Excellent Book for Abrahamic Rites (or anyone)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #40898 by
I finished reading a book by the author Philip Gulley called "The Evolution of Faith". It was an excellent read that I think would be enjoyed by most of us here. The author has many Jedi-like traits. He writes how God is open to all religions and truly does love everyone, and isn't the God of hate that is typically preached in many mainstream churches of today.

I'm not advertising for him or anything. Just wanted to put it out there for anyone who hasn't heard of him. It is just overall a great book that shares a lot of what we believe as Abrahamic Jedi, or even Jedi in general.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #41055 by
Hello Cynthia!

I am assuming, understanding that assumptions can be dangerous, that you are a Christian Abrahamic Jedi. Were my assumption be true, I would start to wonder if you have perchance heard of a Christian Pastor named Rob Bell, who has a new book entitled "Love Wins" out? It has a similar theme as you described, as does the rest of his work. Thought you might find him interesting as well, if you haven't already read him. From one Abrahamic to another! Thanks for your suggestion, I will try to find it at the library asap. :)

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 7 months ago #41059 by Jestor
Are there copies available? maybe for the library?

If not, maybe talk to Jasper about making a list of recomended reading of books for when they are not available in PDF or audio...

Also, check out James Allen... was Jedi-esque in the early 1900's....;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #41087 by Br. John
Phillip Gulley has another book, If the Church Were Christian: Rediscovering the Values of Jesus; the chapter headings are compelling.

1) Jesus would be a model for living rather than an object of worship
2) Affirming our potential would be more important than condemning our brokenness
3) Reconciliation would be valued over judgment
4) Gracious behavior would be more important than right belief
5) Inviting questions would be valued more than supplying answers
6) Encouraging personal exploration would be more important than communal uniformity
7) Meeting needs would be more important than maintaining institutions
8) Peace would be more important than power
9) It would care more about love and less about sex
10) This life would be more important than the afterlife

Founder of The Order
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Br. John.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #41097 by
I will have to check out some stuff by James Allen. If it is similar to Gulley's work, I'm interested!

Jestor: Copies? As in just free text you can find anywhere? If so, not that I know of.

I'm planning on reading more of his works, Br John. The rest of his works seem interesting. Looks like they are written the same way as Evolution of Faith. I was honestly quite surprised when I found out about him. I didn't know of many others that had similar views to what I believed. I mean other than here. I can truly say that that book brought me back a little closer to my faith, or understanding it more at least.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 7 months ago #41099 by Jestor
Upon further review, I am not sure it belongs in the forum...

It is not necessarily against the Abrahamic thoery...

But, I think, it is wort reading by all...

I have an app for my phone called "Audiobooks", it allows me to listen to books from Libravox, which is a place that makes audio recordings of books in the public domain... I am going to ask Jasper to down load copies, and accoding PDF's for the library... I just havent yet cause he was moving the library to a new place...

This exerpt is from The Path of Prosperity it is the forward...

FOREWORD
I looked around upon the world, and saw that it was shadowed by sorrow and scorched by the fierce fires of suffering. And I looked for the cause. I looked around, but could not find it; I looked in books, but could not find it; I looked within, and found there both the cause and the self-made nature of that cause. I looked again, and deeper, and found the remedy.

I found one Law, the Law of Love; one Life, the Life of adjustment to that Law; one Truth, the truth of a conquered mind and a quiet and obedient heart. And I dreamed of writing a book which should help men and women, whether rich or poor, learned or unlearned, worldly or unworldly, to find within themselves the source of all success, all happiness, all accomplishment, all truth. And the dream remained with me, and at last became substantial; and now I send it forth into the world on its mission of healing and blessedness, knowing that it cannot fail to reach the homes and hearts of those who are waiting and ready to receive it.
JAMES ALLEN.

This book is awesome... I am going to PM jasper with my list... to see if he can do that...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi