Request for a Mature forum

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #278210 by Manu
Given the recent posting of a very graphic video that was considered in poor taste by many members, would it be a good idea to create a new forum category for starting these mature topics?

It would preferably be hidden from guests and include specific warnings and additional policies to avoid degrading into gratuitous depictions of sex or violence.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Manu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, rugadd

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #278213 by JamesSand
As long as the tags are in use, I don't see much need for an additional segregation?

It may seem unlikely at a forum such as this, but once you have a "sandpit" set aside for this sort of thing, well, it becomes our own little slice of 4chan right here where people may get carried away under the cover of "well it's the mature area, so what's wrong?"

(on the upside it might boost traffic....)

There's my....oh let's say a hapenny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Kohadre

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #278215 by
Replied by on topic Request for a Mature forum
"Request for a Mature forum"

Yeah, that'll end well xD

I know your intentions are good, but even with mods that's going to be a big hairy mess real fast.

Good luck ;)
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by .

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #278224 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Request for a Mature forum
Mature? Do you mean adolescent!? :D :P

In regards to violence, if it's awareness, then the imagery is not required here to achieve awareness.

If its learning, I still personally do not see a need. But one of my favorite hobbies was recreating software simulations of real life aircraft accidents (most usually fatal) so the circumstances could be run through to understand the breakdown in procedure ie the evolution of human error into tragedy. Or what sort of corrective actions might have had different impacts. It's bit dark but learning from others mistakes could be seen as a possible part of community....

... so for violence, like sex, I dunno if its relevant enough here to justify. Remembering the purpose of this particular community.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #278275 by
I don't think an additional subforum would be appropriate, just as I found the original post inappropriate.

There's a whole internet out there already, much of which is for stuff like this. One of the reasons I come here, when I do come here, is for a break from that kind of stuff.

A Temple is and should remain a spiritual refuge, in my opinion.

More
7 years 1 month ago #278278 by Breeze el Tierno
Depictions of that kind of violence should come with a warning, and moderators have added that warning. That gives one the option of engaging or not. Mischief managed.

Death and violence are real and should be confronted with respect both for the facts at hand and the victim in this particular case. I suspect she never asked to be a show. That said, I do believe confronting death in a sober and respectful way has a great deal to teach us.

In terms of a Mature forum, one would hope that this would be unnecessary, as Jedi should comport themselves that way anyway, a little fun aside. It would be a shame if the rest of the forum became a defacto immature forum. There is a whole rest of the internet for that. I respect your intentions, but I think a better strategy would be to mind one's behavior set a better example.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Wescli Wardest, rugadd, Avalon

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #278285 by

JamesSand wrote: As long as the tags are in use, I don't see much need for an additional segregation?

It may seem unlikely at a forum such as this, but once you have a "sandpit" set aside for this sort of thing, well, it becomes our own little slice of 4chan right here where people may get carried away under the cover of "well it's the mature area, so what's wrong?"

(on the upside it might boost traffic....)

There's my....oh let's say a hapenny.

I agree with James here. If we follow procedures already in place we don't need a new sub forum and having one only seems to invite unnecessary "mature" content. If it i's relevant here post it here in one of the currently existing forums. The "maturity" of the content is less important to me than its relevence.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #278292 by OB1Shinobi
i have time for one post today, so i hope i make it count

1) isnt there a minors forum?
doesnt that mean that the rest of the forum is, by categorical definition the "mature forum"? the addition of another is unnecessary: it would imply that we have special place for really "bad" content as well as segregating the rest of the forum into "safe content only" area where it was officially decided that only sterilized "approved" material and discussion is permitted.
i dont see how that would be an improvement.

2) i didnt put a warning because i asssumed my audience was a group of adults. the video was called "punishment in saudi arabia" and the first thing you see is a guy with a saber in his hand- as i understand things, that IS the warning.
nevertheless, it is the respectful thing to do to include a warnin and i failed to do that. i did ackowledge and apologize for that as soon as it was mentioned but i can understand that it was easy to miss in the ensuing discussions, which leads me to....

3) i was not trying to be disrespectful to the forum; i felt the video was relevant to the conversation at multiple levels -which i still believe- and was a very good example of why the world needs Jedi; the sort of material that helps put into perspective what it is that we're doing when we decide that we want to make the world a better place- which i also still believe, but the guidelines about such things exist for a reason, and are fair, and i failed to meet them.
for that, i do apologize.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Amaya

More
7 years 1 month ago #278294 by Breeze el Tierno
Ah, how funny. I misunderstood "Mature" to mean that people would behave in a very mature manner there, as opposed to other places. You meant it the way people use the word Adult like an Adult Movie.

Slow on the pick-up, me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #278296 by
Can we disuss this like Jedi please

Ow wait , if we behaved like Jedi , we would not have to ...

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi