vegetarian/vegan health

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242514 by
vegetarian/vegan health was created by
I just decided to go vegetarian for ethical reasons a few weeks ago. I used to eat a lot of meat. I now no longer eat any type of meat, but I am still eating some eggs and dairy products which I may end up giving up at a later date. Surprisingly I am not really craving meat, but I am eating more carbs then I did before. Any suggestions for how to keep the carbs down on a vegetarian diet ? I don't think being a carbatarian is healthy. I don't really like salad, but I do like most vegetables I just don't know how to cook them. I'm trying to teach myself to cook now.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242519 by
Replied by on topic vegetarian/vegan health
Mushrooms offer a wide range of flavor.
A steamer rack is a good way to cook most vegetables.
For some people, just cutting gluten can help with carbs. Do you like rice?

Good for you learning how to cook. I think that's one of the basic survival tools of being a human. Right there along with building a shelter and making clothes. I used to be a chef at a summer camp in California, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #242698 by

I don't think being a carbatarian is healthy. I don't really like salad, but I do like most vegetables I just don't know how to cook them. I'm trying to teach myself to cook now.

I am vegetarian :blush: Whatever you try to cook if you boil vegetables too long it will go from tasty to nasty and liquid! (sprouts) If you pick something that taste bad, and you add something tasty to it.. it will become tasty.. Like Sauerkraut , but as a oven dish for example! :side:

Combine not only common food in your diet, try forgotten vegetables too, like the Pattypan for example..! The way you add things to boil is highly important, just try things out.. If you do not have enough knowledge of this diet type however you can become ill easily..

PS. I do not like salad too.. :laugh:
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242706 by
There are a lot of Vegan cookbooks out there , if you buy 2 of them you have a good range of ideas , i know you are not vegan , but i bought one of these to vary the way i cook veggies , i found out i like them stirr fried in a little oil hmm with Kurkuma and a little salt , nom nom :cheer:

http://www.vegan.com/cookbooks/

More
7 years 10 months ago #244097 by thomaswfaulkner
My wife has this recipe for oven-baked mango habanero cauliflower that tastes just like chicken wings. I never thought that could fill me up but a quarter of the head suits me for at least 6-8 hours.

We tried being vegetarians for about 3 weeks (for ethical reasons as well) but we both felt physically drained and we were always hungry. We added fish to our diet about 2 months ago and we are slowly weening ourselves back off of it. Its been about 2 weeks now since the last time we had any.

Have you tried the black bean veggie burgers? Those are awesome.

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
7 years 10 months ago #244098 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic vegetarian/vegan health

thomaswfaulkner wrote: We tried being vegetarians for about 3 weeks (for ethical reasons as well) but we both felt physically drained and we were always hungry.
Have you tried the black bean veggie burgers? Those are awesome.

this....this is what happened to me when i tried to omit meat...after my appendectomy the dr said no meat for at least a week...after 3 days despite eating everything in sight that wasn't meat, i was so physically weakened that i was barely able to hold up my own weight...

now i'm diabetic and require mostly protein and fiber...i've tried those type of burgers and soy burgers...soy based foods make me sick, and anything not meat leaves me hungrier than before i ate it...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, , thomaswfaulkner

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270890 by
You need carbs, there has been this idea pushed around to limit your carb intake as low as possible, when in reality, you need carbs. Your brain will starve without carbs http://nutritionfacts.org/

More
7 years 3 months ago #270894 by Figment
Replied by Figment on topic vegetarian/vegan health
Like others have said, there are some really great cookbooks out there for vegetarians and vegans. Learning to cook for yourself is the best way to do things though. You will be surprised what you will find you like and don't like.

Another good suggestion is learning a number of hearty soups, such as minestrone, vegetable tomato, potato, cream of broccoli, and the like. For example for lunch today I am having homemade udon soup with tofu.

As a carb lover myself, I understand your dilemma. Having healthy carbs in your diet is important but also learning to enjoy and like as many veggies is as well. I have seen many vegetarians become sick from the mac n' cheese, bread, and pizza diet.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270903 by
Hi!
I'm Vegan and I eat often a mix of vegetables sauté with a starch (that is different for each meal)... And some cereals.
Good luck for your cooking!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #277938 by
There is no research to show being a "carbatarian" is unhealthy! So long as the carbs you eat are mostly grains and veggies. I've been vegan for almost 2 years, the first 2 months were difficult. But eventually you find food that isn't fake and processed and is still very filling. Try beans, veggies, tofu, rice, chickpeas, fruit, and peanut butter, those are the staples.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi