Your religion is fiction

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127104 by
Replied by on topic Your religion is fiction
@ Magnus

As I am not able to make a direct relationship of the thread title to the OP, with the exception of the word religion. . . could you clarify what the thread title means . .

Your = ?
religion = a particular one, certain ones

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127256 by
Hello- I've not been ignoring this topic, but 13 hour night shifts make for little time for replying to posts, and I do hate typing on my phone for any extended period.

I'll be posting some responses after going to teach some Scouts First Aid though!

Just to satisfy Jayden's... curiosity, the Awen is one of the primary symbols used by the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids, of which I am a member. As well as the symbolic meaning I'm sure you're well versed in, it acts as a handy ID badge.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127262 by

Mareeka wrote: @ Magnus

As I am not able to make a direct relationship of the thread title to the OP, with the exception of the word religion. . . could you clarify what the thread title means . .

Your = ?

The title was meant quite literally; that all religions (meaning this in a very broad sense) are based on stories; these stories being no more or less valid as cultural symbols or waypoints as Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.
It was phrased to as to illicit a response.

sidvkili, spelling never was my strong suit! I taught Physics, not English! I have no problem? I was just wanting some different people's thoughts.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127263 by

sidvkili wrote:

MagnusD wrote: Buddha's life means little: How does that factor into vedanta? It's the practicality of his teachings that matters in buddhism, not the guy himself.

They named the religion after him; though the teachings are the focus, then I took a meditation course that was run by Buddhists, they seemed to put some importance on the story of the Buddha- they are following the teachings of a man, following in his footsteps, trying to achieve enlightenment as he did. Does that not make him the inspiration, and therefore of some importance?

More
10 years 4 months ago #127265 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Your religion is fiction

MagnusD wrote:

Mareeka wrote: @ Magnus

Your = ?

The title was meant quite literally; that all religions (meaning this in a very broad sense) are based on stories; these stories being no more or less valid as cultural symbols or waypoints as Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.
It was phrased to as to illicit a response.

sidvkili, spelling never was my strong suit! I taught Physics, not English! I have no problem? I was just wanting some different people's thoughts.

Welcome to TOTJO Magnus. I hope those 13 hour shifts are not working your over too much. :)

While this is a very interesting topic, I find myself wondering if there is any certain assumption you have about Jediism (or just TOTJO) behind it?

In our Initiates Program, novices get to learn a great deal about the mythological/fictional stories behind many general sects of religion, (including the fiction of Star Wars as such an example) and the implications they have on humankind's tendencies to use them for helping to define aspects of existence that we have no other way of addressing. After reading your OP, it seems there is a good chance you may really enjoy checking it out. :)

Mareeka was asking you what she was I think because your assertion in the thread is something that (if I'm understanding it correctly, anyone please correct me if I'm not) many of us here are already aware of, and perhaps were wondering if there was any particular questions about it you might have?

:)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Brenna, Kit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127275 by
Yes, Proteus . . I had the same thoughts when I asked the question. . .regarding the IP and the TotJO.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127312 by

Proteus wrote: While this is a very interesting topic, I find myself wondering if there is any certain assumption you have about Jediism (or just TOTJO) behind it?

Assumptions... I have some, though I do try to temper them with an open mind, so that I can let them go once more information is available to take their place.

I'm guessing what you're really asking is whether I assume you're just obsessed fans trying to float X-Wings (Lego models maybe?) with your mind.
No.
Clearly you all chose the Jedi from Star Wars as your inspiration, which I suppose in part is why this post seemed relevant to this forum, but both the fictional Jedi and the doctrine on this site shows clear links to Eastern philosophy, and some references that link into out ancient Western cultures and beliefs; though perhaps that is because both are paths in the same direction.
My assumption here is that you are like most people, trying to make sense of the world around you, trying to find a path that you can follow, and unlike many, forging your own when needed.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127396 by
Magnus,

I think you are getting some blowback from this because the title is stated as a fact - "your religion is fiction."

To quote from Star Wars, Qui Gon says - "Jedis do not deal in absolutes."

None of us really knows what exactly is going on inside, and outside this universe. We use the things that influence us in this world, and come up with a "best guess" on what it is that is happening. Many people see it through the eyes of one of the many, numerous religions, while others judge it only on what they see and can scientifically prove. Either way, what they believe is the fact of their existence, and no two people have the same experience.

So to come here and to drop down the gauntlet of your opinion, and state is as fact, is an affront to some people, especially since you are seen as a guest here.

Judging by your last post, I get the sense that you too are searching for path to follow, and want to know if this is the place for you. For that, I must commend you, as I think that is why we all come here. What you will find is that what George Lucas used as inspiration for his made-up religion in the Star Wars movies, is based on several ideas from real life religions, and those points are what draw us here, as they resonate with what we feel is the right path. Using the term Jedi, or Jediism is just a way to mix those eastern and western influences into one fluid belief system, and give it a name.

Clif Note version: Your title is confrontational, but you make some good points.

More
10 years 4 months ago #127402 by Lykeios Little Raven

MagnusD wrote: ?

I am guessing many here can relate to this; I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the topic, and what sort of stories may have influenced you over the years?

"Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction"

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

More
10 years 4 months ago #127403 by Lykeios Little Raven

Kaverael wrote:

Clif Note version: Your title is confrontational, but you make some good points.

Let us not forget one simple fact: Life IS confrontation.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi