Intrest in Learning about Buddhism

Moderators: Desolous, Reliah, Edan

Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 26 Apr 2012 13:21 #57868

Hello, I am interested in learning more about Buddhism. I was wondering if any current practioners know of any really good resources to learn more about some of the teachings and beliefs?
Peace be with you.

Also, keep being awesome.

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 11:40 #57987

• Aceboizor
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 7902
Hiya csmith! There are some great lectures right here on the forums! Just explore the Eastern studies threads a bit and see what you like. There are also some fantastic book recommendations in the TOTJO Library thread (under Training & Library) available to all temple members. I myself quite like anything written by the Dalai Lama, who has a wonderful view of the world and Buddhism's place within it.

Then there are the really basic ways, like Wikipedia. XP Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, LTK

Re: Intrest in Learning about Buddhism 27 Apr 2012 13:17 #58000

Thank you, for some reason it didn't occur to me that people might put an informational on buddhism in there. I can be pretty freaking special sometimes.
Peace be with you.

Also, keep being awesome.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Has Censorship Become the Norm? (Last post by Adder)
    • Political correctness has a place, but so does recognition change can be slow and face various natures of impediments. Not all resistance to change is derived out of bigotry. But I don't think being PC is the same thing as censorship, as I see censorship as the restriction of a message whereas being PC is the most appropriate delivery of a message.
    • How many practice telekinesis? (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: No one has really shown it's impossible either. I really don't like it when people act like they don't have to back up their claims but you have to. You say it can't happen...because you have never seen it happen? Not a very convincing argument. Did germs not exist because we couldn't see them in most of our history? Of course not. They always existed but later we found out ways to see them. But I do find it rude that people act as if my personal experiences or others experiences never happened. Did you follow me with a camera? How would you or anyone else know what I experienced? True. Generally speaking, and in no way referencing this thread (which is a bit old for me to remember anyway), not only is it a good idea to approach unknown things with an open mind about learning something new (even if its only about the person saying it!), but it's also a good idea to approach people who have different views in a conciliatory/neutral/non-confrontational manner, even if they are thought to be wrong, IMO it should be a gentle and gradual path to enlightenment. Sudden paths to enlightenment can cause all sorts of adverse reactions and over-reactions depending on the extent of shift in a person paradigms. I use 'enlightenment' to refer to understanding and accumulation of types of knowledge in hopefully useful ways. I reckon the goal of sharing alternate views is probably better about positive movement towards some state of open understanding and mutual respect with all participants, rather then one of point scoring and defending any particular position. If someone wants to stick their necks out by making absolute assertions of truth in some regard it is on them, and its existence does not represent anything beyond a statement by the individual making the statement. I'd love to hear more experiences from anyone who has had them, its just often people like me love to explore them in such a way as to dissect them and understand their extents in quantitative terms - which can sound a bit reductive in qualitative terms, but for me at least its not intended.
    • Acupuncture (Last post by Adder)
    • For all my readings and the odd lecture and demo I've attended about it, I've never had acupuncture needling. Though I've done electrical acupuncture, and moxibustion.. not the pins poking out of flesh :ohmy: I noticed recently this article; www.npr.org/2012/02/16/146944270/militar...ture-skeptics-theory Military Pokes Holes In Acupuncture Skeptics' Theory [attachment] Another story at www.military.com/daily-news/2014/05/05/a...killers-in-army.html Acupuncture has a long history in China, but that is not enough to prove its effectiveness, and indeed it was only part of the traditional medical toolkit which also included things like diet and lifestyle changes, herbal treatments, massage, and even astrology. Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences with it, and would you consider trying it?
    • In Praise of Selectivity: Syncretic Jediism (Last post by Alan)
    • "The essence of a metaphor is understanding and experiencing one kind of thing in terms of another." Metaphors We Live By by George Lakoff and Mark Johnson. For example: argument is war. This is how we metaphorically talk about arguments. * Arguments are won. * There is a strategy used in arguments to ensure victory. * Facts are ammunition. * "Her criticisms were on target." We conceptualize arguments in the language of conflict/war. It isn't necessary to use this metaphor to describe argument. Argument could just as easily be described by another metaphor, perhaps in terms of construction, or painting.
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Carli)
    • Grateful for new beginnings, and the people who have been welcoming to this stranger. And grateful for my friends at work, who offered me leftover lunch when I had no food money. Thanks to them, I am full and happy. ^.^
    • Lightsaber Tai Chi (Last post by Streen)
    • Over the last couple years I've had a modest interest in Tai Chi. I never really committed to it and found it boring, plus I found the movements were largely unexplained. Then I thought about Tai Chi with use of swords. That felt like something I could get into, and today I found these videos: I don't have a sword, but I have a lightsaber. It occurred to me that it could be fun/interesting/unique to try sword Tai Chi with a lightsaber. Has anyone else thought of this? Does anyone practice sword Tai Chi? I know certain schools have popped up here and there for lightsaber training, but I never heard of Tai Chi being implemented there.
    • On Feeling Melancholy (Last post by den385)
    • I don't think that melancholy as a temper contradicts with joy or Jedi way. The thing is to be a healthy melancholic. Like a good bluesman who sees both tragic and comic moments in life, just prefers to reflect on the former. And as a feeling, melancholy is in between light sadness and mild depression. Personally, I prefer light sadness. But until sadness does not deprive a person from joy, it's healthy.

There are 401 visitors, 6 guests and 34 members online (6  in chat): Br. John, Firewolf, Adder, Darren, Reliah, Reacher, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Lykeios, Avalonslight, tzb, Vagabond, Aqua, Tarran, MrBruno, Atticus509, Izoshua, Tellahane, Ke JinnDakken, Jack.Troutman, Brick, Reserved Sanity, Serondrych, cmwatts, The Joegiboy, Squint, Amandabonn, Kyrin Wyldstar, Snowy Aftermath, Cenrus Kuno, Aspen Evenstaad, Belisarius, Riyuma, Rob Bass, homb-ray, Micah K, lucianovecttorizzi.

Follow Us