Way Of Sorrows

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Way Of Sorrows 23 Mar 2008 01:32 #12777

• Yoda
  • ID: 908
The Stations of the Cross (or Way of the Cross ; in Latin , Via Crucis ; also called the Via Dolorosa or Way of Sorrows , or simply, The Way ) refers to the depiction of the final hours (or Passion ) of Jesus , and the devotion commemorating the Passion. The tradition as chapel devotion began with St. Francis of Assisi and extended throughout the Roman Catholic Church in the medieval period. It is less often observed in Anglicanism , and Lutheranism as well. It may be done at any time, but is most commonly done during the Season of Lent , especially on Good Friday and on Friday evenings during Lent . On Good Friday 1991, Pope John Paul II introduced a new form of devotion, called the Scriptural Way of the Cross which calls for more meditation. He celebrated that thereafter at the Colosseum The object of the Stations is to help the faithful to make a spiritual pilgrimage of prayer, through meditating upon the chief scenes of Christ's sufferings and death. It has become one of the most popular devotions for Roman Catholics, as well as featuring in the worship and devotion of other Christian denominations . In the Roman Catholic tradition, the meditation is often performed in a spirit of reparation for the sufferings and insults that Jesus endured during His Passion. In his encyclical Miserentissimus Redemptor on reparations, Pope Pius XI called Acts of Reparation to Jesus Christ a duty for Catholics and refered to them as \" some sort of compensation to be rendered for the injury \" with respect to the sufferings of Jesus. Pope John Paul II referred to Acts of Reparation as the \" unceasing effort to stand beside the endless crosses on which the Son of God continues to be crucified \". The Stations themselves are usually a series of 14* pictures or sculptures depicting the following scenes: Jesus is condemned to death Jesus receives the cross Jesus falls the first time Jesus meets His Mother Simon of Cyrene carries the cross Veronica wipes Jesus' face with her veil Jesus falls the second time Jesus meets the daughters of Jerusalem Jesus falls the third time Jesus is stripped of His garments Crucifixion : Jesus is nailed to the cross Jesus dies on the cross Jesus' body is removed from the cross ( Pieta ) Jesus is laid in the tomb and covered in incense. Pope John Paul II created a version, for the Roman Catholic Church, in which all of the Stations were taken from Scripture known as the Scriptural Way of the Cross . It was first publicly celebrated by Pope John Paul II on Good Friday 1991 in the Coliseum in Rome . In 2007, Pope Benedict XVI approved this set of stations for meditation and public celebration: They follow this sequence: Jesus in the Garden of Olives, Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested, Jesus is condemned by the Sanhedrin, Jesus is denied by Peter, Jesus is judged by Pilate, Jesus is scourged and crowned with thorns, Jesus takes up his cross, Jesus is helped by Simon to carry his cross, Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem, Jesus is crucified, Jesus promises his kingdom to the good thief, Jesus and his mother and disciple, Jesus dies on the cross, Jesus is laid in the tomb. In the Roman Catholic Church, Pope John Paul II led an annual public prayer of the Stations of the Cross at the Roman Colosseum on Good Friday. Originally, the Pope himself carried the cross from station to station, but in his last years, he presided over the celebration from a stage on the Palatine Hill , while others carried the cross. Just days prior to his death in 2005, Pope John Paul II observed the Stations of the Cross from his private chapel in the Vatican . Each year a different person is invited to write the meditation texts for the Stations. Past composers of the Papal Stations include several non-Catholics. The Holy Father himself wrote the texts for the Jubilee year 2000 and used the traditional Stations. The celebration of the Stations of the Cross is especially common on the Fridays of Lent, especially Good Friday. Community celebrations are usually accompanied by various songs and prayers. Particularly common as musical accompaniment is the sequence Stabat Mater Dolorosa . At the end of each station, the Adoramus Te is sometimes sung. The Alleluia is also sung; however, that holy word is buried during Lent. Structurally, Mel Gibson 's 2004 film, The Passion of Christ , follows the Stations of the Cross. The fourteenth and last station, the Burial, is not prominently depicted (compared to the other thirteen) but it is implied since the last shot before credit titles is Jesus resurrected and about to leave the tomb.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Techwear for Jedi (Last post by Khaos)
    • They haven't come far enough for you to wear. Why, the ones I have seen lately are so compact and unobtrusive so that you don't even notice them if your shirts not tucked,but they hold quite a bit. I use one all the time. I don't need something so big as a back pack or messenger bag,and I like to have my hands free.
    • WW III (Last post by Omhu Cuspor)
    • Quote: Is War Over? — A Paradox Explained This is a marvelously hopeful perspective, Cayce, and one which as far as I can tell is freshly original. I intend to soak it in. Thanks for sharing this video. It is profound enough that I feel like going silent on this topic now; I don't know how I could add anything more worthwhile.
    • Strength (Last post by RyuJin)
    • no worries, i wouldn't consider adding clarity to be a derailment... i have a bad habit of being too blunt and not cryptic enough....sometimes the cryptic approach is better as it allows for more introspection, this is something i tend to forget on occasion, a side effect of constantly working with people that aren't wise/keen enough to figure out the cryptic stuff....you know, the kind of people that need things spelled out completely....it's why i enjoy the time i'm at totjo so much....
    • The Force as described by a physicist? (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • haber was also of jewish decent - i didnt know anyof that, thank you when you say "most often its the people with their religons and their myths [who do the stabbing] i could just as easily say "its usually people with their shoes and hair who do the stabbing"or "people with legs and arms" yes of course you can say most of the people who have commited violence throughout history have been devotees of some or other religion, for no other reason because more people historically have been religious than not (although my view is that we are all religious however thats not important atm) this is not to say that religion was the cause of the violence much as people like to believe that the all of the worlds savagery is attributable to religious fanaticism, HISTORY does not bear this out it has happened, certainly, but if we put together a list of every war and conquest and genocide and every invasion and every enslavement and occupation ever recorded in the annals of history you will find VERY FEW of them were to prove any particular religion was right most of them, DARN NEAR all of them, were about AQUISITION, specifically; of wealth and power via resources and land and authority or influence this includes even the churches sponsorship of the decimation of indigenous peoples of the americas and then the general trend of indigenous conquest wherever such people were found, the original call to the first "holy" crusade, the north ireland conflict, and the 911 attacks all of these events are commonly "blamed" on religion in a few cases there was sponsorship and blatant endorsement by the religious institution/s, and certainly religious language was used in most or all of them, but with each, when you scratch the surface and you say "why did this REALLY happen?" you find that the issues i named above are always the actual reason there have been instances of war and conquest that were really about spreading the religion, but they are rare a more appropriate word would be IDEOLOGY, and thats certainly lead to a lot of deaths, but that is distinct from religion proper mostly however these events are clearly about one or another manifestation of radical greed and what does religion say about valuing wealth over life, aka radical greed? that its desctructive and sinful and the consequence is hell well YEAH, thats actually right and i say this too, at least with religiously motivated conquest there is a place for "good guys" a "chosen" collective who you dont destroy because THEY are YOU there is some semblance of value for SOME life (which is not to justify it or make it ok, thats not my position) but when you throw religion completely out the window, and im looking specifically to the idiological movements of communistic regimes, where we have ample precedent and documentation, man, EVERYONE is eligible for extermination! if you BLINK its off to the gulags or the lime pits, or whatever HELL - HOLE they use in the given locality and hey, WHY NOT? i mean, its not like its WRONG or something
    • Today I felt lonely... (Last post by Rickie)
    • [/quote]I don't know how it works for others, but this chain reaction happens with me. I'm an Aspie, and because of that, I'm a Bipolar, and I don't like to feel lonely or empty, because it triggers a depressive state.[/quote] You do the best you can with what you got. Don't let the labels used by others limit you. Do you feel greater than the words use to describe you? Of course you do! You are great! Find your greatness. The power is yours. Embrace it! You are so much more than what you believe and others say. Bee great. Have fun.
    • "Jesus" was a Jedi (Last post by Lykeios)
    • Quote: Yeshua Ha' Mashiach or Yeshu Ben Yosef was a Jedi. :evil: por que He was. i've always believed this, and i may expound otra vez más tarde. Thank you. I cannot accept this. However, gracias.
    • Does "evil" exist? (Last post by Lykeios)
    • Quote: Some thoughts... What do you mean exist? Is evil a tangible entity? Can you hold evil in your hand? Then in that case it doesn't exist. But evil as an idea in our minds "exists". Evil is a judgement we can make about something. If someone holds up a pen and asks "what is this?" The reply they'll receive is "a pen". But what this person is holding isn't "pen", "pen" is a sound we attribute to the thing being held. Much like evil. Does language exist? Sure we can make sounds, but language is a concept, a modelling of sounds into a particular order. Does the United Kingdom exist? Can you go out and touch it? I can touch the ground "owned" by the United Kingdom, but if I get out my microscope and look really hard all I find is dirt, where is this United Kingdom people speak of? Here's an interesting question: Why do humans run the world? *spoiler alert* Because we cooperate flexibly in vast numbers, but what is it about us that allows us to cooperate in large numbers (some insects do, but not flexibly) and not, say, chimpanzees? "We can cooperate with numerous strangers because we can invent fictional stories, spread them around, and convince millions of strangers to believe in them." Humans live in a world of rivers and trees, but we also live in a world of make-believe comprised of fictional entities like the United Kingdom, Morality and Money (a useless piece of paper or even just a number on a computer screen...). As Alex pointed out to me the Tao Te Ching begins with a pun: www.friesian.com/taote.htm Quote: Spoiler: And this is why I am a "Wolf." However, I am also a human being. It's reconciling the two that is the trick is it not? :) Thank you Akkarin. I skimmed the full message that's why I deleted the bottom portion. Not to mention I didn't want to have my post be longer than yours with that much text in it. Haha.
    • I think people are falling for it (Last post by Dael Dhra)
    • Absolutely agree! I've read that the only power the government and those with the "power" would truly fear is all of us, uniting, and finally pointing the finger where it belongs...
    • Question of the Day (Last post by Reliah)
    • Do you have a favorite song? Do you remember the first time you heard it? Why is it your favorite?
    • Heaven, Hell, Re-incarnation? (Last post by Omhu Cuspor)
    • Quote: What do you belive happends after you leave your body /after death? What i belive is that heaven and hell does not exist, if it does it is something we create ourselves ... it would be a reflection of who you are What i belive is that you never die and that you don't go to an eternity of torture or heavenly pleasures depending on your choices in life, rather that you live on forever, as i see it, through the force. I believe much as you do, Bareus. I do not consider myself a Christian in the conventional, contemporary sense. Yet the phrase "God is love" from the New Testament is a pillar of my spiritual orientation. I cannot conceive of a loving deity that would condemn any sentient being of its creation to an eternal hell, even for a series of travesties committed throughout a lifetime. Most people who report near-death experiences describe them positively, but there are some who relate experiences that are dark and threatening. The Buddha also acknowledged the existence of hell-worlds, but in my understanding of Buddhism they are not inescapable - any more than oppressive experiences in this life are inescapable. It's conceivable to me that perhaps some of us undergo a painful experience in the afterlife as some sort of purging or severe teaching tool, but I do not believe it is eternal for anyone. A friend (now passed) expressed years ago his view of the afterlife which I sometimes consider. It's a half-serious, half-whimsical view: He stated his belief that the place we go when we leave Earthly life is aligned with our beliefs. A Christian may go to a place with pearled gates and golden roads. A virtuous young Muslim male appears in a harem with 72 virgins. A devout Buddhist is blissfully absorbed into the All. However, there are many people who adhere to no discrete faith whatsoever, and for them there is a default location -- downtown Los Angeles. :laugh:
    • The Thing All Women Do That You Don’t Know About (Last post by Omhu Cuspor)
    • Quote: ... a great deal of behaviour is learned from parents. My friends who are teachers tell me that children who say racist things, for example, often have parents who don't understand what the problem is, and have expressed similar opinions to their children. Often, women are strong inside, but they don't speak out because they know it makes no difference. We're brushed off, or made fun of, or told to 'stop being so sensitive' ... ... Some of my colleagues made a rape joke at work the other day, not to a woman funnily enough, and I had to shut it down because I don't know what experiences others in my office have had. A friend of mine was raped and she spoke of it to about to only two people because of shame, so jokes like that to her must cut deep. I agree heartily with all you've said. I am also dismayed at this tale of the rape "joke"; it takes a mountain of emotional numbness to express such a thing. If it means anything (or even if it doesn't I suppose), I regret that you have to endure this kind of thing as a woman.
    • How did you know when you were a Jedi? (Last post by CryojenX)
    • After some further reflection, I think it really started sinking in when I began regular meditation and started seeing positive results, but writing my first sermon really clinched it for me in the "no doubts" category. Before that I knew it's what I wanted, but I still kind of felt like maybe I wasn't good enough, but no more. I am a Jedi.

There are 566 visitors, 17 guests and 38 members online (2  in chat): Jestor, Connor L., Adder, LTK, Desolous, Reliah, Proteus, Rosalyn J, Metsu Desal, Khaos, Omhu Cuspor, KageKeeper, Archon, Kamizu, Kohadre, Senan, Zenchi, jamesjohnston1741, Cabur Senaar, Jeffery Williams, Slebo, Arkayik, MrBruno, Loudzoo, Atticus509, Xhaiden, Adi Vas, CryojenX, Tellahane, Athena_Undomiel, amitiel, yeltneb, gvangelista, Golan Wilder, Ke JinnDakken, Jack.Troutman, Cayce, Ajhena, Almeida, magmon, CianConan, McNulty, Colonial73, themoonspirits, Moimar, LemmyT, Anubis.

Follow Us