what makes a jedi?

More
6 years 9 months ago #287553 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic what makes a jedi?

My advice, don't depend on the opinion and especially the approval of others. Instead, define the spirituality of jediism as you see fit and then follow that unabashedly!

Unless you have no idea what you're doing, in which case feel free to use other people's guidelines and teachings until you're comfortable stepping out on your own.

There's no real shame in it.

(Not to Kyrin's taste, obviously, but assume our dear Wyldstar learned to prepare food, and drive, with no prompting ;) )

How to choose?

Well, you could research them all, and pick on that appeals - or you could assign each of them a number from 0-99, and roll the dice ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #287557 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic what makes a jedi?

JamesSand wrote: How to choose?

Well, you could research them all, and pick on that appeals - or you could assign each of them a number from 0-99, and roll the dice ;)

Best way to know if you like the taste of the kool-aid: drink the kool-aid.

Note: do not join any cult that forces you to drink anything you are not 100% sure the contents of.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #287564 by JamesSand

Note: do not join any cult that forces you to drink anything you are not 100% sure the contents of.

You would be absolutely no fun at any party that goes past midnight :laugh: :whistle:

Banter aside - It may be worth noting, that as far as I've observed, Jedi or anything similar enough by any other name, is not particularly pross...prozet...prozac...pringles... trying to get more members.

The Members of various groups find that group and its "ways" appealing, but no one* is really trying to "convert" anyone, or persuade someone that their brand is better than the other**

*I am, but I'm selling something

**Because when you've got Coke, you don't need to persuade anyone that it's the best. Everyone already knows.
Drink Coke. It's the best, and you know it!
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

More
6 years 9 months ago #287567 by Breeze el Tierno
Replied by Breeze el Tierno on topic what makes a jedi?

jediskitty wrote: strange question, I know.. but we can choose from over 100 cults and religions, all unique.
but jediism.. what is it that makes a jedi?

It's not really a strange question, but one not generally asked so directly. Why do you ask?

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #287568 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic what makes a jedi?
What everyone else said :D

Though the Temple here doesn't tell you 'if' your a Jedi so much beyond administrative requirements to define who is and who is not a member, and rather just offers a system to support particular types of interaction and development of ones own path and the ranks just support that is all. Its what you make it above and beyond those bare minimum thing the Temple asserts as that system, and what it asserts is deliberately open to allow each Jedi to be unique as much as the Temple thinks it can get away with it without being 'too' broad.

And since lots of people for different reasons have different opportunities available to them, different circumstances, it probably should not be about qualifications or activity as a measure necessarily (beyond things that do need measuring), but instead genuine intention and commitment within ones own personal circumstance.

So for me personally, like everyone else, its quite unique.
Personally, a blend of astronaut and pyschonaut, a merging of science and spirit in active engagement as much as possible. I couldn't go the particular way I wanted, but it doesn't stop me going as far as I can in both. It suits me because I grew up on the original trilogy being about 4 when Ep IV appeared. Sort of like a future-tense but contemporary spirituality, and a bit like extropianism and technogaianism but with a large chunk of exegesis over history to be firmly rooted in reality and not float off with the pixies too much. I think those two streams are very much related, and what is being represented by the source fiction and what it was trying to represent about humanity so far and its potential.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #287575 by
Replied by on topic what makes a jedi?

JamesSand wrote:

My advice, don't depend on the opinion and especially the approval of others. Instead, define the spirituality of jediism as you see fit and then follow that unabashedly!

Unless you have no idea what you're doing, in which case feel free to use other people's guidelines and teachings until you're comfortable stepping out on your own.

There's no real shame in it.

(Not to Kyrin's taste, obviously, but assume our dear Wyldstar learned to prepare food, and drive, with no prompting ;) )

How to choose?

My dear Mr Sand,

Rest assured that your attempts to indoctrinate falls on deaf ears here as far as I am concerned and i will make every effort to keep your recruitment machinations from influencing others within earshot of your demon tongue.

I have learned to both cook and drive quite effectively with no to little instruction of others. And even given those corporeal pursuits I have been even more independant when it comes to my spiritually. For you to even suggest that we are required to enlist the aid of others in order to learn about ourselves flys in the face of independent thought.

I'm sure you and your ilk have a massive pitcher of magical lemonade that will give all that buy into your song a ticket on the next spaceship to the stars, but I am not one. However, i wish you well on your journey.
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by .

More
6 years 9 months ago #287579 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic what makes a jedi?

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: For you to even suggest that we are required to enlist the aid of others in order to learn about ourselves flys in the face of independent thought.

I can shave without looking in a mirror, but a mirror is helpful.

I wonder why such an independent free thinker such as yourself would bother joining an online community?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #287593 by JamesSand

I'm sure you and your ilk have a massive pitcher of magical lemonade that will give all that buy into your song a ticket on the next spaceship to the stars, but I am not one. However, i wish you well on your journey.

Tickets for the next spaceship have already been presold, with an extensive waitlist.

However I can pencil you in for a spot on the launch after that, in case you change your mind?

Unfortunately, Magical Lemonade is only offered with our premium seating, but we do offer a selection of complimentary drinks with all of our packages.

I have learned to both cook and drive quite effectively with no to little instruction of others.

My first quip will have to go unquipped, because you raise a fascinating point, so I'll have to go with a (not really any more well considered, but I feel more philosophical, and in line with useful discussion) commentary -

In the absence of any other cars on the road, the one remaining driver might as well be an F1 Champion - there's nothing to really prove otherwise is there?

(The food metaphor is more of a struggle, because, well, eating rocks will still end up badly, whether you're on a Celebrity-Judged Cooking show or not)

Anyway, I believe there is a card game that caters to people with no love for the prison of weights and measures :P

It has a low grade dirty word, so spoilered - otherwise PG
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by JamesSand.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #287620 by
Replied by on topic what makes a jedi?

Manu wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: For you to even suggest that we are required to enlist the aid of others in order to learn about ourselves flys in the face of independent thought.

I can shave without looking in a mirror, but a mirror is helpful.

I wonder why such an independent free thinker such as yourself would bother joining an online community?

Why not join? They are fun and entertaining and you find a lot of kindred spirits, plus one get to banter back and forth with the worthy likes of mr James Sand. I see no down side in this so I say again, Why not join!

More
6 years 9 months ago #287676 by JamesSand

plus one get to banter back and forth with the worthy likes of mr James Sand

Awww shucks. :kiss: :blush:

We should just get rid of the whole "Jediism" banner and call ourselves the
"International Group of Pals."

We can still do the meditation and ethical behaviour, but without the burdens of apologising for Lucas' cinematic hubris.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Zenchi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi