Budhism?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #45366 by
Budhism? was created by
I wanted to know what budhism is exactly and it's basic teachings. The Joseph Cambell tapes make me want to learn more of the budhist faith.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #45369 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re: Budhism?
As with Christianity there are several major schools of thought in Buddhism. Wikipedia has a nice overview. My personal thought is that Zen is of particular importance to Jedi.

You could start with this.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #45387 by
Replied by on topic Re: Budhism?

Br. John wrote: As with Christianity there are several major schools of thought in Buddhism. Wikipedia has a nice overview. My personal thought is that Zen is of particular importance to Jedi.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Is zen budhism the specific one that Cambell speaks of or is he speaking of the in general idea of budhism?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #45396 by

Nameless3450 wrote:

Br. John wrote: As with Christianity there are several major schools of thought in Buddhism. Wikipedia has a nice overview. My personal thought is that Zen is of particular importance to Jedi.

Is zen budhism the specific one that Cambell speaks of or is he speaking of the in general idea of budhism?

Hm... I forget which Buddhism Campbell speaks of, but... in general, the difference between ordinary Buddhism and Zen Buddhism is the inclusion of Taoism (in Zen), Taoism being very influential to Jedi in itself. Think Tao=Force, and you have a general idea, though a few details are a bit different.

More
12 years 4 months ago #45443 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Budhism?
A path to enlightenment, constructive interference, resonance, or just a flower.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #45713 by
Zen Buddhism is turning a jug full of water upside down and watching the water fall out.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46096 by
And four hours later, wondering why they're thirsty :P

Akkarin wrote: Zen Buddhism is turning a jug full of water upside down and watching the water fall out.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 4 months ago #46099 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Budhism?
you can take a stroll through the buddhist forum, i posted a handfull of lectures there a while back.

as was mentioned zen incorporates many taoist concepts, it was also originally taught alongside martial arts. it's about experiencing the moment, there is no past, there is no future, there is no you, there is no me, there is just now.

i believe in the campbell lectures he's simply talking about the original form of buddhism(the one with hinduism concepts) the first buddha was raised hindu, then after abandoning his title(he was a prince)and renouncing all his possessions he lived as an ascetic monk but still did not find the answers he sought, he achieved enlightenment after meditating under the bodhi tree for several days...bodhi became bodhidharma...bodhi trees were called "the tree of enlightenment" which is why he chose to sit under one....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi