Your Eyes Can Deceive You

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222974 by
Replied by on topic Your Eyes Can Deceive You
Thanks man! It is reassuring to know that I can at least appear decent at points.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #223019 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Your Eyes Can Deceive You

Rickie wrote: You know how to get wisdom? As you gain more wisdom you'll trust your gut more.

This is why I wanted to bring up some Jedi teachings. If reliance and reliability of gut feelings is an indicator of wisdom, then I must have been growing more and more unwise since I got here, not so much in spite of what I learned here, but because of it. To me, casting reason aside in favour of the gut is not a sign of wisdom but a sign of foolishness. If I do not reason I cannot be reasoned with. If I cannot be reasoned with, I cannot be taught. If I cannot be taught, I can only change, never grow. And if I cannot grow, why carry on living at all anymore?

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #223056 by
Gisteron I'm not suggesting abandoning reason. I am suggesting if reason isn't enough then trust your gut/instinct/ intuition/feeling. "GIIF"

If reliance and reliability of gut feelings is an indicator of wisdom

I said the opposite, the wiser you become the more confident you can be of your GFII.

I must have been growing more and more unwise since I got here

I doubt that but it is a GIIF feeling. :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #223109 by
Typically, I have found that by becoming more informed, accumulate more experience and/or a more diverse set of experiences, basic logical thinking and situational awareness, the better that gut feeling becomes. The gut is like a lot of other traits in people. It has to be developed - and I feel that reason is one way of doing that. Essentially, by using reason and evidence, one can establish a set of behaviors or responses that then becomes what informs the gut instinct.

All that to say that I do not see them as separate things - if one makes logic a habit of thought, then the gut feelings would not be casting reason aside but rather a reflection/product of it.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi