How much post work out protein do you really need?

More
8 years 3 months ago #221912 by OB1Shinobi
http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/how-much-post-workout-protein-do-you-really-need

Warning: Spoiler!

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222727 by
Good post. I get asked things like this a lot. It annoys me when I see people skipping meals after training and just using protein shakes. Yes that are the best way of getting huge amounts of protein in your system but as you stated you miss the nutrition that you would gain in a meal high in protein healthy cooked meal. Spiced chicken and broccoli is a favourite of mine. So is chicken in a tomato and chilli sauce. Healthy and gives you more than a shake as a meal replacement.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222985 by
The "Men's Health" article echoes what I've heard is being discovered in research elsewhere.

Time and again, we read in fitness articles and hear from trainers the recommendation to consume one gram of protein per one pound of bodyweight daily. I recently encountered a study (and I apologize for not having held the reference) which found that among strength-training athletes, increases in protein consumption building up to about 100 grams per day aided performance - but consuming more than that made little difference.

This is helpful knowledge as many sources of quality protein are relatively expensive, relative to other sorts of food. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222995 by
I hear something similar to you, Omhu.

I constantly see the trend of at least 30 g of protein per major meal a day. With an extra 10-20 thrown in post workout if desired. So, that's just about 100.

More
8 years 3 months ago #223011 by Adder
I read some bodybuilding bro-science once that the body could only really work with 30g of protein in the system at once, so eating any more in one sitting was not needed... and to spread the number of meals to meet whatever overall daily requirement they have, in regards to bodybuilders who were trying to maximize muscle growth for size.

That said the bodybuilders would still say to eat 6-8 times a day, but getting about 30g of protein in each. Post workout shakes seemed to be less about building muscle and more about stopping the body freak out in the strained post workout stress, letting the proper frequent meals and sufficient rest to really do the work of building mass (in response to the exercise). It seemed common to cheat on the proper meals for early and late meals by using a shake... but the big bodybuilders seem to go through chicken and meat like its a mechanized continuous assembly line.
:blink:

That's what I read at bodybuilding sites. What's a good amount of protein though for maintenance!!? Running at 100% of usable protein intake might not be the best for extended periods, perhaps... or perhaps not!?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi