Wellness Wednesday

More
2 years 6 months ago #363211 by Tobias
Replied by Tobias on topic Wellness Wednesday
Hello friends. Sorry, I forgot to post yesterday, so here we go on Thursday this time. Today I want to show you one of the videos where I get my information from that I present to you. Today I want to not tell you what I learned by watching the video, I want to show the video directly to you, because I don´t think I can summarize it any further. I am also thinking about doing this more often because I think that M. Greger can explain some things much better to you than I can. Anyway: Enjoy this video about nuts and their amazing ability to burn calories while you eat them:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/nuts-and-obesity-the-weight-of-evidence/

Have a good time, may the Force be with you.

Tobias

You must unlearn what you have learned.

Teaching Master: Rosalyn J

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #363338 by Tobias
Hallo friends.

To conclude our conversation about nuts and seeds: how much nuts or seeds should we eat in one day? Well, it seems that the best option would be to eat at least 30 g of nuts or seeds out of the list I posted 2 weeks ago OR 2 tablespoons of unsweetened nut butter.

Next week we are going to talk about the last of the nutrients I want to tell you about: whole grains. If we truly stick to a plant based diet, this is the stuff that delivers our calories for the day, that make as full and satisfied.

But Wellness Wednesday is not going to end after this chapter, we are still gonna talk about how much water we should drink in a day and how much exercise we are supposed to do.

And after all this I am going to keep you up to date with the newest results of research concerning nutrition.

So, until next week,

May the Force be with you.

Tobias

The following user(s) said Thank You: River

More
2 years 6 months ago #363458 by Tobias
Hello friends.

So far we have talked about a lot of healthy stuff to eat, but finally we need something that makes us really full and satisfied. I don´t know what you think, but I can eat a lot of vegetables and fruit, but that doesn´t make me full for more than a few hours. But – whole grains – are on the one hand healthy and on the other hand they make us full for several hours and satisfy very well. In this series I want to first start about what whole grains are and how much we should ideally eat of them each day, and next week I am going to show you why it is a good idea to eat them.

So what are whole grains? Here we go:

Barley,
Buckwheat,
Millet,
Oats,
Popcorn,
Quinoa,
Rye,
Teff,
Whole-wheat pasta.

We are looking for the “whole grain”, so no refined wheat or anything!

How much should we eat ideally each day:

3 serving sizes

What is ONE serving size:

100 g hot cereal or cooked grains, pasta, or corn kernels
50 g cold cereal
1 tortilla or slice of bread
½ a bagel or English muffin
30 g popped popcorn

Yes, even popcorn is a very good idea! Great to hear isn´t it?

So, until next week!

May the Force be with yall.

Tobias

The following user(s) said Thank You: River, Vincent Causse, Serenity Amyntas

More
2 years 5 months ago #363627 by Tobias
Hi.

I have decided to from now on show you Michael Greger´s videos directly, because I think no one can describe it better than him.

Today I have picked a video about whole grains and what effects they have on our microbiome and what that means for our health.

So have fun with the video.

Yours Tobias, may the Force be with you.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/gut-microbiome-strike-it-rich-with-whole-grains/

The following user(s) said Thank You: River, Vincent Causse

More
2 years 5 months ago #363780 by Tobias
Hi friends.

Do you want to know, why it is a better choice to eat oatmeal than cereals?

Here you go, may the Force be with you all.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/which-is-a-better-breakfast-cereal-or-oatmeal/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Causse

More
2 years 5 months ago #363968 by Tobias
Hello friends.

Look at this video and eat like a gladiator! Yes! May the Force be with you.

Tobias

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-gladiator-diet-how-vegetarian-athletes-stack-up/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Vincent Causse

More
2 years 5 months ago #364148 by Tobias
Hello friends.

Let´s talk about something we haven´t talked about so far namely beverages. First of all what kind of beverages should we drink to stay healthy. Well, you should stay away from any beverage that contains alcohol. Yes, there is evidence that regular intake of small amounts of alcohol may improve your cholesterol and lower your risk of suffering from cardiovascular diseases. BUT. There is also evidence that alcohol intake does NOT do any of this. Only, you will perhaps not know about this kind of evidence because it is not that popular. Also alcohol consumption goes along with a high risk of developing cancer. You might get cancer in your mouth or esophagus or larynx. I can´t show you all the evidence here but believe me, seen from an honest perspective as a whole: you get off best if you avoid alcohol completely in your life. You might however decide that you don´t want to restrain from alcohol completely, well that is okay, but try to be honest about it and be aware of the risks, don´t make this mistake that most people make by claiming it might in the end be good for your health. Evidence shows that this is not true.

Coffee is a good option if you are looking for a good beverage. Coffee is addictive, yes, we will talk about this later, but coffee is also good for your health in many ways, I will tell you more about coffee next week.

Tea is an excellent idea also. We might talk about that as well later on.

In the end any beverage that does not contain sugar and / or alcohol and / or fat is a good option, something like… water for example.

Stay away from milk if you want to stay healthy.

Hibiscus tea is something very special and deserves its own Wellness Wednesday.

Now: HOW MUCH should we drink each day? That is a difficult question, or is it not perhaps? You might perhaps have heard very often that it is a good idea to drink very much water every day, that is good to drink “at least” 2 litres every day. Let me put it in a nutshell: This is NOT true. Evidence even shows that drinking too much water may actually damage your health in the end. Drinking not enough isn´t good either? Well then how much? One litre? Two litres? Thress litres?

I have a surprise for you: it is very easy.

Drink, when you´re thirsty. That´s it.

As long as you don´t suffer from any kind of condition, especially an illness of your kidneys, you can rely on your body completely! Your body knows exactly how much water you have already taken in by eating food, how much you lose through your skin and your lungs and so on. It shows you that you need water when you feel thirsty. Drink water or tea or coffee (yes, coffee, if you like it – which is important as you will see next week) when you feel thirsty until you´re not thirsty any more. It IS that easy! Wonder why? Well, our body hasn´t changed much in the last 10000 years. If it was complicated, who knows where we would be today? Haha.

Well, I am leaving you with the good news that is not difficult to stay healthy in the end. Have a nice week and may the Force be with you.

Tobias

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, River

More
2 years 5 months ago #364289 by Tobias
Hello friends.

I have promised you to talk more about coffee this week, so here we go.

Coffee is a good beverage for your health, because evidence shows that drinking coffee has a lot of benefitial effects such as improving your cholesterol levels and your cardiovascular health IF you like coffee.

Isn´t that great? Nature has arranged that people who are so called slow metabolizers of coffee, who will NOT have any benefitital effects from drinking coffee, usually don´t like coffee because it feels agitating and uncomfortable for them to drink coffee. If you are a fast metabolizer for caffeine, which is most common, you will like coffee and drink it often, because coffee is addictive. Yes, it is addictive, nearly as addictive as nicotine. Restraining from caffeine after regular use leads to headaches, craving, being tired and having difficulties concentrating. So, if you like coffee, go ahead and enjoy because you will benefit from it.

Now, one last thing I have to tell you about coffee is, that coffee is the more healthy the less particles it contains. That means: the least healthy is coffee cooked on a stove like it is done in Turkey and Greece, next comes the French press, and then espresso from an espresso machine. The best coffee with only benefitial effects is coffee handbrewed; filtered coffee as ist contains nearly no particles at all.

So, go ahead and enjoy your coffee, if you like it, if you don´t, stay away from it.

May the Force be with you.

Yours, Tobias

The following user(s) said Thank You: River, Vincent Causse

More
2 years 4 months ago #364854 by Tobias
Hallo friends.

I have to apologize, I have been very sick during the last weeks and because of that I completely forgot about posting here. This week I want to show you a video about tea, and about one tea in particular: hibiscus tea. After this video, I suppose, we have said everything about fluids and drinking that I think there is to say. In the next post I will briefly talk to you about exercise and then I will have said everything that I know about nutrition so far. After that I think I will just give you some interesting facts here and there that I stumble upon. So, well, here is the video, enjoy:
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/hibiscus-tea-vs-plant-based-diets-for-hypertension/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan, River, Vincent Causse

More
2 years 3 months ago #365185 by Tobias
Wellness Wednesday

Have you ever asked yourself, how much exercise would be best for your health? Well, I want to keep it really short today, I am still very occupied, but evidence shows that 90 minutes of moderate exercise like walking or instead 45 minutes of vigorous exercise are optimal every day.

Welt, now you could say that this is probably not applicable for most of us. Indeed it is not. But evidence also shows that already 3 times moderate exercise a week for only 20 minutes makes a big difference for your health.

For my part I have decided to go on an approximately one hour walk every day, it the weather isn't too bad.

Most of you probably do more exercise than that. If not, you should give it a try, you will definitely feel the effects very soon.

May the Force be with you all.

Tobias

The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan, River, Vincent Causse, Serenity Amyntas

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi