Open Forum Fitness Discussion and Testimony

More
3 years 7 months ago #354756 by Skryym
I've never bicycled explicitly for a workout - but I routinely bicycle to class and errands where I live. It's an older mountain bike that only works well in high gear, so I really pump the pedals. In fact, sometimes I think my hip pain can be attributed to that...

Maybe i'm using the wrong bicycle, but I get very uncomfortable after 10 miles. Now rollerblading may be a different story...

There is no bad weather, only bad attitudes and bad attire. - Gandalf the Grey
TM: Loudzoo
Skryym's Novice Journal | Meditation Journal | Apprentice Journal | Skryym's 2022 IP Journal |
B.Div Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Verheilen

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #354762 by Verheilen

Skryym wrote: Maybe i'm using the wrong bicycle, but I get very uncomfortable after 10 miles. Now rollerblading may be a different story...

Oh man, just thinking about rollerblading makes my lower back hurt. :laugh:

Knight, Knight's Secretary, Moderator, and Councilor

IP Journal
A Div. Journal
B Div. Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skryym

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 7 months ago #354773 by
Oh, I know this one! If your back hurts from skating, it's because of the way you use so many core muscles for balance when skating. A lot of beginners will have their weight too far back on the foot, and that causes the whole body to do a sort of bottom to top wiggle. If it's too fast, it can feel more like your feet whipped your whole body around. This really causes a lot of stress on the lower back, because those muscles aren't usually well developed and aren't very good at stabilizing for that kind of sudden move. (Especially if you're tensing from worry.) Starting slow and learning to fall backwards properly really helps, because then instead of "fighting the fall" and hurting your back, you can just kinda relax and roll into the fall to avoid injury. I know it sounds scary, but once you get good at falling, it's actually kinda fun. The thing I like most about learning a new trick is how many times I get to do spectacular falls before I master the trick. If you want to learn the art of falling well, beginner judo videos really help.

More
3 years 6 months ago #354812 by Skryym
That explains so much of the process of beginning to learn both ice skating and roller skating. Thanks, Eqin. Fortunately I think I've moved past that - but my form could still be terrible when it comes to running but I would have no idea because I've never had a trainer.

There is no bad weather, only bad attitudes and bad attire. - Gandalf the Grey
TM: Loudzoo
Skryym's Novice Journal | Meditation Journal | Apprentice Journal | Skryym's 2022 IP Journal |
B.Div Journal

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi