Intrest in Learning about Buddhism

Moderators: Desolous, Reliah

Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 26 Apr 2012 13:21 #57868

Hello, I am interested in learning more about Buddhism. I was wondering if any current practioners know of any really good resources to learn more about some of the teachings and beliefs?
Peace be with you.

Also, keep being awesome.

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 11:40 #57987

• Aceboizor
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 7902
Hiya csmith! There are some great lectures right here on the forums! Just explore the Eastern studies threads a bit and see what you like. There are also some fantastic book recommendations in the TOTJO Library thread (under Training & Library) available to all temple members. I myself quite like anything written by the Dalai Lama, who has a wonderful view of the world and Buddhism's place within it.

Then there are the really basic ways, like Wikipedia. XP Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, LTK

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 13:17 #58000

Thank you, for some reason it didn't occur to me that people might put an informational on buddhism in there. I can be pretty freaking special sometimes.
Peace be with you.

Also, keep being awesome.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • White Privilege (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: I can appreciate where this sentiment is coming from, but I'm not really sure it can be called discrimination. People of color don't have the institutional power to systematically exclude white people from anything. If you can divorce the criticisms of whiteness from yourself as a white person, to realize it is not a personal attack but an attack on whiteness as a social and economic institution, then it might make more sense. Where I'm at racism is most definitely discrimination, no matter whether it is systematic or not, cultural or otherwise. Other countries have their own systematic discrimination who are not white, and it can be seen in Asia and Africa. If the term is indeed reverse racism, then I think in effect it is perhaps trying to make perpetrators of racism become targets of racism, so they can see what its like and develop empathy enough to stop being racist!? If so then my concern is it seems like it is making more people victims of (a type of) racism so (other types of) racism can be reduced.... and it probably would work if it were targeted to people who were racist, but such a large generalization is my concern. Ms Adder worked in gender anti-discrimination policy and education for nearly 10 years so I end up having opinions about things which probably don't concern me :pinch: Though the only aborigine I really know is doing better then me :lol:
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Avalonslight)
    • Excedrin... Because when I realize the migraine is starting early enough into it, it never becomes a full blown migraine.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • Jesus loves cishets this I know For the Christians tell me so Little ones from him condemned They are weak, but he is strong Yes, Jesus hates gays Yes, Jesus hates gays Yes, Jesus hates gays The Christians tell me so
    • "Camping’ on Your Own Land is Now Illegal — G... (Last post by Alan)
    • Getting off the grid usually refers to electricity but can imply any connectivity. In the US, getting-off-the-grid in no way means that a citizen is no longer responsible for fulfilling the law. For example, I own property in New York state where I do not live, but pay property and school taxes. I really like being connected to electricity. The grid and other infrastructure that I pay for with my taxes and when buying utility services work very well for me. I take care of business online, use credit cards, and am recognized by the US government as a Trusted Traveler allowing me to proceed without too much delay through airport security and also to move to the front of the line at US customs. I inform my government (US State Department) when I am traveling in foreign countries. In the US, the government does not wage war on citizens because the government is citizens.
    • 2015-2016 Sermon Schedule (Last post by Rosalyn J)
    • WE DID IT!!! May is all FILLED!!! Thank you all for coming through. You are all truly amazing. I'll have June's Calander posted by the 15th of May Thanks again!!!
    • Untrustworthy Blood (Last post by carlos.martinez3)
    • My own personal goal in life is to build...seeing as my lessons and study have taken me so very far at this present moment, I realize not every one came with me. You must be you! Are you the one who will lead by example, speech? Will you lead will you follow? Will you give em time and effort? If so why? These are questions for your very own heart. When we see those around us...please excuse the terms...act out.. we ourselves know some form of discipline and way. It is our choice, regardless of who it is to act by what we choose. I hope your family is not making it more difficult for you . I find when my values are challenged I seek help of my trusted "guild." In cases like this I ask my people for help. Do you have those you trust who you can count on? I recommend finding some. It can only help. Theres nothing you can do about blood its...blood, but I am cautious who I let around my family and heart. Be strong friend, you are in a place where you are not ALONE!
    • TOTJO Clergy Structure (Last post by Aqua)
    • Happy to help you Edan! (The clerical promotions will be added to the document as well.) ;) * 'RavAdam' changed to 'Rav Adam'; * All relevant Journal documents of clerical nature, time and date, added. * Each Key is now set in chronologically lexicographical order. (sorted on time and date per key)
    • Should jedi train in combat? (Last post by Reacher)
    • Quote: Should a jedi train in the use of saber fighting and sword fighting? Is there any threats against the jedi order in which we must defend? Im new to being a jedi :) I think this question provides a wonderful opportunity to discuss the heart of how Temple of the Jedi Order views what it means to be ‘Jedi’. Though I openly and happily admit this is more my own interpretation of the Temple’s teachings – an Apprentice who has had ample chance to misinterpret exposure to excellent teachings and teachers. Please, do not hold the Temple of the Jedi Order responsible for my musings. I only ask that you consider them and hope you can find application and insight. To that end, I think that it is important to frame this question properly before attempting to answer it. To my mind, there are three questions here all hinging on the qualifier of ‘As Jedi’. As individuals, the merits of combat, martial arts, and threat defense – all distinct yet interconnected categories – vary with each of us. Jedi participate in all three, but not on the qualifier of that title. Let me explain that a little. From the moment I embarked on this journey at the Temple, I found concrete answers difficult to come by – save that most things are open to interpretation by the individual. For some that equates to simple evasiveness on the part of the community - that there are no defined standards to which we hold members. This topic provides a periodic source of consternation between Force sub-communities – raises questions about specific requirements of physical fitness, meditation, study, service and many others. Consensus never came easily. On that, I defer to those with more history in the community than I to set the record straight if I am wrong in these generalities. Temple of the Jedi Order may have batted some of the ideas around as well, but concluded that an academic focus worked best within its given limitations. Whether through the Initiate Program or an individual relationship with a training master, the Temple merely provides a figurative mirror into which we can all look – with an aim to improve ourselves. That mirror is through academic rigor – a currency of knowledge and ideas that we can be more certain of in the medium of the internet. Keep in mind that there is no compelling authority here. Little standard beyond the academic. No expectation of prowess in any ability except perhaps to think independently. We DO cultivate certain cultural values, but the application of those values we try to judge with very open minds. For some that equates to an unacceptable, nebulous complacency and lack of accountability. I do not see the individuality of the Temple’s interpretation of ‘Jedi’ as a weakness - I believe that this it remains our singular strength. It advocates that we present the greatest possible version of ourselves to the world, and not what something or someone else would have us be. Those recognized as Knights may not meet my personal standards of physical fitness, specific morality, or academic focus. Or perhaps they far surpass them. All that is immaterial to them striving to find purpose in their lives, immaterial to them presenting that best version of themselves to the universe, and immaterial to their recognition as Jedi. I submit that the ‘shoulds’ of a Jedi are few and simple - but not easy. Within that context and qualifier, I don’t think combat, martial arts, and threat defense are among them.

There are 118 visitors, 5 guests and 26 members online (3  in chat): Br. John, Jestor, Connor L., Adder, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Lykeios, Archon, Kit, Avalonslight, tzb, Jamie Stick, Adi, Tellahane, Ke JinnDakken, MadHatter, Cayce, Arthur H., Snowy Aftermath, Rex, Prelalo, Ryder, robdegrey, Codama, x57z12, Volk, The Coyote, Akayuki, clcoyl01, Dalroth.

Follow Us