Colors

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 weeks ago #52534 by
Colors was created by
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question so sorry in advance! Anyway I was wondering if there are certain colors that hold significance to Jedis? I am not too familiar with many other religions but I know that there are a lot of symbolic links to colors like white and purple in the Christian faith, and although I know that the movies are fictional and are not directly linked to this religion I wonder if there was a reason the Jedi's seemed to commonly wear brown robes? Would there be certain colors that would be appropriate for certain occasions or symbolize modesty and such?

Sorry I know this might be silly but I am genuinely interested since those kind of symbolic things are exciting to me.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 weeks ago #52536 by
Replied by on topic Re: Colors
Well speaking personally I have no feelings towards colours one way or the other, so that's a no for myself :)

The brown robes are a symbol of simplicity, I guess that makes the brown significant, but the point about being monastic (something which we do not enforce or teach especially) and leading a simple life with few possessions is more important

But as I said we don't teach a monastic lifestyle so I guess the robes are just a homage to our origins :)

As for any other colours, there's the black and white of our symbol and of course some of us (my self included) also like the black and white of the yin and yang

But as with the robes, it is the duality that's being represented that has the greater importance

I hope that answers your question :)

Hope to see you on the forum!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 weeks ago #52537 by
Thank you for the reply, you addressed my concerns perfectly :)
I feel a bit silly since I forgot about white and black entirely!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 weeks ago #52538 by
Black and white are still technically colours so don't worry, but you're welcome :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 weeks ago #52543 by
Akkarin has expertly explained things yet again. Personally, my robes have a good bit of grey in them just as a symbol of the grey path I follow. As for an actual breakdown of what general colors stand for, I am not completely sure we have ever attempted to define such in light of the order. Might be a good project for one or two of our up and comers to engage and put up for approval by the council... (Hint, hint...)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 weeks ago #52546 by
I believe there's a brief part in the Jedi Liturgical Book on color. It was near the end. It can be found in the Library, if you'd like to check that out.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 weeks ago #52552 by
From the Jedi Liturgical Manual

Both individual Jedi and the community as a whole communicate to each other in a common language ofsymbols or signs which reflect the significance of the seasons, days, feast days and special events. From the beginning of time colors have always been a strongly expressive and reflective form of communication (mood, intention, reverence, worship, experience) in both secular and ecclesiastical worlds. And yet because of the experiential, cultural and social diversity of the individual colors have no one meaning, a cause for a great deal of misunderstanding. The following color scheme is a close as is possible reflection of the Jedi spirituality.

White- a symbol of light, typical for innocence and purity, joy and glory.

Red- a symbol of fire and blood, associated with burning charity and a martyrs' sacrifice.

Green- a symbol typical for vegetation, associated with the hope of eternal life.

Violet- a sombre symbol of the mortified, associated with affliction and melancholy.

Black- a universal symbol of mourning, associated with the sorrow of death and the tomb.

Brown- a familiar symbol for the earth, associated with fertility, stability and knowledge.

Blue- a calming symbol of endless skies, associated with peace and conservative unity.

Gold- a noble symbol of Kings, associated with the purity of the sun which gladdens the heart.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 weeks ago #52554 by

Phortis Nespin wrote: White- a symbol of light, typical for innocence and purity, joy and glory.

Red- a symbol of fire and blood, associated with burning charity and a martyrs' sacrifice.

Green- a symbol typical for vegetation, associated with the hope of eternal life.

Violet- a sombre symbol of the mortified, associated with affliction and melancholy.

Black- a universal symbol of mourning, associated with the sorrow of death and the tomb.

Brown- a familiar symbol for the earth, associated with fertility, stability and knowledge.

Blue- a calming symbol of endless skies, associated with peace and conservative unity.

Gold- a noble symbol of Kings, associated with the purity of the sun which gladdens the heart.

I guess the Temple has noted some meanings behind colours :)

I've actually read that but had forgotten it, first time I've seen it come up on the forums (I think)

More
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #52558 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Colors
Violet and Black get a bit of a doing over in that list!! I find Violet quite a powerful color, representative of harmony IMO, its also at the higher end of the range of frequancies in the visible spectrum so could be considered somewhat powerful.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 12 years 3 weeks ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Brenna

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 weeks ago #52564 by
Oh goodness thank you all so much! I actually am a bit happy that they have documented some meanings behind those colors. It might be cheesy but I love that sort of stuff, especially if it comes down to sewing my own clothes or choosing certain colors. It somehow just makes what I wear all the more meaningful to me.

I can't thank you all enough, I was a bit overwhelmed to see so many helpful comments :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi