Intrest in Learning about Buddhism

Moderators: Desolous, tzb

Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 26 Apr 2012 13:21 #57868

Hello, I am interested in learning more about Buddhism. I was wondering if any current practioners know of any really good resources to learn more about some of the teachings and beliefs?
Peace be with you.

Also, keep being awesome.

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 11:40 #57987

• Aceboizor
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 7902
Hiya csmith! There are some great lectures right here on the forums! Just explore the Eastern studies threads a bit and see what you like. There are also some fantastic book recommendations in the TOTJO Library thread (under Training & Library) available to all temple members. I myself quite like anything written by the Dalai Lama, who has a wonderful view of the world and Buddhism's place within it.

Then there are the really basic ways, like Wikipedia. XP Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, LTK

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 13:17 #58000

Thank you, for some reason it didn't occur to me that people might put an informational on buddhism in there. I can be pretty freaking special sometimes.
Peace be with you.

Also, keep being awesome.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • [New book project] Letters to new Jedi (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: Edan, this is on my to-do list its just I have a long to-do list and not a lot of time so going through priorities, do you have a deadline or some idea when you would like this by? Think she spoke of there not being a deadline in a few posts above this one... You underestimate the length of my to do list lol, I didn't see that reply till you pointed it out, but I'm sure edan would like to get this project done before end of next year too! Yes... there is no official deadline because I am not editing any of what is written... however my aim is 2 - 3 weeks ish.
    • Yoga Camp (Last post by Edan)
    • Yoga Camp - Day 23 - 'I Am Secure' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHOAY6ZeLXY&index=24&list=PLui6Eyny-Uzx5BRNB2_Kvycrn5h9OsaHC
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Avalonslight)
    • Found a newly 'hatched' butterfly this morning, so to speak. Got to watch as her wings unfurled and dried out and she got some sun before flying away into the great unknown. [attachment]
    • Are You A Patriot? (Last post by Cabur Senaar)
    • Quote: Yes. And this is the patriotism I ascribe to. Link if I'm linkfully challenged: Patriotism I would appreciate it if John Cena stopped trying to make me cry.
    • Have you killed a human ?? (Last post by Avalonslight)
    • To answer your question Silas, no I never have. And I only answer because I never have. Like some of the others, I find your reasoning of "curiosity" to be wholely inappropriate for the question you've asked. As I highly doubt any of us on this site are intentional murderers for the sake of murder, you're asking someone to reveal something explicitly personal about their past. For most who have been forced to kill another, be it self defense or as a legal aspect of their job, those deaths are open wounds on the human psyche. A wise individual doesn't peel at the scab on their arm. It would be even wiser not to ask others to peel off the scab on their heart, unless you are both willing and capable of walking with them through the healing process that would follow.
    • Jedi who work in EMS/Healthcare (Last post by Tellahane)
    • So just after catching up on recent events I've noticed a few people who I wasn't aware were in EMS as I am. So wanted to put out a post and just see, who here in the community is also in EMS(EMT/EMT-I/Paramedic/First Responder), or even any other healthcare position(lpn/rn/cna/pa/etc), I feel like a totjo group if there is enough of us would be a nice thing to have, for some discussions but also support in each other through rough times like cardiac arrests calls we recently worked or other instances we come across that doesn't necessarily need broadcasted across the forum all the time. If there is enough of us anyway, so if you are one of those reply here!
    • How to Find Out If Your Penis Is a Normal Size (Last post by Murasaki)
    • Quote: What is an “average” size for a penis? Have to laugh at that, its something children talk about, but I will add to the comment just for laughs .... This is the average erect penis size from around the world. Target Map have released some new and very interesting data which unveils different average erection sizes from around the world. According to the diagram, African men have the world's largest penises, whereas men from Asian countries find themselves on the other end of the scale. The results reveal that men from the African countries highlighted in red, such as Jamaica, Haiti and Ghana, possess the most impressive size in manhood, ranging from 6.3 to 7 inches. Second to Africa are men from Australia, Italy, Norway, Mexico, and South Africa, who average at around 5.8 – 6.3 inches. Next up are British, American, French, German and Spanish guys, whose average erection is between 5-5.8 inches. In fourth place are Japanese, Indonesian, Greek, Brazilian and Russian men at around 4.1-5 inches. And lastly, guys who hail from India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia and South Korea have an average erection size of 3.6 inches and 4.1 inches. So now you know. [image]
    • Handicap people killed in Japan & no one care!... (Last post by Murasaki)
    • Quote: Yea, it's the non-japanese, the jews, the disabled, etc who have problems there because they're not members of the superior race :P Seriously tho, it's a racist country. No you are incorrect, Japanese respect all people, it is that we, have no time for non-Japanese that come here and think Japan and Japanese should change to suit them. You move to Australia, you are expected to speak english, follow Australian laws, and behave Australian, well same here in Japan, you move here, you are expected to speak japanese, follow Japanese laws, and behave Japanese, the problems is most that move here refuse to change, and what the Japanese to change, I have seen so many english speakers here complain that the Japanese should learn to speak english... Why? This is Japan, we speak Japanese, you want english, then go to a english speaking country, simple. As you can see multiculturalism has not worked, it has seriously failed in Europe and failing in Australia, why? Because people who moved refused to change, they want their new home country to change to be like their old home country. Simple solution for these people is if you want your old home style of living then return to the country you came from, not rocket science! Japanese know that multiculturalism is a joke and it is the reason they do not have mass immigration, Japan is for Japanese. Like Australia is for Australians, UK is for British etc., etc.
    • Loooong apprenticeships (Last post by Codex)
    • Quote: Quote: What would be a good average length of time for an apprenticeship? I do not like focus on the time of an apprenticeship much, I find quality more important. The council and knights/masters should not be or feel forced to accept anything less than quality in any apprenticeship, seeking average time will create pressure in some way. :) If it takes more time than is normally used, with this average time thingy on top of it, the Temple should learn to deal with this pressure. ~
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Trisskar)
    • Part of doing a "Team Effort" is by communicating with eachother before acting upon knee jerk assumptions and assuming lead on things. :angry:
    • Free Artwork Services (Last post by Cayce)
    • Request 2 - Completed Requesting Member: Cabur Senaar. Tasks: * Take a low resolution image, enlarge it while maintaining clarity. * Adjust placement of starburst in the middle to ensure proper centering / alignment. * Adjust text to fit the curve of the circle properly. Source Image: [image] This was a really tough image, and probably the most complicated one I've done yet. Really fun, though! * Upscaled repeatedly until shapes were salvagable. Image was very pixelated though, so the upscale wasn't pretty. * Desaturated, flattened, simplified. Adjusted image to only use pure white and black. * Attempted to vector the main image, only was able to barely get half of it in a clean vector. Example below [image] * Mirrored this to re-assembled logo's shape. * The starburst was off-center, and the upscale ruined all but one side of it as well. Using the process above, saved half of it, mirrored, cleaned up the details and centered properly. In-process example below. [image] * Text was unusable, had to find the font using font tools like 'What's That Font', matched to the font "Colonna" * Re-typed text, vectored, match to the curve of the logo's shape. Finished Version: [image] Additional Notes I now have the fully vectored version of this which can be scaled to any size, with crystal clear resolution. If you do plan to print t-shirts, you'll want that one, and I can easily send it to you! Also, I work for one of the largest custom t-shirt manufacturers in the country, so if you'd like help setting up a mockup / pricing, I'd be happy to privately help with that, and offer a friends / family discount and my 5+ years experience with the printing, if you want!

There are 222 visitors, 10 guests and 33 members online (5  in chat): Akkarin, steamboat28, Joe, Proteus, V-Tog, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, PatrickB, Joxman, Vusuki, Llama Su, elizabeth, Edan, Avalonslight, Zenchi, carlos.martinez3, Cabur Senaar, Codex, Adi, Tellahane, Ke JinnDakken, Jack.Troutman, MadHatter, MartaLina, Serondrych, Kyrin Wyldstar, JamesSand, Toche, furbyrd135, Leah Starspectre, Albekl, Sinjin, Blitz7737, Arisaig, Camden, Jutus, Jaxz, James051, northman.

Follow Us