The Torah?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #45216 by
The Torah? was created by
Ok so I remember always being told that the torah is he old testament for the longest time but then I heard somewhere that they are similiar but changed in the old testament. I then was at barnes and nobles looking at eastern religion sectin and saw the torah. I was going to buy it until I opened it and it had all the names of the old testament only difference was it had hebrew right next to the english so I didn't buy it, so what is the Torah exactly compared to the old testament?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #45217 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: The Torah?
I only had a hunch on this so I looked at Wikipedia, it agrees with my shady memory that it seems to say the Torah has 2 parts, written and spoken teachings. It says the Midrash and Talmud now represent those spoken aspects of the Torah... so I guess the Torah could be the compilation of those three documents. See also Rabbinic Judaism versus Karaite Judaism , and the Tanakh

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #97928 by
Replied by on topic Re: The Torah?

Nameless3450 wrote: Ok so I remember always being told that the torah is he old testament for the longest time but then I heard somewhere that they are similiar but changed in the old testament. I then was at barnes and nobles looking at eastern religion sectin and saw the torah. I was going to buy it until I opened it and it had all the names of the old testament only difference was it had hebrew right next to the english so I didn't buy it, so what is the Torah exactly compared to the old testament?

The Torah is the Written teachings of G-d to the Children of Israel and contains the 613 Commandments given to Moses on Mt Sinai. It is commonly referred to at the Pentateuch as it is a compilation of 5 books B'reishit (Genesis), Sh'mot (Exodus), Vayikra (Levitcus), Bamidbar(Numbers) and D'varim (Deuteronomy) The complete Jewish bible is called the Tanach, The Tanach is a combination of this three sections.. 1 The Torah (The teachings) 2. Neviim (Prophesies) and Ketuvim (writings) which for Christians is considered the Old Testement but for Jews is the Bible.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #97929 by
Replied by on topic Re: The Torah?

Adder wrote: I only had a hunch on this so I looked at Wikipedia, it agrees with my shady memory that it seems to say the Torah has 2 parts, written and spoken teachings. It says the Midrash and Talmud now represent those spoken aspects of the Torah... so I guess the Torah could be the compilation of those three documents. See also Rabbinic Judaism versus Karaite Judaism , and the Tanakh

There is the Literal Torah which is the Pentateuch or Five books of Moses.

There is also the Esoteric Torah which would include All of the Tanach, the Bavli Talmud, the Yerushalmi Talmud, the Shulkhan Aruch, the Totafot, the Sefer Yetzirah, the Zohar, and really all authoritative documents such as Maimonidies Guide for the Perplexed.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #376425 by rafey_yasere
Replied by rafey_yasere on topic The Torah?
Definitely a late reply but Jewish opinion:
They are two different texts as they are two completely different interpretations. Along with this, The Torah is only the first five books of the OT, the Tanakh is all of them. But due to the drastic differences of interpretation and translation, they are still different texts.

Ra'Fey Ya'Sere
Yosef ben Miriam v'Garshen
He/They

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi