A couple of questions...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #104052 by
A couple of questions... was created by
Hi, I'm new here, I just signed up recently. I have a couple of questions I wanted to get answered before I filled in the application and take the oath.

1. I recently joined the US Navy. I've signed my contract so there's no going back now. Does Jediism have anything to say about military service? I know Jedi are supposed to be peaceful, but I may not have a choice there.

2. (This one is assuming military service doesn't put any kind of stop to an application) I leave for basic training in early July and then I will have no internet access for at least 2 months and possibly up to 5 months. Assuming I go at the average Initiate's learning speed, would I be able to finish the Initiate training before then? Or would it be recommended that I hold off until I finish training and have a bit more consistent access to the internet?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #104055 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic A couple of questions...
1) We have many, many, active and veteran military members here. I'm sure they'll all crop up in this thread in a second :laugh:

So no, we have no problem with it whatsoever.

2) It's definitely possible to complete the IP in 2.5 months. It depends on your level of dedication and how much time you can commit to it really. If you can commit to doing a lesson once every 2 or 3 days, you should be able to manage it by July. If not, you might prefer to leave it - or you could consider doing a few chunks of it before you go, like maybe the Campbell lectures and 'The Book' by Alan Watts. That way you wont have to pick up from half-way through something when you return :)

B.Div | OCP

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #104057 by
Replied by on topic A couple of questions...
That's good to know, thanks. As for the Apprentice phase, I know I wouldn't have time to complete that. Would I have to wait until I'm done with basic to move on to that part or would I be able start that upon completion of Initiate training but put it on pause until I come back?

More
10 years 11 months ago #104059 by Ben
It would depend on the Training Master...

In the event that you complete the IP and a Training Master approaches you to see if you would be a good fit for Apprenticeship, that is something that you can discuss with them :)

B.Div | OCP

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #104061 by
Replied by on topic A couple of questions...
Ok, thank you for the help. :)

More
10 years 11 months ago #104062 by Ben
No problem...if you realise that you have any more questions at any point, please don't hesitate to ask! :)

B.Div | OCP

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 11 months ago #104063 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic A couple of questions...
Do what you can, and don't worry...

This isn't a race, as a Temple Elder (lol), im still in training....

And, I still revisit, and redo the initiates program...

As Bruce Willis,said in the movie "12 Monkeys"

"The story doesn't change, it can't... You change...

Every time you [read, watch, hear] the story, you are not the same you that [read, saw, heard] it before..."

So take your time... And think about what you [read, saw, heard]…

You will get more out of it...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi