Intrest in Learning about Buddhism

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 26 Apr 2012 13:21 #57868

Hello, I am interested in learning more about Buddhism. I was wondering if any current practioners know of any really good resources to learn more about some of the teachings and beliefs?
Peace be with you.

Also, keep being awesome.

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 11:40 #57987

• Aceboizor
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 7902
Hiya csmith! There are some great lectures right here on the forums! Just explore the Eastern studies threads a bit and see what you like. There are also some fantastic book recommendations in the TOTJO Library thread (under Training & Library) available to all temple members. I myself quite like anything written by the Dalai Lama, who has a wonderful view of the world and Buddhism's place within it.

Then there are the really basic ways, like Wikipedia. XP Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, LTK

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 13:17 #58000

Thank you, for some reason it didn't occur to me that people might put an informational on buddhism in there. I can be pretty freaking special sometimes.
Peace be with you.

Also, keep being awesome.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Live Your Legend (Last post by BionicPianoMan)
    • Quote: I also hate making my living dependent on something that I love because then it is literally work. I like having the choice. I used to think the same way. I've had a natural ability to play the piano since I was 4 years old, I am now 32. For the longest time I didn't want to make playing the piano/music my living. Finally, when I was around 29/30 I decided I'm going to give it a go. And I never worked a day in my life. As the old saying goes "Do what you love for a living, and you'll never work a day in your life." It is absolutely true. I would "go to work," whether it's rehearsals, practicing new songs, writing my own, or showing up for gigs...doing what I absolutely loved to do. At the end of the day I would constantly say to myself "I can't believe I'm being paid to do this." You say "then it is literally work." Well....yes but no. Literally, well yeah. But I say no, because is it really? Is doing what you love, work? How can one define it as 'work,' not in the literal definition of the term, but in the definition of what your heart refers to as 'work?'
    • We need you! (Last post by MrBruno)
    • My intention with this post was really leaves the question open for those with a little more time. This month will surely be a little more difficult, people who are in college are in final exams, those who work are in season year closing. To make a sermon, one has to really be at a certain level of training, but what matters most is that this message comes from the heart. I'm sure for some, even the most simple words can make a big difference. So my invitation remains open
    • Question of the Day (Last post by Reliah)
    • What is your definition of a friend? What is friendship to you? please answer in your own journal
    • Strength (Last post by MartaLina)
    • If i can summarize : The Force just Is, i have to be resilient, so when i fall i get up and learn from this experience, i have to be strong in a mental way and not so much in a phisical way , and i can feel the Force if i am open to it , when i am strong i can get even stronger , when i believe in myself , esspecially when i couple it to the Force. Then there was that thingy about living up to expectations , growth , and its not really the case that when i am weak the Force will somehowe take over and make me strong ...and when i accept myself the real hard work begins ;) Thank you so much for sharing this with me
    • Theory: Why Chewbbaca Didn't Receive a Medal at th... (Last post by Goken)
    • Maybe he was supposed to but they had trouble getting it on the suit or staying correctly so they just opted to not do it. I tend to think of more production reasons for stuff like that than plot reasons. :laugh: One of my minor annoying habits.
    • What Are You Listening To Right Now? (Last post by Reliah)
    • Vusuki, MC Yogi?! :cheer: I always have my students end their yoga sessions with his Peace Out number. I think the first of his I ever heard was Ganesh is Fresh :laugh:
    • Techwear for Jedi (Last post by r3dleader)
    • I like Weatherproof pants they seem to do good and then just a quality knit top (worked for Hemingway). As for EDC, my pockets and belt are well used. I have an interchangeable array, but my standard two are Summer and Winter: Beretta Nano with extended mag OR Springfield XD9 Service Model Browning Black Label Integrity folding knife OR Ontario RAT-3 fixed knife Streamlight ProTAC flashlight OR a lot of others Leatherman Wingman OR Gerber Diesel Army Issue Web Belt Iphone with SplashETech case Fisher Space Pen OR pencil (#2) Moleskin Notepad Or Rite in the Rain notebook Ever Ready CPR face shield and emergency blanket in my wallet Lighter and/or fire starter leather TTU embossed Wallet Metawatch Frame Or Invicta Pro Diver two-tone Watch IPad Mini with Honeycase Metawatch Frame Or Invicta Pro Diver two-tone Watch Patriot Memory Supersonic Boost XT USB 3.0 256 Flash Drive on MB C230K Fob OR Mini Cooper S fob Plus if it's cold a Hawke & Co insulated parka that lets me carry a 1911 with two spare mags and my small first aid kit. only the keys, usb, wallet, notepad and lighter end in up in my pockets, so it not as bulky as it seems. Be prepared, right.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Edan)
    • At work, I don't want to hear about American gun shooting statistics, or police shoot outs, or actually anything to do with Britain vs USA. I don't care, I'm at work.
    • Does "evil" exist? (Last post by Tellahane)
    • evil is a label for a defined set of actions defined by the society for which we live, so in that regards, yes it exists. Take all that away, and it just is...much like the force. Thats my opinion anyway.
    • Physical temple (Last post by Yabuturtle)
    • I think a monastery would be better in the long run. People can actually live there and it can be quite a self sufficient place, with it's own medical practices, it's own farm and little area of land, it's own library ect. I know abandoned temples but I am not sure if there's any abandoned monasteries though. Do we need one? No not really but having a gathering where other Jedi can meet is nice to have. I guess it'd be located in America or England as those are the countries with the highest amount of Jedi.
    • WW III (Last post by Omhu Cuspor)
    • Quote: Is War Over? — A Paradox Explained This is a marvelously hopeful perspective, Cayce, and one which as far as I can tell is freshly original. I intend to soak it in. Thanks for sharing this video. It is profound enough that I feel like going silent on this topic now; I don't know how I could add anything more worthwhile.
    • Today I felt lonely... (Last post by Rickie)
    • [/quote]I don't know how it works for others, but this chain reaction happens with me. I'm an Aspie, and because of that, I'm a Bipolar, and I don't like to feel lonely or empty, because it triggers a depressive state.[/quote] You do the best you can with what you got. Don't let the labels used by others limit you. Do you feel greater than the words use to describe you? Of course you do! You are great! Find your greatness. The power is yours. Embrace it! You are so much more than what you believe and others say. Bee great. Have fun.

There are 927 visitors, 14 guests and 59 members online (3  in chat): Newwolf, Br. John, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, Karn, ren, Kitsu Tails, Connor L., GtG1, Wescli Wardest, Adhara, LTK, Garwa Mayharr, Darren, Gisteron, Reliah, Proteus, meatloaf, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, PatrickB, Khaos, Rickie, KageKeeper, Vusuki, Archon, Kamizu, elizabeth, Kohadre, Edan, tzb, Zenchi, Jamie Stick, carlos.martinez3, Janice, Cabur Senaar, Goken, den385, MrBruno, OB1Shinobi, Loudzoo, Atticus509, Competent, Adi Vas, Tellahane, 6h057, Jack.Troutman, MartaLina, Cassius Skywalker, Skryym, Breeso,, CianConan, Kale-Patronus, McNulty, Colonial73, BionicPianoMan, Moimar, LemmyT, Alas.Him, ClemensVII.

Follow Us