No Idea where to start.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287813 by
Replied by on topic No Idea where to start.

AveryR1988 wrote: Yoga: A few of you have mentioned it. I did some research and I'm a little confused on what types everyone ment.
Also I was under the impression yoga was primarily used to develop flexibility. Can it really be an effective workout?

This is just my own personal opinion. Im quite sure some folks here might dissagree ;)

however

Yoga is pretty much what you focus your mind for it to be. If you want it to be effective in working out. It will be :) Basically anything that gets you moving and your heart rate raised past normal levels.....Is an effective workout.

I actually created a Jedi Yoga style and training. Ill post a link to the Chart but if you want the training link you'll have to PM me :)

http://www.freewebs.com/p626/Complete%20Cheat%20Chart.png

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #287827 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic No Idea where to start.

AveryR1988 wrote: Yoga: A few of you have mentioned it. I did some research and I'm a little confused on what types everyone ment.
Also I was under the impression yoga was primarily used to develop flexibility. Can it really be an effective workout?

Yes it can! DDP yoga, pm me and I'll tell you about it in more detail...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #287829 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic No Idea where to start.

"Never give less than 110%!"

Yes, well it's always been my understanding that a key prerequisite for being a fitness coach (or joining "The Forces" either way) is failing basic math.

I'll more or less agree with more or less everything Ob1 said.
He pretty much just saved you the cost of a 5-evening fitness course at the local community college, so there you go (also, he just put some poor person trying to make a living out of a few bucks. Well done Ob1, taking food right out of the mouth's of someone's family)

You mentioned something about plate size? - My response is more or less "who cares" and I see no reason to buy new crockery based on it's diameter outside of it has to fit in this great new occasional kitchen storage thing you found at Ikea (whatever works for you though) - It does lead to an interesting point (which someone else may have mentioned)

Diet is important. It's also basically the easiest thing to fix. You can't eat crap if you don't buy it.

Make a list of meals, work out the ingredients - then buy those and put them in your fridge/cupboard.

You won't eat crisps, ice creams, candies, whatever else is on your naughty list IF YOU DON'T BUY THEM AND PUT THEM IN YOUR HOUSE.

If you exercise discipline once a week in the grocery store, the next 6 days look after themselves ;)

(You did mention you are low income, which might mean you're living on rice and pasta....which is not ideal...I leave it to you to work out that side of the issue, and whether or not you're in a situation where you can grow your own spinach and potatoes etc etc)

Yoga: A few of you have mentioned it. I did some research and I'm a little confused on what types everyone ment.

Flexibility...if you want to call it that, is a part of your training - You can't just run 1hr on the treadmill (or do anything else) towel off and call it a day. Stretching, breathing (and foam/ball rolling) is all a part of keeping your meat sack in tip top shape.
Certain types of Yoga are also effective cardio strength workouts in and of themselves.

Weights: I don't mind getting stronger but I don't really want to bulk up (being female and all lol). So correct me if I'm wrong but, I should be working on 1-2 sets of 1-5 reps of heavy weights, and 1-2 sets of 12 reps with a weight that pushes me to the limit for endurance with a rest period of 2-3 days for each muscle group? can/should I do the strength and endurance sets the same day or split them up? Also is it good to do 1 exercise for 1 set and another for the 2nd, or should I just stick with 1 exercise for both? Honestly weights confuse me because they seems so technical.

I think Ob1 said start with an "endurance" style programme - low weight, decent reps, etc.

This is good for two reasons - it lets you practice all the moves without ripping a tendon out or anything, and you'll still build up a "baseline" strength.

Honestly, just find a beginner programme from The Internet that you think you can achieve - Getting into the technicals this early before you even know where you are is....mostly pointless.

I don't mind getting stronger but I don't really want to bulk up

Requoted because this is a classic line (mostly from females) -

You won't.

No one in the history of all human kind has gone to the gym for 6 months, and accidentally become the hulk.

Do strength training, with weights - you'll get leaner long before you get huge (most people trying to bulk up still don't bulk up)

The Interval and high intensity interval concepts can be applies to almost any exercise, including weights. People with higher body fat levels sometimes (not always) find it easier on their joints to start with elipticals, rowing machines, or stationary bikes, than to run. If youre gym has a pool or if you have access to a pool, swimming is imo one of the best exercises ever.. it gives resistance to your musckes, forces you to focus on your breathing, allows whatever level of intensity you lre capable of

I wanted to amplify this one from Ob1 (if my opinion is worth anything) -

I absolutely recommend ellipticals, rowing machines, and swimming - Thanks to genetics (see the evolution thread :P ) I am not *particularly* well designed for running (it's being fixed)
Cross trainers gives a great workout without destroying your joints, I just happen to like rowing.
I'll save my biggest recommendation for swimming if you can access the pool - swimming is a brilliant workout, forces you to control your breathing (it's sort of pass/fail in that respect) strengths your upper body (lots of other cardio doesn't) and the BEST part - Your head is underwater so you don't have to see or listen to

A. The other idiots in the gym.
B. Anything else.

Swimming for me is cardio, gives me rockin' "wings", and is when I get most of my "meditating" done.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi