Sunday Sermons.... Why?

More
11 years 2 months ago #92928 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re: Sunday Sermons.... Why?

ren wrote:

services are usually held on Sunday because people are less likely to have work commitments. I know I wouldn't usually be able to attend on any other day.

There's a very low turnout. knightings in the middle of the week however have proven quite popular.

We (Ren and I) discussed this informally before, a while ago, and chatted about whether it would be worth trying to hold live services on a weekday instead.

It's something I haven't forgotten about, and I think it might be worth trialling (maybe we'll give it a go for the March service)...

Often we end up with only 4 or 5 people attending the monthly live service, whereas when Mark and I have held special Feast Day services on weekdays we've had over 20 members in attendance.

However, I do wonder if this is more to do with the fact that they were marked out as 'special' services, in the same way that rank-related ceremonies are, so it's hard to compare.

But as I said...probably worth holding a future monthly service on a weekday just to see if it makes a difference :)

B.Div | OCP

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #92929 by
Replied by on topic Re: Sunday Sermons.... Why?
Would make sense to try it for at least 2 services (possibly even 3) what with statistical anomalies you get sometimes...

/math nerd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago #102995 by
So how are the weekday sermons going? Will this one on Monday be the 2nd one?

Any chance the live services can rotate on weekdays and weekends? It's just me, but I'll never (unless I'm off work which is rare on a weekday) be able to attend a weekday sermon.

Maybe do one sermon on the weekday, and the next month on the weekend?

Just a thought...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago #103000 by
Have we ever thought about trying a Google+ Hangout for a service?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago #103001 by

Connor Lidell wrote: Have we ever thought about trying a Google+ Hangout for a service?

There was one really awesome sermon some guy did over skype this one time... :whistle:

I spoke and typed at the same time which meant speaking slowy...

It might be better to do one and then the other i.e. you say it all the way through then do the text one after:

9PM UTC - Spoken Sermon
9.30PM UTC - Text Sermon

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #103002 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re: Sunday Sermons.... Why?

Learn_To_Know wrote: So how are the weekday sermons going? Will this one on Monday be the 2nd one?

Any chance the live services can rotate on weekdays and weekends? It's just me, but I'll never (unless I'm off work which is rare on a weekday) be able to attend a weekday sermon.

Maybe do one sermon on the weekday, and the next month on the weekend?

I think this is the third Monday one...the attendances have been vastly improved since we've been trialling them on Mondays.

I hear what you're saying LTK, and I wouldn't like to think that there are some people who will never be able to attend on a weekday, but when we do it on a Sunday and only 3 people turn up it's not great, I have to admit... :(

I still consider the Monday thing a 'trial' at the moment...when I do the next schedule I will give this some thought and bear your comments in mind.

Connor Lidell wrote: Have we ever thought about trying a Google+ Hangout for a service?

As Akkarin says, he tried one on skype once...

There must be a service in chat, because this (the website) is the equivalent of the physical location of the Church. People shouldn't have to go off-site to take part in our services.

My view is that everyone should be together when doing a service as it's partly about the sense of community, and this is why I never use any kind of separate chat/audio/video facility (other than links to videos and music). Sometimes services involve opportunities for discussion, and this can't happen effectively if the attendees are split across different places.

However, if Ministers want to try to conduct the service in another place simultaneously, they are free to do so as things stand at the moment.

B.Div | OCP
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by Ben.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago #103003 by
Just, for me, I lose a sense of communion in the text only sermons. Some audio or even video could be really awesome.

I wish I had seen/heard that Akkarin. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago #103004 by

V-Tog wrote: I think this is the third Monday one...the attendances have been vastly improved since we've been trialling them on Mondays.

Actually, that's great! I'm glad more people are able to make it. :)

V-Tog wrote: I hear what you're saying LTK, and I wouldn't like to think that there are some people who will never be able to attend on a weekday, but when we do it on a Sunday and only 3 people turn up it's not great, I have to admit... :(

Understand completely.

Maybe as the Temple continues to grow, there could be...wait for it
TWO services! One on Sunday, and one on Monday. :cheer:

In time...in time. :)

Thanks for dropping by and giving your thoughts.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 1 week ago #103093 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Sunday Sermons.... Why?
Let's do one a week instead of one a month first. Then we can have two a week :D When Mark started doing them, I think he was doing three live services per week-end? But sometimes only one or two people would turn up...

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, MCSH

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago #103531 by
Indeed - I tried it at two different times during the day so that people on both sides of the Atlantic (and the other side of the world) could have more chance of attending but would only get 1 or 2 for each one.

Glad to see they're much better attended now!

On a note about simultaneous broadcasting, if a service is pre-written, it isn't too much hassle to copy and paste teach line to Chat as they are spoken over something like Skype. Music can still be played either as a link or live. The only issue is the reading of the Creed, which takes a lot longer when you're waiting for everyone to reply in Chat! The people attending in real time video/audio would be waiting a while between lines...

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi