The Man Thread: a discussion (and celebration) of masculinity

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332831 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: In the first place toxic masculinity is not real

This is such a prevalent issue in our culture that I can't breeze by this without feeling the responsibility to ask you why you would make this kind of assertion. I have three questions: What is toxic masculinity to you? What is toxic masculinity to society? And, why do you think they don't exist?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332832 by

Connor L. wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: In the first place toxic masculinity is not real

This is such a prevalent issue in our culture that I can't breeze by this without feeling the responsibility to ask you why you would make this kind of assertion. I have three questions: What is toxic masculinity to you? What is toxic masculinity to society? And, why do you think they don't exist?

These sorts of claims are no different than assertions that male privilege exists. There is just no evidence to support them. If you believe in toxic masculinity do you also believe toxic femininity?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332833 by
For anything, there is a toxic version of it. Toxic Christianity, Toxic World of Warcraft Players, Toxic Car Drivers.

Its not a problem to be part of that group. The problem comes in taking the worst aspects of it and ramping it up to 12.

So yes. There is toxic masculinity and there is of course toxic femininity.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332836 by

Arisaig wrote: So yes. There is toxic masculinity and there is of course toxic femininity.[/color]

Sorry but you are wrong. To emphasize group identity over individuality in a disparaging way is invalid because it causes cognitive bias.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332838 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Arisaig wrote: So yes. There is toxic masculinity and there is of course toxic femininity.[/color]

Sorry but you are wrong. To emphasize group identity over individuality in a disparaging way is invalid because it causes cognitive bias.

Never said anything about group identity, and in fact am pointing out individual decision. Read the entire post.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332840 by OB1Shinobi
Great discussion, i may chime in eventually, myself. Not exacy consistent with the intended theme. Id like to request we take the debates about the existence of toxicity and prejudice to this thread

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/open-discussions/122143-debating-the-existence-of-toxic-masculinity-femininity

People are complicated.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332841 by

Arisaig wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Never said anything about group identity, and in fact am pointing out individual decision. Read the entire post.

So can a female be guilty of toxic masculinity?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332843 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: Great discussion, i may chime in eventually, myself. Not exacy consistent with the intended theme. Id like to request we take the debates about toxicity and prejudice to this thread

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/open-discussions/122143-debating-the-existence-of-toxic-masculinity-femininity

What is the intended theme? I posted a set of comments in that theme and was challenged. You have also been challenged in this thread. this seems to be a pervasive issue that I think is best addressed in this thread. People cant seem to celebrate this without inserting their own preconceived biases.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332845 by OB1Shinobi

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

OB1Shinobi wrote: Great discussion, i may chime in eventually, myself. Not exacy consistent with the intended theme. Id like to request we take the debates about toxicity and prejudice to this thread

What is the intended theme? I posted a set of comments in that theme and was challenged. You have also been challenged in this thread. this seems to be a pervasive issue that I think is best addressed in this thread. People cant seem to celebrate this without inserting their own preconceived biases.

Built into this thread is the presupposition that masculinity is fundamentally a good thing. Im not going to even acknowledge any challenge to that thesis, here. The purpose and premise of this thread is to acknowledge and clarify that goodness, not to debate it. This thread is meant to be a supportive and positive experience for everyone involved. Im also hoping to hear more peoples answers to the questions i posted (from both the men and the women) and allowing the topic to enter into the debate of toxicity will stifle that.

We may have to sort through the debate points first, but id like to keep the debates themselves separate, please.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Kobos,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332847 by
My father stepped out of the picture when I was quite young. He came back, after a few years, but only phsycially. He was never really active in my life beyond supporting the family.

Mostly, I was raised by mother, with my sister, cousins (all female), my aunt, and my uncle (who is easily a definition of toxic masculinity).

So, as a result, I was left without male role models well into my life.

So, I ended up turning to books where I discovered Aragon, son of Arathorn.

To me, he is the hight of masculinity. He is strong, capable, dependable, loyal, and a leader (albeit unwillingly). But, he is also caring, passionate (openly mourning, kissing his friends, embracing his allies, not afraid to be seen as vulnerable). He can be tender and soft with those he loves, but also a stone wall to his enemies. He knows when to be quiet, and also when to charge in with a war cry on his lips.

Growing up, he was my hero. The movies only bolstered that image, Viggo portraying him masterfully.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi