Is this life worth living? Why?

More
4 years 5 months ago #344376 by JamesSand

Close enough. In other words, its against the law so just deal with it lol
Looks like thats as good an answer as im going to get

For clarity - I would prefer it was not against the law.

For various pragmatic reasons, I can't simply say "well I disagree with that law" and march into the old folks home dispensing compassion as I see fit....

Well, I suppose I could, but it'd be a one-time-only sort of deal, and might limit my future opportunities....
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #344377 by Amaya

Kelrax Lorcken wrote: Now, see, I don't see it that way.

It seems like it's being presented as a discussion on the pros/cons of "death with dignity ", but I just didn't find any such connection between that discussion and the content of the video.

I think it's also, perhaps unavoidably, a forced perspective- the pro side thus far speaks as though the situation was having come to that state, previously knowing a different life, but that's not what happened, one can't suffer the loss of something they've never known. In the case of the film, here, that's everything he's ever known, likely ever will know.

Furthermore, though he does suffer frustration in his efforts to communicate, that's true of most people, especially in our teen years and is not a reliable sign of qol. Not to mention, his ability to communicate and express over time has improved; his family has, with some success, taught him to sign, as an example, and his ability to recognize and interact with his environment improved, even if not radically so. He seems pretty happy, overall, and I think that should be taken into consideration; is he actually suffering?

The care he receives, as well, I think is overlooked, yet very much relevant to assessing his qol.

I think I'll conclude bye admitting maybe I'm also forcing a perspective? I wouldn't want to die, simply for someone else finding the prospect of living, as I do, unacceptable.

I was looking at it from a personal perspective..
So yes, I was thinking on going from how I am now to that state..
It is everything he has known and is likely to know.. So his quality of life isn't that likely to improve.. Well we dont really know do we? I mean what exactly is quality of life? How do we judge? I can only judge from my own experiences and from what I have learned.. To see a life so vastly different from what I have know, I see a trapped soul in a body that doesnt seem to work..
Is he happy? Does he really understand that word? Is it just all he knows and we put our own interpretation on it, happy, frustrated, trapped...
Is he suffering? Same thing..
The care he receives is amazing and the love comes through.
I dont think I could do as his parents do but then I am not in that position.
From where I am I see kids change everyday, grow everyday.. It would break my heart to think that they were in that position.

The only thing I disagree with is one cant suffer the loss of something they've never know.

But I see your point and don't wish to turn this into a discussion on the pro/cons of death with dignity.. I was just thinking aloud.

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi

More
4 years 5 months ago #344390 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Is this life worth living? Why?
So this whole discussion begs the question is life worth living for a "regular" human. Who can evaluate the QoL for a person? Is it only that person, if so is suicide always justified (throwback to whoever mentioned Camus earlier)? If it's someone else, what gives someone else the right to that?

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

More
4 years 5 months ago #344395 by forestjedi
Interesting video, thank you for sharing it.

Unlike some in the thread, I believe keeping someone alive against their wishes is cruel, and that voluntary euthanasia is morally correct. This kid isn't expressing a desire to die, thus from my perspective, it's beyond anyone else's authority to decide whether or not life is worth living for them.

Perhaps they are happier every single day than you or I will ever be. How can you know? Perhaps their internal life is as vibrant, rich and rewarding as any other. I hope it is.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #346714 by
Replied by on topic Is this life worth living? Why?
This is so controvercial question. Noone may give advice in such situationes. Anyway, everyone has their own opinion.
As I didn't face with such a deal in my life, but if I were that man, I'd done everything for the boy to feel better. I mean, if a child is already born, you should do all the best to make his life better. Othervise, you had to do an abortion, but before his birth.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi