Hosting a Jedi Gathering

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 1 week ago #141589 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Hosting a Jedi Gathering
That's where my excatholic schtic comes in...

I always felt guilty not having an envelope to drop in the plate...

And, I'd just as soon not go, as feel guilty...

I don't want others to feel that way and stop coming....

We (TOTJO) have been accused of promoting only those who donate....

John used to to it all.. Money, PR, Membership stuff, site admin, all of it....

Slowly, the work is being spread...

And, right now, all of council is trying to.overlap with the parts that are not assigned...

When we have a finance officer, I will stay out of his/her way, mostly, lol....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 week ago #141591 by Wescli Wardest
Having a finance officer would be awesome... and I know that I do not want that job! :ohmy:

I have a hard enough time keeping my own books in the black! :whistle:

hahahhahahhahhahha :P :silly: :woohoo:

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #141593 by
Replied by on topic Hosting a Jedi Gathering
I've done it before. It's a most stressful job. Will not ever do it again. hahaha.

Jestor, maybe just keep all donations anonymous. :) Just a suggestion too. I understand the reason you wouldn't want it that way.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 1 week ago #141594 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Hosting a Jedi Gathering
Sure, except that no one has offered to take that from john, and held onto it...

So, john gets to deal with it, still...

And, none of us are experts, lol...

It is a crap job Wes, you are right...

Maybe I can find someone to do.my job, and ibwould do that job..

Lol....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 1 week ago #141596 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Hosting a Jedi Gathering
the filing is done by john anyway because he's the registered agent. We receive donations through one mean only: paypal. it calculates the balance for us and keeps a record of everything. We have a bank account so that we can pay for things with a credit/debit card, which is necessary for the server. Before, I used to pay for the server myself, and I'd charge totjo what it cost me, including VAT since I had to pay that. We managed to get exemption from VAT, by registering the server in totjo's name and opening up a bank account in the US. None of this is really difficult as we have no taxable income.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #141604 by

Jestor wrote:

Akkarin wrote:

Jestor wrote: Sigh...

*facepalm*

Lol....

Could you expand? lol

Well, lol, I feel that we are talking about how we are not at a point for a physical temple, and then you bring an idea about spending money we still dont have, on another thing... lol...

I just found it funny... Despairingly funny....

That's all...

The funny side of me want to ask about getting decoder rings for us all when we get money ahead... lol...

So, I put it out there, bit know I was going for laughs...:woohoo:...

Right, I get you Jestor :)

But as Connor was saying it might be good to have some kind of idea on what we might actually spend the money on. People at the moment are talking about donations so it might be good to have some idea of what exactly we might do with the money when we had it - and that it was a reasonably realistic goal.

As for the starving children Wescli, it has always been the position so far as I remember that TotJO is for Jedi things. If you want to donate to help starving children don't donate here, we don't spend our money on that, if you want to donate towards Jedi-like things then that's what we're for.

More
10 years 1 week ago #141606 by steamboat28

Akkarin wrote: As for the starving children Wescli, it has always been the position so far as I remember that TotJO is for Jedi things. If you want to donate to help starving children don't donate here, we don't spend our money on that, if you want to donate towards Jedi-like things then that's what we're for.

Except that religions have a responsibility to their membership just as members have a responsibility to their community.

More
10 years 1 week ago #141622 by Alethea Thompson
Every year I paid attention to the prices, they were always under $200 USD (per person). But I believe the one that Jax is planning in Colorado next year will be slightly over $200. I know that when everything started, the group use to camp out on a camping ground to reduce the price significantly. This also helped build the numbers for people attending, and the price per person is greatly dependent upon having the numbers to accomplish it. When I figured up the numbers last year, I planned on 20 people to attend. I had about 18, and I personally pitched in a little more (about 70) money for food (which it turned out we had an overabundance of for Breakfast and Lunch, those were meant to be buffets, while dinners were home cooked meals by my younger sister).

When I went looking last year for a place, I looked in the area I was wanting figured up the max amount of money I wanted to have everyone pay and multiplied it by the number of people I believed would come. Although the previous year there was 30ish people, I know that the majority of the time about 15 show up, so I added 5 more to see if I could buffer it. Knowing I only intended on 20, I determined $150 would be the max anyone would pay (after talking with veteran planners). About 50 of that would go towards food, which allowed me $2000 to rent. Then just went looking for places that were either under that amount or at that amount for the 4 day weekend.

That said, I have no idea what prices look like out there. But something I had toyed with was the idea of actually getting hotel rooms and renting a conference room to do classroom formatted workshops. The only reason that would not work out, is because this group likes to do a lot more in the way of physical activities. Given that everyone enjoys the sword classes, I elected to not go that route. But a place like ToTJO seems more intent on the classwork type things, so it's something that you might consider doing if it is more cost efficient.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
8 years 3 months ago #216362 by Lykeios Little Raven
I could host a gathering. Depends on where and when and if the gathering happens though.

Thank you for posting the topic Akkarin.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #216379 by

Lykeios wrote: I could host a gathering. Depends on where and when and if the gathering happens though.

Thank you for posting the topic Akkarin.

Well....Traditionally The Host is the one to decide all that XD

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi