Weapon Forms (Tai Chi)

More
7 years 4 months ago #268965 by JamesSand
Notwithstanding arguments about how to spell or say Tai chi.....
(Which makes searching for the topic a bit tedious :P )

More or less against the advice of my instructor, I'm thinking of starting a weapon form for Tai Chi - Does anyone have any experience with this? Which weapon forms do you enjoy the most? Where/What companies make good tai chi weapons?

I'm looking at straight sword or staff.

Possibly determined by my ability to get a nice/affordable straight sword :P

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #268970 by
Replied by on topic Weapon Forms (Tai Chi)
I would personally choose the Light Saber...;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #268972 by
But why? Tai Chi, as I understand, is a spiritual practice that had a martial parallel which has since been lost. I don't know how accurate that is with historical information we have on the origin of various martial arts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #268973 by
There is a reason why there are different Spellings ;)

One is Martial

One is Spiritual/Health

If you wish to start learning...Might I advice learning the history, philosophy of it? :) It will help you to understand the variance of practices.

Myself...I prefer Kendo. :)

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #268975 by Tarran
Replied by Tarran on topic Weapon Forms (Tai Chi)

Jamie Stick wrote: But why? Tai Chi, as I understand, is a spiritual practice that had a martial parallel which has since been lost. I don't know how accurate that is with historical information we have on the origin of various martial arts.

Mweeell, I think I know what you mean... but Tai Qi Q'uan (yep, different spellings abound, but same school of thought) actually has an internal form (more ivolved with what we might call the Force) as well as an external form - perhaps that's what you're talking about?

As far as "spiritual" goes, a lot of practitioners were Taoist... but interestingly, religious Taoism sprang forth from academic Taoism ;)

But back on topic, I'd have to say the lion sword (perhaps a pair), and the staff... definitely :)

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Tarran.

More
7 years 4 months ago #269014 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Weapon Forms (Tai Chi)
To clarify - I currently practice Tai chi, and have done for a while, and am looking to expand with a weapon form.

As I don't currently study or practice any of the weapon forms, I was wondering if anyone here had some input as to styles they have used or enjoyed.

My Trainer/Mentor in Tai Chi is...recalcitrant about helping me in this direction.

Whether because he thinks I'm not good enough to start, or that he's not good enough to instruct, or some other issue is beyond me at the moment (I know he at least knows some staff forms that I've seen him doing)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269018 by
Could be he has a very very good reason that should be listened to/considered ;)

Google and Youtube

:)

More
7 years 4 months ago #269037 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Weapon Forms (Tai Chi)
When I was studying Tai Chi and Shaolin Kung Fu, I learned to use to guan dao. It's really fun to work with and it's easy to use with Tai Chi Chuan fundamentals.

As for Tai Chi Chuan as non-martial, I'm not sure where people are getting that. I have never seen a standalone Tai Chi Chuan school (and I've been to about a dozen in the area) which doesn't stress martial application and competitive push hands and/or free sparring. The only non-martial (health/spirituality-based) Tai Chi Chuan I've seen taught has been in small groups, mostly among the elderly. Perhaps that's unique to my location, though.

More
7 years 4 months ago #269039 by Leah Starspectre

TheDude wrote: As for Tai Chi Chuan as non-martial, I'm not sure where people are getting that. I have never seen a standalone Tai Chi Chuan school (and I've been to about a dozen in the area) which doesn't stress martial application and competitive push hands and/or free sparring. The only non-martial (health/spirituality-based) Tai Chi Chuan I've seen taught has been in small groups, mostly among the elderly. Perhaps that's unique to my location, though.

http://www.taoist.org/

This org has schools everywhere. It's where I learned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheDude

More
7 years 4 months ago #269045 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic Weapon Forms (Tai Chi)
I've thought about jumping in some tai chi classes around me, my only problem is the days I work one week are the days I'm off the next week and visa versa so these "weekly" classes that run for 9 weeks or 3 months at a time I would miss every other class, and they aren't usually to fond about that. I'm trying another place now to see if they have a way of working some extra time before or after or something where I could attend and work around my schedule.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi