What's the deal with the title of "Darth"?

More
11 years 6 months ago #76115 by Adder

DaathMenace wrote: I read somewhere in the Initiates Program(?) that putting titles in username wasn't allowed because some people had guinely earned titles like "Jedi" and "Darth"; but is there really such thing as this title in Jediism? And if so, how is it earned?

Systems which already have a mechanism to associate rank or duty work better if people don't add them to the username of an account in my experience, and sites that are designed to handle future expansion tend to follow rules like that to make work easier in the future as things change. Keeping things distinct means they can be used better in programming terms.

I once ran a forum which had ranks and I'd just get the system to write the title in front of the username automatically and so if someone had called themselves for example darthnight, in that sort of system it would end up looking like darth darthnight.

At this site the titles represent the activity here, and not externally. If you have titles elsewhere then putting them in the signature block, under the avatar, or profile page is a good way to show people your experience and recognition.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago #76302 by
Right. It was just strange that it said "some people have earnt titles like "Darth" so its disrespectful to them" (to use it in a name) when no-one on the forum even *has* the "Darth" title lol. Oh well.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #76311 by

Grandtitan19 wrote: you say the only one who takes on "darth" is merely to distinguish himself from the jedis but most of the full on Sith's, like the sith lords have been mantions with the name "darth" there's Darth Sidious, Darth Plaqueis, Darth Maul, etc

Freedon Naad, Marka Ragnos, Naga Sadow, Ulic Qel-Droma, Exar Kun. The list of Sith Lords who DON'T use it has some length to it as well, as well as some fairly big names.

Jestor wrote:
Most legit Sith I have met dont use it, no offence... Not all of them, Im sure there are legit ones out there, and you counld be one, only few actually come by...

I've only ever met one Darth, and that's Draconis, and he is sure as hell worthy of the title. Man is pure Sith. I'd take a Darth title when my Sith training progresses to the right point, and at that point it'd be in my sig, because Darth Title or no, I'm still William Kaede.

DaathMenace wrote: Right. when no-one on the forum even *has* the "Darth" title

You're on the wrong forum if you want to be in the company of Darths. I'm only a guest here, outside of the ranking and membership systems. That being said, over at the other Sith Orders, there's quite a few who join up with their own Darth titles and very few of them actually survive. One clown actually had the gall to label himself as the Sith'ari, or Sith Messiah.

As I said above, few of the Dark Aspect take Darth names, the only one I can think of would be Draconis and he definitely deserves it. When I pass my Knighthood or my Lordship and qualify for one, I'll take up a Darth name. It'll be Scionis or Pariath, if I get a choice.

Menace, most Darth Names are plays on existing words or the use of Latin/Greek. Bane's Rule of Two Sith Order had that system, minus Darth Maul, to my knowledge. Plagueis, Sidious, Tyranus, Cognus, Tenebrous, Vader. The Old Sith Empire had a mix of existing words and plays on them, such as Scourge, Nihilus, Bandon, Vitiate. Even Revan and Malak were only using their real names.

Lord Kaan of the Brotherhood of Darkness denounced the Darth title, trying to have a unified Sith Order, which Bane destroyed in the Seventh Battle of Ruusan. Bane took up the Darth Title, being the only one of two known in his Lineage to actually use a real word, to my knowledge, but he took it as his Sith name, later becoming Darth Bane. The other was Darth Guile, but there was one named "Ramage". Lazy writing. Even the One Sith in the 140-ABY Era use Darth names without plain words.

In SW:TOR, "Darth" is considered a title of limited supply. There can only ever be a certain amount, and as a Sith Inquisitor part of your mission is helping your Master become "A Darth". To quote some of the fiction to finish?

"The Darth title was more than just a symbol of power; it was a claim of supremacy. It was used by those Dark Lords who have sought to enforce their will on the other Masters. It was a challenge — a warning to bow down or be destroyed."

―Sith Blademaster, Kas'im

"Someone here once told me that the Darth title was no longer used because it promoted rivalry among the Sith. It gave the Jedi an easy target. It was easier just to abandon the custom. To have all the Sith Masters use the same title of Dark Lord. But I know the truth, Qordis. I know why none of you claim that name for yourself. Fear. You're cowards. None of the Brotherhood is worthy of the Darth title. Least of all you."

―Darth Bane

Both are from the first in the Darth Bane Trilogy; Path of Destruction, by Drew Karpyshyn. I hope I've shed some light on the subject, Menace. If you're interested in being an actual darksider, there's the Order of the Sith Lords, Temple of the Sith Order, and the Dark Aspect of the Force Academy.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago #76320 by

Williamkaede wrote:
Freedon Naad, Marka Ragnos, Naga Sadow, Ulic Qel-Droma, Exar Kun. The list of Sith Lords who DON'T use it has some length to it as well, as well as some fairly big names.

Yeah. And Darth Vaeder.

Williamkaede wrote:
I've only ever met one Darth, and that's Draconis, and he is sure as hell worthy of the title.

Well, now you've met a second. After due consideration, I now proclaim myself "Darth", more than worthy of the title in my own eyes, which is enough, and with more than adequate knowledge of the Force to facilitate such a name.

Williamkaede wrote: You're on the wrong forum if you want to be in the company of Darths. I'm only a guest here, outside of the ranking and membership systems. That being said, over at the other Sith Orders, there's quite a few who join up with their own Darth titles and very few of them actually survive.

"Survive"?

Williamkaede wrote: One clown actually had the gall to label himself as the Sith'ari, or Sith Messiah.

Quite disrespectful of him.

Williamkaede wrote: As I said above, few of the Dark Aspect take Darth names, the only one I can think of would be Draconis and he definitely deserves it. When I pass my Knighthood or my Lordship and qualify for one, I'll take up a Darth name. It'll be Scionis or Pariath, if I get a choice.

Menace, most Darth Names are plays on existing words or the use of Latin/Greek. Bane's Rule of Two Sith Order had that system, minus Darth Maul, to my knowledge. Plagueis, Sidious, Tyranus, Cognus, Tenebrous, Vader. The Old Sith Empire had a mix of existing words and plays on them, such as Scourge, Nihilus, Bandon, Vitiate. Even Revan and Malak were only using their real names.

Yes- though I'm less interested in fiction and more in what the nature of the religion is; how others perceive the Force.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago #76380 by
I'm merely explaining how the Sith Orders operate with the Darth title and then went on a slight rant...

And by survive, I meant 'last within the order'.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #76388 by
Darth Draconis huh??? I am familiar. It has been some time since I saw that name. Yeah, he's one of the few, the proud, the Sith lol. I was never impressed by him, but he was no joke, he definitely knew his stuff.

Darth Menace, who was your master? Where did you earn the Darth title if you don't mind me asking, because you certainly can't just claim it, it must be earned.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago #76389 by

Fire and Ice wrote: Darth Menace, who was your master? Where did you earn the Darth title if you don't mind me asking, because you certainly can't just claim it, it must be earned.

Ever seen 'A Knight's Tale'?

How did the nobles become noble in the first place? They took it at the tip of a sword. I'll do it with a lance.

How do the first professors become professors? How do the first Kings become Kings? The first leaders become leaders?

Not that I'm saying Menace is deserving or not (I honestly don't know enough about him to warrant a worthwhile opinion), but not all those who are 'great' need validation from some authority

Where did this 'Draconis' get his title from? ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago #76392 by
Khaos was his Master at the Force Academy, that much I know. May have been the same at the Order.

Bane took the title, sure, but he also made sure he was deserving of it. It attracts attention.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #76394 by

Fire and Ice wrote: Darth Menace, who was your master? Where did you earn the Darth title if you don't mind me asking, because you certainly can't just claim it, it must be earned.

I am under no obligation whatsoever to justify my title to any, least of all yourself.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago #76443 by

Fire and Ice wrote:
Darth Menace, who was your master? Where did you earn the Darth title if you don't mind me asking, because you certainly can't just claim it, it must be earned.

It doesn't necessarily have to be earned, but if he can't live up to it, his failures will be far more obvious.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi