geting back in shape

More
11 years 7 months ago #73101 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Re: geting back in shape

Learn_To_Know wrote:

Archaic Smile wrote: I'm really tempted to try P90x

does anyone want to go through a cycle of it with me?

Sure!

I'll go through a cycle of it with you (I'm currently in the middle of it, but I can start over, too).

Let me know when you're ready to start and we can keep a thread open here to track our progress (and maybe some other Jedi will join in with us, too).

Don't think I'll do P90x at the moment, but I'll follow you guys doing just a Yoga routine for 90 days. Should get me back to where I want to be. :)

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #73118 by
Replied by on topic Re: geting back in shape

Archaic Smile wrote:
I have to get it first! @_@ is this as cheap as it gets?

omg I'm scared, I've never done this before.... I think we can do it though!

Of course you can do it, haha. :)

It's a small investment up front, sure. At the bare minimum (besides purchasing the product) you'll want to get the pull-up bar and some resistance bands. About a year ago I traded in my resistance bands and got dumbbells instead, but that will cost a lot more money than just getting the bands.

Anyway, if you decide to purchase it and begin the program, shoot me a PM and we'll start it together and track our progress (always good for accountability, haha). I'm always doing the program so it's no big deal to start over. :)

MTFBWY,
LTK

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #73119 by
My goodness V-Tog, haha!

It is SO much more than that: it's a culture, a fitness revolution!

Saying it involves watching a DVD of a workout for 90 days is like saying I'm casually jogging away from an attacking lion. It's INTENSE BABY!

If you're not a sweaty pig at the end of the workout, you're doing it wrong!

Hahahaha.

V-Tog wrote: I'd never heard of P90X before, how am I the only one who doesn't know what it is? :laugh:

So from what I can gather, it involves watching a DVD of a workout and doing the workout yourself in front of the TV? For 90 days?

I don't think there's enough space to do a workout anywhere in my house, let alone right in front of a TV...

More
11 years 7 months ago #73122 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: geting back in shape
It's freeweights and treadmill for me (in my garage). I try and do Yoga sometimes but it ends up an exercise more then a stretch or meditation. I like using the Insanity vids now and then to make me feel unfit and lazy!!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
11 years 7 months ago #73129 by Reacher
Replied by Reacher on topic Re: geting back in shape
I've been using the www.militaryathlete.com website for about the last 3 years now. It's a branch-off from the Mountain Athlete website (www.mtnathlete.com/) based out of Jackson Hole Wyoming. It got its start training mountaineers to perform during their summits, and did so well that other types of athletes approached them for help. Eventually some guys from military approached the owner and it has really taken off since. The Mountain Athlete side offers a number of different training programs for various purposes now. Run by the same guys as Mil Athlete, its tailored to a different audience with different goals in mind. The results I've seen have been phenomenal, both in the gym and translated to the world at large. I'd recommend either site to anyone.

Crossfit is another good community, but nothing comes close to what I've experienced from the guys out of JH, WY.

Guys, if nothing, just take a look. There is a LOT more out there than basic free-weight power and olympic lifts. Functional fitness, it's called. If it doesn't translate to real life...then why do it?

Also, memberships and gym equipment can get pricy. One of the great things about programs like crossfit and certain parts of the MA and MTN is that you can make some of your own equipment for dirt cheap. All you need is a little ingenuity. 80 pounds of weight cost me about 15 bucks US, and I've had it for going on two and a half years now. I use it at least once a week.

Again, here are some sites:

www.mtnathlete.com

www.militaryathlete.com

www.crossfit.com

Good luck. :)

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
11 years 7 months ago #73130 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: geting back in shape

Reacher wrote: Guys, if nothing, just take a look. There is a LOT more out there than basic free-weight power and olympic lifts. Functional fitness, it's called. If it doesn't translate to real life...then why do it?

For ectomorphs it can be hard to build muscle tissue. Functional fitness is quite easy to acquire in a relatively short time, if you already have the muscle tissue, but if you do not have much then my focus would be on that as it takes much longer to acquire in my opinion. More conventional lifting is about building the actual muscle only, I think.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago #78227 by
You should be more concerned about the function of a muscle and it's associated group than how these muscles look. Wanting your muscles to look pretty is the world for body builders. Wanting your muscles to be capable of some truely badass shit is the realm of function over form. I'd suggest you look into Tacfit or invest in a kettlebell, either one is capable of spanking you into phenomenal shape.

If your main concern is to lose body fat then switch to a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet. I mean really low carb, like 50-100 grams a day at most. It's a state called Ketosis and it takes some getting use to but it will rip the body fat from you. However, I would not suggest it if you are any kind of athlete of physical laborer, the fat for fuel isn't fast enough to supply a high demand of physical activity. You would need more carbs in that case.

Fitness and nutrition has been an obsession of mine for a few years now, feel free to hit me up if you ever want some advice. I wouldn't suggest anything that I haven't tried on myself.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #78246 by

discordor wrote: If your main concern is to lose body fat then switch to a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet.

Wait, What? Did you just say to drop body fat I need a high fat diet? I get the moderate protein and low carb...but could you please explain the high fat?
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago #78260 by
Indeed I did say high fat. But quality fats, animal fats, plant fats such as avacado and macadamias, coconut oil for cooking and olive oil for taste. Oh and especially oily fish, most people are not getting near enough fish oil in their diets. Run away from trans fats and polyunsat fats like they are the plague. We all know trans fats are bad, but most people don't know that polyunsaturated fats (certain vegetable oils mainly) are showing up as a cause of systemic inflammation. But anyway.

Eating a high fat diet will keep you feeling full longer AND give you plenty of fuel for daily activities. Fat is a more steady and smooth fuel whereas carbs tend to spike and crash, mainly due to insulin. Preventing the insulin roller coaster is the number one key to losing body fat.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago #78261 by
Awesome!! Thanks for that! I would have thought, as I'm sure most people would have, that the best way to drop body fat would be to stop consuming fats as much as possible in all forms (including carbs), thus forcing your body to burn the stores it has built up for "lean" times. The way you explain it tho, the high fat diet does kinda make sense...

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi