Atheist Jedi

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 10 months ago #148332 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Atheist Jedi

Wescli Wardest wrote: @ Jestor...

Worship is an act of religious devotion usually directed towards a deity. It means to show honour or to honour. I think the reason perceives worship to be more then that is because of the Christians for Western society. In the Bible it says to worship with song and dance. So that is how many of the services have evolved.

So I do believe that we all, from the newest member to each Council member “worships” the Force.

That was just a thought (Atheist Polytheist) trying to reconcile different aspects I have seen over the last few years here.

I still don’t think I understand the idea of being an Atheist Jedi… and I’m not sure I agree with the idea either. Not saying its wrong! But from my understanding it still doesn’t jive.

Definitely worth spending more time trying to understand. :D

I will talk with you till you tire of me...

lol...

I have trouble with the word 'worship', I dont 'worship'...

I dont really acknowledge the Force, except for the conversations like this... I do pause to observe things, but, ooo, yea, 'worship' (as an ex-catholic) I got issues with that words definition.... Guess I need to go look it up in the dictionary, lol...

I am busy being in the moment, and BEING....

If that makes sense...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #148333 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Atheist Jedi
Okay, what about the example that someone worships money? They don't actually pray to it or sing songs to it... unless they're just a little wierd! hahahhahha :P

But there are people that worship money are there not?

Monastic Order of Knights

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
9 years 10 months ago #148336 by Jestor
Sure...

Oh,you didnt say "attachment" did you...;)

:lol:....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #148337 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Atheist Jedi
That could very well be the key to this… attachment! I had not considered that. Not just people being attached to labels, but theist being attached to their deities. Rather than marveling at the wonder of it all and existing to coincide with the “grand design” (so to say) they feel a need for a personal relationship with that witch is infinite and beyond their understanding. So they humanize it. :huh:

The humanized representation of the deity figure is the rejection of Atheist (Atheist Jedi)?
Added Atheist Jedi for clarification.

Monastic Order of Knights
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Wescli Wardest.

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #148339 by Jestor

Wescli Wardest wrote: That could very well be the key to this… attachment! I had not considered that. Not just people being attached to labels, but theist being attached to their deities. Rather than marveling at the wonder of it all and existing to coincide with the “grand design” (so to say) they feel a need for a personal relationship with that witch is infinite and beyond their understanding. So they humanize it. :huh:

The humanized representation of the deity figure is the rejection of Atheist?

Yes....

I think it is...

MY OPINION is that to understand it, they attach a personality to it...

My car is is called Betsy (no, its a car not a girl)

Sharks are vicious (no sharks eat meat and take bites to taste things, [are they car eaters because they have found license plates in sharks])

Mice?spiders/ants are smart... No, they are persistent... Ok, they do have some intelligence, but, its but it is not like they 'know' when there is food availabel, they "stumble upon it" becasue they are constantly searching and foraging...

We humans like our personalities applied to things...

Gods are no different...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Brenna

More
9 years 10 months ago #148345 by SilverWolf
Replied by SilverWolf on topic Atheist Jedi
Jestor,

I talked in my post about belief, not worship. It seems like everyone is basing this on religion for a thing or a person. There is no concrete evidence that god exists, but he does because we "believe" in him, on your comments of sharks, it wasn't until the movie JAWS that people started to "believe" and fear what they did not understand which was Sharks. After JAWS people truly "believed" that all sharks are maneaters and go out of their way to attack humans, we now know this not to be entirely true, they attack because they smell blood in the water and think it is food, they attack because the splashing around makes vibrations in the water that attract them, and they attack surfers because their eyesight isn't the best and surfers look like seals. You call your car Betsy because you believe it to be a Betsy. Yes, we attach our belief to something we can understand, a man greater than ourselves, a Deity, and it then becomes real for us, but any religion or thought begins with a "belief". It is the attachment to something we can see or touch that makes us think it is real, and it reinforces that strength of belief. When it comes to religion, I am all kinds of messed up: 90% of my family was irish catholic, I went to a Baptist church growing up until my parents one day stopped taking me. I always "believed" in god and that church wasn't just a building but he was everywhere. I never was baptized until I lived in Louisana and was Baptized in a Pentacostal church. When my son Aiden was born, his mother and I wanted him blessed in the church but neither her belief ( she was raised Mormon) or mine would allow it because we were not married. My belief in what I believe in says this is wrong. This entire post is mostly about a belief, however we seem to be over-thinking it. Why is it so hard to just believe in something just because, and not because we need to "attach" it to anything, or have a reason behind it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
9 years 10 months ago #148346 by Jestor
The 'worship' was directed toward Wescli....:)

I do not attach a personality toward things, and actually rant at my TV when people do that, lol...

My wife just shakes her head at me...:lol:...

They assigned personalities to sharks WAY back in the more primitive times too... Shark Gods, Bear Gods, Wolf Gods, Elephant Gods.... Or, Fire GOds, The Gods of Wind, the Tree Fairies, gremlins in your cars...

Prehistoric man (in my opinion) did it to better understand the world around him, to attach a value for others...

An "angry wolverine" would simply mean that they are prone to strike, and are protective, not necessarily that they are really pissed about something....

Wes and I were PMing and he said "I wonder how come no one else is joining in"... :lol:...

So, thank you...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148364 by
Replied by on topic Atheist Jedi

Jestor wrote:

Wescli Wardest wrote: That could very well be the key to this… attachment! I had not considered that. Not just people being attached to labels, but theist being attached to their deities. Rather than marveling at the wonder of it all and existing to coincide with the “grand design” (so to say) they feel a need for a personal relationship with that witch is infinite and beyond their understanding. So they humanize it. :huh:

The humanized representation of the deity figure is the rejection of Atheist?

Yes....

I think it is...

MY OPINION is that to understand it, they attach a personality to it...

My car is is called Betsy (no, its a car not a girl)

Sharks are vicious (no sharks eat meat and take bites to taste things, [are they car eaters because they have found license plates in sharks])

Mice?spiders/ants are smart... No, they are persistent... Ok, they do have some intelligence, but, its but it is not like they 'know' when there is food availabel, they "stumble upon it" becasue they are constantly searching and foraging...

We humans like our personalities applied to things...

Gods are no different...:)

Sorta reminds me of when I was taking art in high school.
The Teacher went up to the board and drew a smiley face and asked one of the kid's what it was. They replied "happy?" and he said "no you idiot (in a joking manner) it's a drawing, drawings can't have emotion" and then went on to talk about how humans like to give things thoughts and feelings, and how even drawing the simplest eyes and mouth on something can make humans feel more connected or attached to it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148374 by
Communication is important.

Connection is essential to communication.

A smile on a person usually, if not always( as I have dealt with the mentally ill where this isnt the case, but they communicate poorly) that the person is conveying happiness.

Its less a matter of attributing meaning to something here, then going off previous evidence of having it conveyed to you.

It was the logical answer, it was simply a trick question.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148375 by
I am of the mind that religion itself was a way to communicate that which we could and couldnt understand at a given point in time in history.

Outdated software that was never updated.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi