Way Of Sorrows

Moderators: Desolous

Way Of Sorrows 23 Mar 2008 01:32 #12777

• Yoda
The Stations of the Cross (or Way of the Cross ; in Latin , Via Crucis ; also called the Via Dolorosa or Way of Sorrows , or simply, The Way ) refers to the depiction of the final hours (or Passion ) of Jesus , and the devotion commemorating the Passion. The tradition as chapel devotion began with St. Francis of Assisi and extended throughout the Roman Catholic Church in the medieval period. It is less often observed in Anglicanism , and Lutheranism as well. It may be done at any time, but is most commonly done during the Season of Lent , especially on Good Friday and on Friday evenings during Lent . On Good Friday 1991, Pope John Paul II introduced a new form of devotion, called the Scriptural Way of the Cross which calls for more meditation. He celebrated that thereafter at the Colosseum The object of the Stations is to help the faithful to make a spiritual pilgrimage of prayer, through meditating upon the chief scenes of Christ's sufferings and death. It has become one of the most popular devotions for Roman Catholics, as well as featuring in the worship and devotion of other Christian denominations . In the Roman Catholic tradition, the meditation is often performed in a spirit of reparation for the sufferings and insults that Jesus endured during His Passion. In his encyclical Miserentissimus Redemptor on reparations, Pope Pius XI called Acts of Reparation to Jesus Christ a duty for Catholics and refered to them as \" some sort of compensation to be rendered for the injury \" with respect to the sufferings of Jesus. Pope John Paul II referred to Acts of Reparation as the \" unceasing effort to stand beside the endless crosses on which the Son of God continues to be crucified \". The Stations themselves are usually a series of 14* pictures or sculptures depicting the following scenes: Jesus is condemned to death Jesus receives the cross Jesus falls the first time Jesus meets His Mother Simon of Cyrene carries the cross Veronica wipes Jesus' face with her veil Jesus falls the second time Jesus meets the daughters of Jerusalem Jesus falls the third time Jesus is stripped of His garments Crucifixion : Jesus is nailed to the cross Jesus dies on the cross Jesus' body is removed from the cross ( Pieta ) Jesus is laid in the tomb and covered in incense. Pope John Paul II created a version, for the Roman Catholic Church, in which all of the Stations were taken from Scripture known as the Scriptural Way of the Cross . It was first publicly celebrated by Pope John Paul II on Good Friday 1991 in the Coliseum in Rome . In 2007, Pope Benedict XVI approved this set of stations for meditation and public celebration: They follow this sequence: Jesus in the Garden of Olives, Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested, Jesus is condemned by the Sanhedrin, Jesus is denied by Peter, Jesus is judged by Pilate, Jesus is scourged and crowned with thorns, Jesus takes up his cross, Jesus is helped by Simon to carry his cross, Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem, Jesus is crucified, Jesus promises his kingdom to the good thief, Jesus and his mother and disciple, Jesus dies on the cross, Jesus is laid in the tomb. In the Roman Catholic Church, Pope John Paul II led an annual public prayer of the Stations of the Cross at the Roman Colosseum on Good Friday. Originally, the Pope himself carried the cross from station to station, but in his last years, he presided over the celebration from a stage on the Palatine Hill , while others carried the cross. Just days prior to his death in 2005, Pope John Paul II observed the Stations of the Cross from his private chapel in the Vatican . Each year a different person is invited to write the meditation texts for the Stations. Past composers of the Papal Stations include several non-Catholics. The Holy Father himself wrote the texts for the Jubilee year 2000 and used the traditional Stations. The celebration of the Stations of the Cross is especially common on the Fridays of Lent, especially Good Friday. Community celebrations are usually accompanied by various songs and prayers. Particularly common as musical accompaniment is the sequence Stabat Mater Dolorosa . At the end of each station, the Adoramus Te is sometimes sung. The Alleluia is also sung; however, that holy word is buried during Lent. Structurally, Mel Gibson 's 2004 film, The Passion of Christ , follows the Stations of the Cross. The fourteenth and last station, the Burial, is not prominently depicted (compared to the other thirteen) but it is implied since the last shot before credit titles is Jesus resurrected and about to leave the tomb.
Latest Posts Comments Sermons
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by MartaLina)
    • for so many things , for my mother still being here, for my daughter , for my friends , for the Temple , for online courses , for French lessons but most and for all for having the strenght to bend and not to break :cheer:
    • Who is God to you? (Last post by Sven One)
    • @leah well, I have always been taught it isn't about you its about Jesus. Would this change or challenge my faith in Christ? Nope, not at all. Jesus Christ I will always have in my heart. The church structure no. I grow tired of hearing people say how much they love God yet, they bash each other and are at times the most hypocritical group of people myself included in this I have done it as well. Espically, when someone leaves church. But, when they're in church they loved them so...obviously not! And I hate to bash others but, it makes me think. Is leaving as horrible as I think? Or, is it a mind over matter deal.
    • Should jedi stay out of politcal office (Last post by JamesSand)
    • I would say it depends on the office - Many places are (semi) democratic - The Official is elected, and acts on behalf of a group. I do not see that as a problem - It is a duty, and carried out correctly is very in tune with the Jedi Path. On the other hand, having executive power can lead to corruption, a Jedi must be aware of this (as alluded to by Atticus) and consider intentions, and outcomes, and consult advisors as required. Many systems do (or should?) have some sort of Veto arrangement to prevent any individual going off on their own and making wild edicts. Should a Jedi be in the Senate? Definitely. Should a Jedi be Caesar? Probably not. (inb4 Silas: Yes, Jedi should rule - They're the only ones sensible and mindful enough to make the right decisions for the right reasons. ;) )
    • Leaders Eat Last (Leadership in Jediism) (Last post by Adder)
    • It was interesting about the alpha. I was discussing this with Ms Adder last night, she was adamant the alpha was the most aggressive and I was sure it was the one with the most authority. While there clearly is an overlap, in practical terms our workplace relationships probably transition across a range between work and social, with the people stronger in the social leveraging that to gain authority, and people stronger in authority leveraging that to be social... seemingly. I think then, as discussed in the video, that clear roles in the hierarchy are important and also that they are accepted by all as important. So I'd say all parties need to contribute within the purview of their roles and that their roles are effectively integrated and reinforcing to the groups overall intentions in the longer term, but leadership attributes I think besides all that need to bring; 1. capability in all activities within the group (operations) 2. integration in the groups functional output (operations) 3. capability of related activities existing outside of the group (intelligence) 4. integration with required functional relationships outside of the group (liason, C2) 5. acceptance and adherence by group to participation (performance?) So I do not think a leader can force a group to work at its best, but they can certainly force a group to fail - such that I think a good leader can still be ignored and undermined under normal circumstances, and indeed under normal circumstances a good leader might not be as evidently capable if their particular capabilities are performance in abnormal circumstances. Indeed a great leader probably only becomes apparent when the group is tested to the limit and the leader shows why they are the leader. So there probably also needs to be quantifiable testing of performance to determine who can achieve those first 4 types of attributes under abnormal conditions to reinforce the 5th. Importantly that might need to be done within the scope of the work and not the social domains in the workplace - because the failure of the leader will most likely be manifest as a result of the followers using whatever mechanism is available to replace the leader.... unless its a social club!!! That said, we are all human and while we might participate in a group with a work function, it does need to be balanced to ensure the health of the members as health failings in the group participants due to work will reduce effectiveness no matter how well the group could theoretically function.
    • Questions for Christians of the site (Last post by rrhodes67)
    • I've thought of these questions myself. I don't know where I stand on the issue of Christianity. I believe in the message of the J man, like love your neighbor, don't be a dick, etc. I also believe in the possibility of God, which is what I believe the force is. But I can't commit to Christianity, because I don't believe the bible is literal, I don't and can't discriminate against gays, I don't believe someone being gay is sinful. I have trouble with those areas of the story that defy science, or physics. Things like raising the dead, the resurrection, the miracles, and the virgin birth. I do believe miracles happen, but not in the literal way the Bible described them. I had someone tell me once, that if I had enough faith in God, my spine would knit back together, my leg muscles would expand and it would be as if I'd never been paralyzed. Now that to me just goes beyond the realm of common sense and believability and into the area of fantasy. So I don't know if I could ever be a Christian, even though I was raised in a Christian home, because I can't believe in all the stuff that goes with it. I am however interested in what I've seen called Christian Mysticism.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Goken)
    • It really bugs me when within an hour of each other I have to deal with a customer who is mad that we're making it too difficult to access her money from out side of the US (we're a small bank mind you) and get an email detailing the increase in fraudulent activity today, some of which is coming from foreign countries! Seriously folks, I do not want to make your life difficult, it makes my life difficult too, but there are lots of bad people out there that we have to protect ourselves and you from. THEY are making things difficult. I would love to live in a world where you can call me and tell me that you moved to a middle eastern country but left all of your money here and I could not only believe you but I could send it to you immediately. Sadly though, that is the exact opposite of the world we live in.
    • Think... (Last post by Jack.Troutman)
    • Day 11 Usefulness of Nothing The thirty spokes of a carriage wheel Uniting at the nave Are made useful by the hole in the center Where nothing exists. Vessels of molded earth Are useful by reason of their hollowness. Doors and windows Are useful by being cut out. A house is useful because of its emptiness. Thus we use what is not To make use of what is. From the Tao Te Ching
    • World Trade Center Steel (Last post by Jaxz)
    • Quote: It is for that reason that I refused to go to the Holocaust museum in D.C. when I visited. That's one of those things that even thinking about it starts to affect me like that so being around something like that I don't think I could handle. It's moments like that that I really feel like I can "feel the Force" as it were. I just wish it was easier to create something that could channel positive emotions with that same intensity. Interesting that you mention the Holocaust Museum. When. I was in my senior year of High School, our Senior Class trip was to go to D.C. While there, we went to the Holocaust Museum. I don't remember all of it, but what I do remember is turning down a hallway. I was dimly lit by ambient blue lighting and the shadows were heavy and deep. There was a railing on either side so that no one could walk besides you. As you walked down the hallway, the only thing besides you were piles and piles of shoes. Just shoes. All different styles, in colors from brown to black to red. Most were adult size, but some were small, others tiny. You couldn't ignore these memories. They were everywhere and the space almost called for you to take your time and walk slowly. You could feel something there. It was a silent call, a pull, a tug. Something begging to be remembered, not forgotten and tossed away like so many piles of shoes. The Force can fill our lives with peace, joy, love, and harmony if we recognize it and let it in. However, it will also root us in our past, as the Force knows no time. It wants us to remember, to feel, and to know. In that hallway, the Force was heavy with the presence of the victims of the worst humanity, and perhaps existence, has to offer. But it was not a negative energy. It did not push you down. Certainly, there was a great grief and sadness. That was natural for anyone. But greater than that was the pull from the Force. It called to remember. It called that there was hope. It called and said "You are greater than this. Remember that." From our darkest hours, we can have hope, and light a fire. There is no Death, there is the Force.
    • Can a force senstive person train themselves (Last post by RyuJin)
    • a person can train them self to do anything, however this usually involves loads of trial and error...having the benefit of someone else's guidance saves on time but also can rob us of the experience gained by failing if the guide doesn't allow us to make mistakes and fail...
    • Interesting volunteering orientated questions (ope... (Last post by Vusuki)
    • Hi there everyone, Last night I had the pleasure of attending my first evening of volunteer training course. Part of what made it so enjoyable was the questions and discussions between the volunteers springing from those questions about vulnerability and helping people. And so I wanted to share the questions with you here (and some of the answers we came up with) :) I'll put the answers in spoilers so that if you'd like you can give the questions a shot yourselves (and I'd reccomend doing so because that'll be more enriching for you). Please share your answers here as well for other people to see, :) Questions 1) What makes someone vulnerable? 2) What is the opposite of vulnerability? 3) What makes someone the opposite of vulnerable? This following spoiler contains the answer we agreed on in case you'd like some assistance? Spoiler: Resilient? (If you've another idea or word let us know in your answer. 4) How do we help/support people / What's our role? Answers, Spoiler: These are simply the key words that we came up with but fairly wide ranging 1) What makes some vulnerable? Spoiler: Lack of knowledge Lack of family or friends Bad life choices Bad judgement Bad fortune Loss of partner or situation Negative Spiral Disability addiction Out of comfort wone (too far outside of) Loneliness Abuse/Events/Environnement Own behaviour Lack of purpose, status, self-worth Of these, I'd like to highlight the three words that sum this all up for me: Loss, Lack, and Attitude 2) What's the opposite of vulnerability? Spoiler: Resilience 3) What makes someone the opposite of vulnerable? Spoiler: Or resilient? Spoiler: Confidence Self-worth Bouncing Back Experience Perspective Strategies Pattern-changing Survival Thinking differently Thriving Learning Inner Strength Resolution Opportunities Multiple ressources Solution focus (as opposed to problem focus) Role+Status Acceptance Probelm-solving skills Being flexible / vulnerable People / Relationships Making mistakes Life + Pain Action Owning it 4) How do we help/support people / What's our role? Spoiler: We did this as a table of what to do and what not to do, so... YES NO Create Relationship /Trust Counselling (we're not professional or here truly for that) Fresh pair of eyes/ears Bringing your own issues Safe space Pity/ Sympathy Encouraging Advice Assessment AND not negative judgement Signposting Pyschotherapy Open-mindfulness Accepting Focusing on Positive Past/Future Bonundaries Meeting them as an equal So there you go! I hope you enjoyed thinking about that, and I look forward to reading what you write! :D Have a nice day folks

There are 77 visitors, one guest and 21 members online (none in chat): Akkarin, bassbt3475, Adder, DanWerts, Proteus, Lykeios, Llama Su, Edan, tzb, GalUnDrux, Atticus, Tellahane, Hyrum Tigerprice, JLSpinner, Ke JinnDakken, MadHatter, x57z12, Albekl, Arisaig, Jaxz, Rubicon.

Follow Us