The Jedi Code

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #216910 by
The Jedi Code was created by
After reading the Jedi code I have come to a halt. I have meditated on it and I can not come to a decision. "There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no passion, there is Serenity." I am having trouble diserning these two portions of the Code. If any member of the Temple would so kindly aid me with their thoughts, I would be ever so gracious.
-Finley

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #216914 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic The Jedi Code
Perhaps the other version of the code would help?

Emotion, yet peace
Ignorance, yet knowledge
Passion, yet serenity
Chaos, yet harmony
Death, yet the Force.

In essence, the code is telling you that the ideas in each line exist together... I would say they are there remind that you have to have balance... it is fine to have emotion, but not to let it control you, and it is fine to have passion, but not to the extent that it dominates. Emotion allows us to feel for others, but you need to have occasion to find peace too to know that those emotions don't get the better of you.. for example if you let anger control you, you may end up doing something you regret. And passion allows us to get motivated towards causes we believe in, but unchecked it can cause a narrowing of focus, so that we might miss what's important. Sometimes you need to have serenity instead, to give yourself space to keep perspective.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #216916 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic The Jedi Code
Emotion is not the synonym to sentiment. Sentiments - feelings - there are ... yet when we are deranged physically or behaviourally or both, unable to allow our feelings to be whatever they are without having to do something (usually inappropriate), then it becomes emotion (from e-movere -lt.- "to disturb")

Likewise, passion is not really the same as enthusiasm. Passion (passio - "to suffer") is when the enthusiasm controls us, thus impeding the very autonomy we feel we are exercising in pursuit of its, the 'passion's', satisfaction. Moreover, passions are very hard to satisfy. They tend to become addictions ...

Does that help ?

EDIT : Yeah ... what Edan said above ! ;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Loudzoo

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #216917 by
Replied by on topic The Jedi Code
Thank you both Edan and Alexandre. Both of you explanations have helped me to see the code for what it is and not a repetition of the same thing.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #216933 by
Replied by on topic The Jedi Code
You are more than your chemicals. B)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #216934 by
Replied by on topic Re:RE: The Jedi Code

Finley wrote: After reading the Jedi code I have come to a halt. I have meditated on it and I can not come to a decision. "There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no passion, there is Serenity." I am having trouble diserning these two portions of the Code. If any member of the Temple would so kindly aid me with their thoughts, I would be ever so gracious.
-Finley

what trouble discerning the Jedi code do you have?

Edan wrote: Perhaps the other version of the code would help?

Emotion, yet peace
Ignorance, yet knowledge
Passion, yet serenity
Chaos, yet harmony
Death, yet the Force.

this one edan quoted is the initiate Jedi code, and more inclusive, even more multifaceted. I much prefer this version

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi