Next Gen Consoles

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26675 by
Replied by on topic Re:Next Gen Consoles
Regarding the \"why\" on continuing use of CD/DVD over USB... it has to do with the fact that USB sticks are hard to lock down, and commercial DVDs can't be overwritten. Also, it means that they can continue to sell replacements when your optical media gets scratched up.

This may sound cynical, but it's actually what I've been told by media moguls who are really working in the entertainment industry. How's that for cynicism? However, I've never heard of anything within the software industry, other than they're worried about \"software piracy\" (as usual), and DVD/CD offers the best protection against easy duplication... yeah, right.

And, after asking around and looking at the reviews, etc., it actually looks as though the XBox is the better deal for the money. The games are generally less expensive (except for the really popular ones) and more popular in general (except for the cheap ones), and the support in general for the XBox appears to be rated better than the PS series. I don't own a gaming station, but the XBox looks like the better deal to me, assuming your earlier statement about the hardware being identical holds true (I didn't check).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26681 by
Here is my answer to piracy - give customers something worth buying other than an emply plastic box

Rememebr the old album art? ppl would buy 4 or more version of the same LP just to collect the album art.

As for the write/copy protect - if its a sopftware solution to prevent copying of a dvcd - the same can be done to usb - and to prevent 'accidental' overwrite of a pen drive - post production, disconnect the write enable on the drive (make it physically read only) - isnt that essentially how console cartridges work?

Att he end of the day - folk will always fond a way to copy a product no matter what the media

I strongly suspect its more a case of making stuff intentionally fragile

but here is a thought - most people these days who buy a cd (for example) copy it straight to hdd.

Also - the xbox 360 has a HDD which you can legally transfer your game etc to hdd and not need the disk again

soon the day will come when tv's have a usb port for watching home movies on - once that starts - the trend and demand will kick in - lets face it - the customers demand drives the industry (betamax was the better format yet it died cos the public prefered the capacity etc of vhs)

anyway - ordered my 360 now ;)

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 6 months ago #26685 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:Next Gen Consoles
lol they do have a small handfull of lcd tv's that have sony data stick ports on them...my cable dvr has a usb 2.0 port on it...if you buy a rob zombie cd it still comes with art...he does little mini books of original art that serves as the cd sleeve(awesome artwork, the man is a creative mastermind)
as to piracy...find a way to stop it, and someone else will find a way around it...most people i know rent a dvd movie and copy it straight to their hard drive then burn it to disk later
remember the playstation emulator software they use to have...sony got the company shut down even though sony makes most of their money from the software and not the hardware...so if you had the emulator you'd still have to get the game

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26709 by
life was so much easier with a double deck tape recorder :D

MTFBWY - A

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26714 by
If you've ordered a 360 keep your receipt for when it inevitably breaks down, at last count there were five serious things that could go wrong with it. A friend of mine is on his FIFTH (the last four were paid for by Bill Gates, well he's gotta spend his money somehow) and he says he regrets getting the first. PS3 better in every respect, wait until the software houses get the hang of programming for the PS3 then you'll see something special.

Microsoft rush their consoles out and then abandon making software for them way too soon, the Xbox came out way after the PS2 and games retailers shelves were devoid of Xbox games years ago while their are still new ps2 titles coming out.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26715 by
Yeah - Im aware of the rings of doom - but my ps2 is still running strong (I have it permanently linked to my pc)

Ive read that there are 3 or so suppliers of the drives and some are better than others - so first thing i'll do is pop the cover off and find out which drive I have.

Ive also read the super elites have a new chi[set which apparently has improved performance and stability - and a redesign has prevented the notorious overheats as well (and the new chip[s run cooler too)

Im notorious for hoarding receipts - but a straight new console after 2 years or so with no games etc (or even a hdd drive) and i ought top be able to get one (at current rates) for about £120

Thanks for the heads up on the 'issues' tho ;)

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 6 months ago #26720 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:Next Gen Consoles
my brother in law experienced the ring of death on one machine and a different issue on his other, however we found a technician that repaired both and made the necessary mods himself to keep them from having more issues(other then the overheating,which can taken care of by keeping the system in an open area instead of in an entertainment center. have heard that microsoft has resolved the issues in the newest systems, i think that is part of the reason why they only offer 2 versions now instead of 3, and the previous issues may be part of the reason for the price drop...competition being the other reason....if you're good at soldering you can wire in your own cooling fan :P

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26722 by
well - got my box today - i dont see a need to modify it for coling - there are plenty of air holes - in fact it looks more like a cheese grater theres that many holes - so the over heat I suspect is as said - ppl stuffing the box into cupboards etc

as for the other 'fiddles' im guessing your in the USA but until the warrenty expires - i wont even think about 'hardware' mods etc - but if they can be fixed that way - why dont microsoft just do it in the first place - surely it would mbe more cost effective to do so than pay for replacements every 3 months or whatever.

Anyway - found another downside - i cant run it thru my pctv card - the card cant do 60hz display which most the xbox games seem to need - so i'll have to 'borrow' the family TV or wait for my xbox to monitor lead to arrive (im told this gives the best picture quality - even beating hdmi)

The ethernet cable is quite short too (in fact all the standard supplied leads are short) but nothing that cant be fixed ;)

Here is a thought - if an ebox can be hooked up to the net - has anyone written a virus to target xbox?

Given that there are many microsoft haters out there - i'll bet it'll happen sooner or later.

MTFBWY - A

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26726 by
Kana Seiko Haruki wrote:

Here is a thought - if an ebox can be hooked up to the net - has anyone written a virus to target xbox?

Given that there are many microsoft haters out there - i'll bet it'll happen sooner or later.

MTFBWY - A

I'm working on it.Have patience;)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi