Luca's Music

More
4 years 9 months ago #339767 by fencingcellist
Replied by fencingcellist on topic Luca's Music
Fabulous! Hope it's something I can play. :-) I'll talk to my pianist friend and see about reading it soon. We are overdue to work on some Dvorak, so we can add your piece to our rehearsal if he's game.

Thank YOU so much!

fencingcellist
"Perfection in art, justice in life." - Colonel Georges Picquart
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #339768 by fencingcellist
P.S. I had a friend build me a very small 5-string cello and would love more music for it. If I work up the nerve, I'll perhaps record something and post it. I've not done any recording since my 20s and did VERY little then. I'm shy of recording but I enjoy live performance. Anyway, once you hear it, perhaps you might be inspired to write for the little cello. But - I don't have the means to do a proper commission at this point, so that will have to wait. Freelance work has been super slow.

fencingcellist

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #339769 by
Replied by on topic Luca's Music
I hope it's not something too difficult or badly written! But if you can play Dvorak you can surely play my music without any problem, I will upload the midi mockup audio on this reply, tomorrow evening I'll send you the cello and piano parts!
I'd gladly write you some 5-strings cello works, no money asked! Since I'm still a student and not a fully fledged composer I don't think it's fair to ask for money!
But I'd really like to write for such a wonderful instrument!

Attachment MemoryofaDream.mp3 not found

I think it's a nice tune, let me know what you think!

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #339770 by fencingcellist
Absolutely beautiful! I encourage anyone else here to listen, too.

As for being a student - you are already a composer even if in some circles you are still a student. It is good to be a life-long student, even if we earn degrees or other official qualifications. Enjoy being a student! I am grateful for your generosity, but perhaps you could consider making a Patreon page or something to get fans to help you along the way. Your music is beautiful.

I know some students who are far better performers than I am - yet I hold a Master's in performance. It is the way of things. No matter how good you are at performance, there is always someone better. This used to make me upset. Now it makes me happy, because I know the tradition will continue, and future audiences have great things they will hear.

So we can talk about baby cello music later. I would be honored to have a piece written by you for me to play. One of my old composer friends just had a cello piece published - one he wrote for me. I have been extremely fortunate to have three composers write for me so far. One was the composer in residence at Oxford! (He was an amazing man - he studied with Messiaen!)

In the meantime, I will try this piece. I know just where I can perform it, with your permission. I look forward to getting the sheet music. No rush, though. I won't see this other pianist until early July since he lives in a different town. However, I'm anxious to try it, even without the piano part. And - I hope you don't mind my saying this - it is gorgeous, but I so wanted some accompanimental pizzicato for some of the arpeggiated sections in the piano. Something along the lines of this version of Faure's Sicilienne, particularly around minute 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YEqATIaGJw Basically, your piece is so good, I wanted more to do as the cellist. ;-)

I'm glad to meet you here! :-)

Keep writing your beautiful music!

fencingcellist
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by fencingcellist.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #339771 by
Thank you so so so much!
I thought some time ago about opening up a Patreon page, but since I'm not so much known around I prefer to wait a little, write the best music I can, and get known a little bit more.
Regarding the performance ability, I think that in the end what matters most in the music is the interpretation you give to the piece, both as a composer and as a performer.
The technique can always improve over time, I think it is the passion the performer and the composer puts in the music is what matters the most.
"to play without passion, unforgivable!".

I have a lot of friends who compose better pieces than I do, but I'm still satisfied now since I made a vow to myself, to always compose with everything I've got.
In the end, I think it can be heard through my music this vow of mine.

Again, thank you so so so so much! I hope to hear it played by you and your pianist friend!
You made me so happy I can't thank you enough!!

(and I will also write the best music I can for your 5-strings cello u.u)

P. S. I didn't think about a pizzicato part, actually it could sound nice! In the next piece I will composer for piano and cello, or solo cello, I will write a wonderful pizzicato part!
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by .

More
4 years 9 months ago #339772 by fencingcellist
Thank YOU for sharing your music! I look forward to playing it - and look forward to the music for my baby cello. :-) Pizzicato or no pizzicato - I'm sure it will be great.

What a great day! I love hearing new music and meeting great composers!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

fencingcellist

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #339811 by
I'm trying as hard as I can to stop thanking you!! :laugh: :laugh:

I'll attach here the piano and cello parts!
Again, thank you very very very much!

May the Force be with You, my friend!

Attachment MemoryofaDream-Violoncello.pdf not found

Attachment MemoryofaDream-FullScore.pdf not found

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
4 years 9 months ago #339820 by fencingcellist
Thank you so much!
I just reached out to the pianist - before I saw you'd posted the sheet music. :-) I will see him at the beginning of July for a show and will talk to him then.

I will keep you posted. My string quartet's next rehearsal is Friday, and I told them about your piece. Again, I'll keep you posted. We might not have enough rehearsal time this week as we are starting a new (to our ensemble) Beethoven quartet - but fingers crossed. I've attempted to add it to the rehearsal list, but I am the junior member, so I don't always get what I want.

More news soon, I hope AND - another piece written for me was just published!!! Not sure I can add the cover image here, but I'll post it somewhere. This is a very exciting time.

Again! Thank you! May the Force be with You, too, my friend!

fencingcellist

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #339874 by
Thank you so so much!
I hope to hear more from you, about the quartet and the Cello&Piano piece!
Again thank you so much!!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #339875 by
New piece!

It's a Walts for solo piano, the n°4 of my Op. 5.
I hope you like it, I took inspiration from the style of Chopin for this one!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi