Why silence is often the best response to a verbal attack

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #235004 by
Sometimes it's best to let them stew in their own juices.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #235464 by Archon
Silence as a response seems to be very effective. Oftentimes, a verbal attack is designed to draw someone into a confrontation. My daughter has become proficient at this with me, knowing which issues I will respond to. I think she is somewhat frustrated when I return her intended verbal jab with a smile and head nod. I usually can see the frustration she gets when I simply sit there.

The last two days have been peaceful because of this article. Thanks for posting it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #235476 by OB1Shinobi
found a relevant article

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1186123/jewish/SilenceGood-or-Bad.htm

Warning: Spoiler!

particularly, the following lines stood out to me:

"When we are offended or hurt, respectful conversation is the only tool to resolve issues and repair relationships. Remaining silent and refusing to talk is a form of aggression and totally ineffective.

"Being quiet when we should talk creates dysfunction and disunity among us."

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #235487 by

Archon wrote: Silence as a response seems to be very effective. Oftentimes, a verbal attack is designed to draw someone into a confrontation. My daughter has become proficient at this with me, knowing which issues I will respond to. I think she is somewhat frustrated when I return her intended verbal jab with a smile and head nod. I usually can see the frustration she gets when I simply sit there.

The last two days have been peaceful because of this article. Thanks for posting it!

This doesn't feel like a longstanding, productive sort of peace though. I hope it becomes a genuine one through talking and attempting to understand each other :)
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

More
8 years 1 month ago #235489 by rugadd
I think like all potential actions, we should refrain from doing so unless it is the right thing to do, at the right time, for the right reason. There are no cure-alls, after all.

I never take anything on these forums as an absolute because that is giving me permission not to think about it anymore.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, , Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #240580 by
I think it really depends on topic and resons and person.
Mostly silence seems rude like ignoring or
like you are to weak and don't have anything to say.
Especially if you are surrounded with many people in places like work or school,
sielence can often make you a victim of bullying in any form.

More
7 years 11 months ago #240591 by Tellahane
I'm in this exact situation actually, I've had 2 passes at me recently for my last video, and rather then calling someone out on it I'm just letting them feel as special as they want to and respect their opinions, even though they aren't doing the same by any stretch of the means, lead by example right? A lot less stress to deal with by letting it go then to focus so much on someone else's choices in life.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #242000 by
I had the best experience with answering in a quiet voice against verbal attacks and anger.

When someone is angry and talks to you and you just stay quiet, they mostly feel comfortable and calm down. Or they have no reason to get more angry and they know you listen, even if they are angry.

Being silent is only useful, when someone tries to bring you down in a worst personal way, like offending you for your personality or habits.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #242012 by
Silence has also meant consent because to oppose injustice with reason demonstrated the injustice logically demands compensation for its wrongness. Apathy is often a sufferable condition of the injustice of a verbal attack because of the nature of the intent to overpower by greater force rather than by greater reason.

There's need to prove the wrong of an injustice when there are onlookers to demonstrate the injustice is unconsented and wrong. Once the injustice is demonstrated as unconsented and wrong, everyone else knows what to do too. Then leave the situation unescalated.

More
7 years 11 months ago #242028 by x57z12
Silence as a tool of speech to me is too broad of a subject for this one discussion so I will write about the
situation displayed in the link from the first post.

I do agree that, in her situation, after saying she did not wish to speak of this any further that day, silence
might be the best choice. Generally being silent instead of speaking in the heat of the moment may be the
right or best thing to do, however as this moment passes so does the basis of the stance of being silent.

If used continually, it quickly becomes a tool of aggression as it denies the other party any and every kind of
chance to resolve this issue – their only way out would be to accept your point. Deciding not to engage instead
of attacking or defending is not inaction and does not undo the words said before. I believe the notion of ‘I will
be silent and thus this will not concern me’ to be faulty – she was already involved, already part of the argument.
She spoke her part and left her roommate to dwell on it – until the roommate moved out.

Regarding the broader picture: She and her roommate were not the only ones involved. This concerned the third
roommate – the one with the forks – too and allowed them to retain their ways of dealing with property. It
concerned the authors boyfriend too, these rumors more likely than not affected him too and as people do when
spreading rumors, the roommate probably told these a lot of people – all of which were affected, even if most
likely in minor ways.

Her silence protected her from the argument, but also from herself (she did not have to deal with the issue, which
to me was not the missing fork but a roommate badmouthing and attacking her at any possibility). In addition,
her choice of staying silent affected quite a few people around her, at the very least both her roommates and her
boyfriend.

The issue was not resolved but allowed to stay as it was. The conflicted was not resolved but escalated until time
cut it off. The conflict was not contained as it spread and affected more people.

It was not her duty to suffer with her roommate, not even her duty to help the roommate with the suffering or
even merely help with the forks (this would have been possible without engaging the roommate or even
participating in the argument) but I would argue she should have made sure it did not affect others around her.

I would have talked to roommate nr. 3 and gotten those forks back. Hand roommate 1 those and then let silence
be my argument.

If this honestly and absolutely was impossible (and I am not really convinced roommate 3 would have fought for
those forks) I would have bought new ones. A few forks to me don’t justify this kind of stress in my life. And yes,
after that I would make it a point to never use any of their stuff again.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi