Initiate Ex IV Lesson1 - text vs audio title clash

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #53240 by
Sorry if this has been asked or cleared up previously (I did check as much as possible through this forum section)

I'm about to begin the "basic studies" of the Initiate's Program. I've come across a slight problem in the first lesson, Joseph Campbell's lectures on Myths.

I'd much prefer to read the lectures rather than listen/watch. I've noticed that the headings in the text do not "match up" to the headings of the audio files. For example, I'm pretty sure that "Part 1 - The hero's adventure" of the audio files is actually Part 6 of the text (it goes by the same name). Also, there are seven chapters in the text as opposed to six audio files.

Instead, the first chapter of the text is called "Myth and the modern world" and the second chapter, "The journey inward". From chapter three onwards the titles match up as far as I can tell (apart from the previously mentioned Chapter 6)

Should I just read and post thoughts on the seven chapters, in their sequence, instead?

Has anyone else had this problem before me?

Thanks, sorry for being a pain!
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #53241 by
If you read the notes at the beginning of the text version, you will see the following:
"Many of us who read the original transcripts were struck by the rich abundance of material captured during the twenty-four hours of filming -- much of which had to be cut in making the six-hour PBS series."

The text is therefore a transcript of the original interviews whereas the videos are the 6-part series that was an edited version of the transcripts. You are more than welcome to study either version. But make it clear in the title of each post - i.e. "Exercise IV: Power of Myth transcripts part 1: Myth and the Modern World"

Does that help? :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #53298 by
Cheers Mark - that makes perfect sense.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi