Clergy Etiquette

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2469 by
Clergy Etiquette was created by
Notes From The Clergy Etiquette Book

Address Bishops verbally as \"Bishop Last Name\". It is optional to add his last name. If you say the Bishop's last name, do so only once. After that, simply address him as \"Bishop\". Address letters to \"The Most Reverend Full Name, D.D.\", then add any other doctoral degrees, if he has any. In conversation, a bishop may be addressed \"Bishop\" without name. It is preferable to use no name than to call the Bishop by his first name. Simply address him as \"Bishop\". In some cases, the most formal way to address a Bishop is \"My Lord\". The equivalent for Archbishops is \"Your Grace\". However, many senior clergy find this form of address embarrassing, and are extremely unlikely to insist upon it.

Clergymen may not address anyone in an informal manner at any time except in private conversation and only if the persons involved are in an informal relationship. A clergyman must always address people with their proper title: Mr., Mrs., Dr., Reverend, Father, Monsignor, Bishop, etc. Clergymen may address young persons by their first name. In a formal setting, as in making wedding or baptism or funeral arrangements, the clergyman must address people in a formal manner.

A general rule is always to be formal. Familiarity is not proper with any clergyman unless you are a relative, and then, only in private. Informality is never proper in public or with anyone unless you are a relative or a close friend, and you are in private circumstances. If you are with your close friend who is a Bishop and you are in public, you must address him as \"Bishop\". The same model is used for persons with other professional titles, like \"Doctor\" or honorary titles like \"Monsignor\". Referring to your close friend who is a Bishop as \"John\" or \"Marty\" in public circumstances is improper, and it will embarrass you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Neaj Pa Bol
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...
More
16 years 10 months ago #2471 by Neaj Pa Bol
Replied by Neaj Pa Bol on topic Re:Clergy Etiquette
uhmmm.. etiquette, well lets just get a little humor here....

I had enough problems getting use to the Mrs. after getting married and got worse when my daughter was growing up with hearing Mrs. from her friends and the teachers.... Made me feel real old....LOL

Then it got worse becoming a grandma....LOL

Then getting use to Reverend..... Now Bishop.... Whew.... but, to the serious side of things, respect is something that goes along with Etiquette and in the everyday world, we don't always see it used.... It's nice to see a balance of it here. And, it doesn't take a lot of effort to apply it in the Temple here or the outside world. As well as the reward, it's returned in kind!!

Great post Br. John!!

Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Let the improvement of yourself keep you so busy that you have no time to criticize others. Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Participated in the making of the book, “The Jedi Compass”with 2 articles.

For today I serve so that tomorrow I may serve again. One step, One Vow, One Moment... Too always remember it is not about me... Master Neaj Pa Bol

Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...

Faith is a journey, not a guilt trip...

Quiet your emotions to find inner peace. Learn from ignorance to foster knowledge.
Enjoy your passions but be immersed in serenity. Understand the chaos to see the harmony.
Life and death is to be one with the Force.

Apprentice's: Master Zanthan Storm, Jaxxy (Master Rachat et Espoir (Bridgette Barker))

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2480 by
Replied by on topic Re:Clergy Etiquette
I think this is great, i believe that we all should listen and take heed to this. yes we are not looking for power trips but as a church this is just the way of things, if you have earned the rank of bishop than congratulations are in order. any rank i congratulate you all. i hope this helps us all with this now out in the open. i think to make things easy, next to you're user name on the post you should have you're positions, so new comers will know what to call you. thats just a thought though. have a great night everyone MTFBWYA

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2486 by
Ahhhh Etiquette, The fundemental building block of civility. While It is important to remain Humble, we should always congratulate and lift up our Brother's and Sister in Their acomplishements. One of the main ways we can do this is by showing them due respect as they progress and achieve on thier Path, as Bishop Thomas (Dan) pointed out. This use of etiquette shows not only respect but also Love, which is central to a Jedi's life.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 10 months ago #2527 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Clergy Etiquette
Due to my intensive involvement with the Roman Catholic Church this form of address is not unfamiliar to me. I also have to agree with you all on this. This is not only a sign of respect for their achievement but also for the responsability which it carries. That is why I also stand corrected in my address of members in the Forum. I have addressed members with their first names, which I have to add was not done out of disrespect. Quite the contrary.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2540 by
I ditto Rev. Finch's words. I, too, have called people by their first names casually without even thinking about it. As a recent member of the armed forces, I am use to using a rank then last name when in general public with peers and higher ranking individuals. Good call.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2546 by
ok just so you guys don't feel bad, if Serric comes in then say hello rev. Serric or brother Serric. if you don't know their last name than there is no disrespect. just a little food for thought. MTFBWYA

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 10 months ago #2550 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Clergy Etiquette
Thanks Rev.Jeff Justice, solidarity helps! I don`t want to make a big thing out of it, but this issue of titles has also helped me to reflect and rethink (in a positive way) my thoughts and attitude to TOTJO and to myself included. This is definitely not an isolated issue, but it shows how everything hangs together.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2572 by
what i have found is that i am very uncomfortable being addressed as \"Rev.\" or \"Minister\", not so much for the connotations associated with them, but it just feels very different lol. in fact the first and only marriage liscence i signed, i completely forgot to add the Minister or Reverand part and just signed my name.....that won't have any effect on its legality will it???

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2587 by
it shouldn't but if there is a problem all they have to do is ask you about it and you show proof again thats all. MTFBWY

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi