About the Campbell reading/listening

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #320165 by
So I'm doing the first IP lesson and I have a question. The six parts of The Power of Myth that are assigned are, respectively, indicated as:

The Hero's Adventure
The Message of the Myth
The First Storytellers
Sacrifice and Bliss
Love and the Goddess
Masks of Eternity

...and I can't find these anywhere in the text; which I'm using for ease of taking notes. The 'parts' indicated in the text begin with I Myth and the Modern World and II The Journey Inward and I assume one will find III, IV, V, etc. as they move further into the text. So... what am I supposed to be reading? I've been going through Myth and the Modern World as the first of the six parts, but only just realised that it isn't titled the same.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #320166 by Alexandre Orion
Hello, Pascha --

The text is slightly different ; for the televised version (the videos) they had to edit down to make it fit in the time-frame of one-hour episodes.

The text is really more complete, thus a little longer and organised i a little different way.

Ergo, there are a couple of ways to do this :

The first is just very simply to use the text and report on the chapters as Flowers presented them - incidentally, the order in which the interviews actually took place. After all, the essential is not that one presents to us the information in a prescribed order, but that one gains a familiarity with the content, that one dialogues with it and can have ones own psychic landscape examined through it.

There is another way -- one can load the text, watch/listen to the audio-video, and then where there is something one wants to note, note down key phrases that are said, then search the text for those phrases. The search will find them in their original place in the interviews.

I hope this helps...

:)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #320168 by
I've read of you, Minister Orion. Given the occasional hushed tones of reverence I wasn't sure if you were still around; but I'm glad to find that you are. Thanks so much for the clarification, and I'll just go off the text moving forward.

More
5 years 11 months ago #320170 by Alexandre Orion
Don't worry, I'm here ... :)

Not all of the 'hushed tones' are of reverence. And I'm no one to be revered ... :cheer:
... lest we all are. ;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

More
5 years 11 months ago #320171 by Br. John
The sections in the text are:

Myth and the Modern World

The Journey Inward

The First Storytellers

Sacrifice and Bliss

The Hero's Adventure

The Gift of the Goddess

Tales of Love and Marriage

Masks of Eternity

In the PDF you can jump to the sections using Ctrl+F

The transcript covers everything in the video's and more.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

More
5 years 11 months ago #320175 by MadHatter
If you are sturggling with Campbell in any way I suggest looking at the study guide in the supplemental material under the lesson

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #320190 by
If you want to discuss it in real time, a few of us get together to discuss the IP lessons on Discord (you'd have to download it either on your phone or computer and have a working microphone. :)

This link should take you to the conversation on how to get involved:

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/ip-study-hall/121143-live-ip-study-hall-sat-4-21-2018-8pm-est#320189

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi