My Problem with Religion

More
8 months 1 week ago #373944 by Streen
These are some thoughts I sent to a friend, a Christian, several weeks ago, and I felt like I should share them here.

It’s all bull. What’s on my mind is that I feel like I’ve been lied to most of my life. The Force? The Jedi? Christianity? Tao? Zen? God? How can I possibly know what is real, except to go by someone else’s word? Star Wars has been a poison. The Bible causes me more confusion than answers questions. The Tao Te Ching and Zen writings are all empty.

I wish I could describe properly what it is I've discovered. Some call it being awake. I see reality for the illusion that it is, and religion is by far the biggest lie invented. Have you ever thought that there may be something bigger than God? Or at least something bigger than the Christian view of God? I’ve seen it. It is beyond any words that I can use to describe size. It’s nothing and everything. But what is everything? That question in itself is too big to ask. Forget about the universe, or even a multiverse. What is beyond that?

It’s not that all religions are wrong, it’s that they all fall short. If you were to combine all the religions of the world like pieces of a puzzle, you’d barely have one piece. Our languages are too inferior to describe “the truth”. Remember how we used to call it “ “. That sort of comes close to what I’m talking about.

You’re more awake than most people I know. Your only problem is that you are still stuck in religiosity. If you were to think outside that box, you may begin to realize how shallow it all is. Of course, being awake is no treat. There’s an old very short story that goes…

The monks of a monastery heard that one of the students had achieved enlightenment. They rushed to speak with him.
“How do you feel?” they asked him.
“As miserable as ever.” He answered.

Of course, the lesson was just to warn fellow monks that being enlightened didn’t suddenly make all your problems go away. But in my own opinion, it can make being miserable easier.

It’s all nonsense. All of it. I don’t pretend to know what is true, but I’ve given up on the pursuit of truth. I’m not sure there is such a thing. Everything we’ve followed was man-made. I know that the Bible claims it was “written” by God and “penned” by man. But men are poor filters. The Bible, by the way, is one of very many holy books that claim to be divinely inspired.

Which is right? They all claim to be the one true story and all others are wrong. So how can anyone decide which one to follow?

The Bible is the most published book in the world, and yet there are dozens of translations, if not more. Which of these can we believe is the one true translation? But the reason it’s so popular is because it offers the easiest way to Heaven. Just believe Jesus died on the cross for your sins and you’ve got a ticket to paradise. But the other option is too terrible to think upon. Anyone who hasn’t accepted the gospel or had any opportunity to hear it burns in Hell for all eternity.

What kind of loving God is this? It’s sick. And if I can say that as a human being, how could an all-knowing God do something so heinous? Furthermore, why would God set up such a broken system in which ANYONE could ever face eternal torture? If he really loved us as his creation, he would have made us perfect, incapable of sin, and his only begotten son never would have needed to be born.

How is it that I can figure this out, but Christians can’t?

The truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, ZealotX

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago - 8 months 1 week ago #373948 by Carlos.Martinez3
Are you lying there awake, and writing your beautiful poetry?
I just can't sleep, and I am so tired, it's  closing  in on  nearly  three.
I know that the  words  will come out right, if this is  meant  to be.
I know that most the world's  asleep  now,  except  for you and me.
So I lay here awake, and  write  my poetry, for the  world  to see.
Each poem that we sit and write, will be  reviewed  so differently.
Staying  positive  in all that we do,  maintaining  our independancy.
Still  waiting  for the day, that our  souls  can be free for eternity.
This is my hope and my yearning, that our  souls  can be set free!

Excerpt  from a song by Elizabeth King 

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 8 months 1 week ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Coyote, khwang

More
8 months 1 week ago #373950 by The Coyote
Replied by The Coyote on topic My Problem with Religion
You pose some great questions Streen -

I have found many of the same faults in organized religions that you mention.

I would also challenge some of the ideas though, on all of the faith traditions you mention.

There would be some Christians that would say what you call Christianity is not truly "Christian" (there are too some traditions that are exactly what you say though, in fairness). There would be some Buddhists from different traditions that would say there are levels that haven't been reached in understanding (Though others would say that you've understood the point, you simply haven't realized it). Many following Jediism would say that the symbolism has led them to new forms of freedom and cleared them from to "poison" of other traditions they came from (Though, others have turned to other beliefs due to the same teachings).

True, many of the traditions have questionable ideologies, but perhaps there can be more to learn through them all.

It is a natural tendency to quickly reject things when we see flaws, but I find that often the most interesting lessons come when we try to understand the truths past the flaws in the different belief systems - when we look to further understand the people involved, both those who "understand" and those who don't "understand" the different traditions.

Sometimes, seeing more perspectives and understanding more people opens up new avenues to get closer to "the truth" (whatever that means).

My favorite question you pose though is "How can I possibly know what is real, except to go by someone else's word?"

Hmm... How could you? It's an awesome question that I think is worth pondering.

May The Force be with You, Ni-Kso-Ko-Wa, Always

Apprentice to Master Zanthan Storm

Constellation of Matriarch Neaj Pa Bol

Apprentice Holocron | Degree Journal | Degree Tracker | IP Journal

Coyote Shaking Thunder (Cody Dakota Wooten)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zanthan Storm, Carlos.Martinez3, khwang

More
8 months 1 week ago #373976 by khwang
Replied by khwang on topic My Problem with Religion
Hello Streen. First of all thank you for posting these thoughts. 
Although I am no Master of Jediism, and my journey as a Jedi has been fairly short compared to a lot of people here at TotJO, I still wanted to share some thoughts as I found your views to be of concern for a lot of people who have been religious or have studied religions before running into Jediism. Please know that the following is purely my personal opinion and thoughts from my journey of learning at the Temple.

I have been brought up in a Catholic school, although it was during my childhood and my memory is fuzzy about its teachings. It has never resonated with me despite going to church to try things out several times during different periods of my life. I simply found Christian mythology to be rather intersting, it has been more like a piece of fiction to me.

In your post you mentioned "...They all claim to be the one true story and all others are wrong..."

As I am not very familiar with all the religions in the world. I do hear that a lot of Christian churches convey the idea of following God's rules to enter heaven or go to hell. Jediism does not tell you what is right or wrong but rather emphasizes on finding YOUR OWN truth. Truth is a very ambiguous word and I understand the frustration you might be encountering when studying religious writings. Furthermore, I agree with you on the limitation of language. There is only so much our language can explain, and the only thing we, as well as people in the past, can do is to do our best to convey the meanings we try to share. For me, truth simply means my own reality. Teachings are generic, and we are the only ones that can decide what works for us and how to practice them in our lives to make the life we are in better. As Master Qui-Gon said: "Our focus determines our reality." We hold the power to shape our lives. As a Jedi, it is important to know our limitations, but also not let our thoughts become our own limitations.

Being aware certainly does not make your problems go away, but it gives you the power of choice. You can not exert the power of choice before being aware. And the Temple provides us many lessons not only to raise awareness but to fundamentally understand who we are and how our mind works. There are many practical tools in my Jedi journey that helped me bring balance in life and attract positivity. I have written in my lessons that I do not think Jediism is for everybody, because it is definitely not an easy path and some other reasons. But Jediism welcomes everyone of all backgrounds to find out who they are as a Jedi and thus be able to navigate this life going forward.

MTFBWY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Coyote

More
8 months 19 hours ago - 8 months 19 hours ago #374061 by Cornilion Seadragon
There's a lot here, and on some level I think I'm going to simply embrace the need to agree to disagree on some of your points. It's one of the things I'm quickly realizing I like about the Jedi path: the world is full of many, many viewpoints and we can (and should) respect those viewpoints even if we disagree with them, and take what lessons we can from them.

I do, however, want to at least challenge a few points (and highlight a few that I agree with).

But what is everything? That question in itself is too big to ask. Forget about the universe, or even a multiverse. What is beyond that?

From my perspective, what you've just described, that which is beyond the universe or even the multiverse, beyond all of it, is God. God is not alien hovering above the Earth interacting exclusively with us. He is that which is beyond everything. When asked what his name was my Moses, he responded "I am what I am" which was to say that He simply is. He isn't something within the universe, he is in a sense existence itself, the thing beyond any concept we can put to words. ("I am what I am" in Hebrew writing roughly transliterates into English as Yahweh, giving us that name). Perhaps that which you've discovered, that which is beyond everything, is God. I know it's not what you want to hear, but the way you describe what you've discovered is precisely how I would describe my understanding of God.

Your only problem is that you are still stuck in religiosity. If you were to think outside that box, you may begin to realize how shallow it all is.
Is it possible that you have this backwards? Is it possible that you are assuming your friend is limited by a viewpoint when it may be the opposite? Is it possible that just as you have come to a realization about some great truth of the universe, so has your friend? Perhaps your friend has just come to see a different piece of the puzzle than you have or realized details that put it all into a different paradigm than the details you've realized might do. While it is certainly true that many people following religion these days do so out of blind loyalty - often shaped by their parents more than any searching of their own - there are some religious people out there who are religious not because they were told to be are trapped by religion but because they've come to some greater realization that aligns with the views of that religion and the religion helps them better contextualize and process that realization they've come to, a way to make enlightenment a slightly less miserable experience.

The Bible causes me more confusion than answers questions.

I know that the Bible claims it was “written” by God and “penned” by man. But men are poor filters.

The Bible is the most published book in the world, and yet there are dozens of translations, if not more. Which of these can we believe is the one true translation?
I agree that humans make poor filters, and unfortunately this gets to the crux of many of your points, which is that much of modern religion is based on some great realization someone had in the past getting filtered through their own culture and experiences to become a difficult shadow of itself. In terms of understanding which translation to use, I had one teacher that had the perfect answer: none of the above. He had a Bible that was written in the original untranslated languages. Of course, he could also read each of those languages fluently and had spent his life studying the cultural context of the time periods the different parts of the Bible were written in, which isn't really an option for most of us. This feeds back to one of your first observations which is that the Bible causes confusion (which coincides with your sentiment that the Tao Te Ching and other Zen writings are empty). All of these texts were written thousands of years ago, in a foreign language no longer used today, filtered through not only a very different culture and the challenges of a very different time period but filtered through the inherent biases of the author. Because of that I think undertaking a study of any of these ancient texts really requires a guide who is truly well informed on that specific topic and can help filter out all the crud, bring out the meaning that might be lost in metaphor, and highlight the true nuggets of wisdom within them. These aren't things a lay person will be able to grasp without that deeper understanding of the culture, which is why I think we need guides: not to tell us what the answer are or what path we should be on, but to help us access the wisdom of the ages, to give us access to the observations of others before us who had made similar observations as we have that we can then build on instead of spending our time reinventing what they already figured out.

That in my view is the point of religion as a whole. You share some great of examples of religion not being so great. In some cases these are religions that have been warped by the cultural challenges that their fundamental texts were written in. In other cases they are warped by cultural challenges of modern leaders who wield religion like a weapon more than a tool.

Just believe Jesus died on the cross for your sins and you’ve got a ticket to paradise. But the other option is too terrible to think upon. Anyone who hasn’t accepted the gospel or had any opportunity to hear it burns in Hell for all eternity.

What kind of loving God is this? It’s sick. And if I can say that as a human being, how could an all-knowing God do something so heinous? Furthermore, why would God set up such a broken system in which ANYONE could ever face eternal torture? If he really loved us as his creation, he would have made us perfect, incapable of sin, and his only begotten son never would have needed to be born.
This does not mirror my understanding of Christian beliefs. First, one doesn't get a ticket to paradise just for believing in Jesus. It is still one's own choices that determine their future (a fundamental reality of life as much as a religious belief). It also is a fairly zealous perspective that anyone who hasn't accepted the Gospel is doomed to eternal torture. While some Christian leaders certainly have taught these notions, they are particularly zealous (and in my opinion incorrect) interpretations of the teachings of Christ, filtered again through the context of the time period and culture in which the Gospels were written. It may also be a very mild comfort to know that even the more zealous sects that teach this don't teach that those who haven't heard of the Gospel are similarly doomed to hell. The most extreme they get is to say that those who have been taught about Jesus and chose to reject Him would go to hell. Again, though, it's a fairly zealous interpretation that is not reflective of all Christian belief.

The idea that God would doom anyone to hell is in my opinion an artifact of obsessing over a few books that are again written within the context of the culture they were written in. My interpretation is that when people die, they have the chance to enter into a state of being fully connected with God (heaven), but can choose not to be (which would itself naturally be a torture), but that it is the person's choice to make. This all gets into a much deeper philosophical discussion on the true nature of sin (is it really some crime against God, or is it more just a choice that naturally hurts us and makes it harder to make good decisions). In many ways my personal issues with Christianity is similar to my issues with Star Wars: it has an unhealthy and unnecessary obsession with good vs. evil and the absoluteness between them.

They all claim to be the one true story and all others are wrong. So how can anyone decide which one to follow?
This is, as far as I'm aware, mostly a Christian phenomenon. Christians do indeed have a belief that they and only they have come to know the truth and that everyone else is wrong, and that Christians have a moral duty to share this truth with everyone they can. Most religions don't have such extreme and exclusive views. It's one of the reasons why Christianity has risen to such popularity and why Mormonism - an otherwise obscure sect that is the laughing stock of even Christians - has become so prominent: the focus on the moral imperative of forcing their truth upon as many people as they can. Most religions aren't this way. Some related religions (like Islam) do also have sects with this view, but it's mostly reserved to these religions that spawned from the middle east.

At the end of the day, it isn't my goal to change your mind (that seems like it would be an impossible task, plus I have nothing to gain by it), but your position is surprisingly absolute and seems to suggest that you believe you understand these religions better than the people who have spent their entire lives working to understand them, so I simply wanted to challenge a few of your assumptions since some of them are assumptions that I can personally attest to being incorrect, and invite you to seek out the wisdom in other perspectives even if you don't agree with them. Also, it's worth noting that just because some organized religions (ok, most organized religions) have structured themselves in a way that is problematic, forcing people onto a specific path and often hurting not only the people on their path but the rest of society as well, doesn't mean that religion on its own is inherently bad or that all religions are bad. At the end of the day, they are a way for people who have come to a realization to share that with others and to learn from others who have come to the same realization they have so they can expedite or better follow their own path.

I know it is difficult to see past flaws, especially glaring flaws that you can't unsee, but there can be a lot of wisdom even in things you disagree with. I'm going through that myself as I go through the Joseph Campbell interviews. I detest Joseph Campbell, probably as much as you detest religion. Still, I can accept that even a broken clock is right twice a day and anyone who has spent their life studying something or any group that has studied something for thousands of years is bound to have found some nuggets of wisdom over that time that are worth learning.

You are of course welcome to disagree with me on some or all of what I've said. I just wanted to challenge your absolute views and highlight that maybe not everything is exactly as it seems. At the end of the day, you of course need to walk your path. I'll end with a final quote from your letter:

How can I possibly know what is real, except to go by someone else’s word?
My answer to this is: by not just going by someone else's word. Ask your own questions, as you have done here. Ask experts when you have questions on a subject that they have a deeper understanding of, let them guide you through the realms they know well, but at the end you'll have to decide what you take from them, and walk your own path.

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Though I disagree with many of your sentiments and observations (and the points I disagree with occupied the bulk of my response), there are some observations you made that I very much agree with and even the things I disagree with I appreciate you sharing and entertaining a respectful conversation about. They are topics that get to a deep truth about who we are and we function in the world and within ourselves. It may be obvious by this point, but the filter that my perspective goes through is that I am Christian (Catholic), and also consider myself a Jedi (though still very, very early in the formal process of that). To me Jediism is more than just a path, it is religious belief. I do believe in the Force as a very real thing. It isn't really an organized religion (or at best a very loosely organized religion) but for me it is a religion. That being said, I do recognize that it is not a religion for everyone. For some, it seems that it is a path or a life philosophy more than a religious belief.
Last edit: 8 months 19 hours ago by Cornilion Seadragon. Reason: Removed double quote.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, khwang

More
6 months 4 days ago #374596 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic My Problem with Religion
Streen, thank you for one of the best thread topics I've run across. Minds like yours are why I'm here. 

My first instinct was simply to nod in agreement but let me go a bit further.

"It’s all bull."

Let me slightly rephrase that by saying, "It's all FICTION".  Well, almost.

Fiction and Non-Fiction are two halfs to the larger concept of language and communication. The thing I love most about a Star Wars inspired religion is that there is no confusion about whether or not the source material is real. It is my belief after years of studying religion and mythology that before we came up with separate words like "religion and spirituality" which is based on probably more Western ideological methods of dissecting things to gain understanding... our ancient ancestors taught science using fictional concepts. The science was the thing that was real, but the story surrounded the concept in myth that could inspire generations to not only learn that concept more thoroughly (by giving the concept a larger ocean to play in with other concepts), but also carry that information to new generations by sharing stories. This is kind of where I can hear the voice of Joseph Campbell wanting to chime in. I'm sure he'd agree. If the stories aren't interesting they wont be shared. Why does Usopp (One Piece) constantly exaggerate his own story? To get people to share it.

The Christian equivalent to this is the parable. We know call them such but is every parable preceeded by "This is a parable."? No. We infer that it is and therefore there's no journalistic need to critically analyze whether there was an actual sower, or who was it whose son left home with his inheritance, or who lost a coin or whose wedding was it that the young women attended. These things are 'literally' NOT IMPORTANT.

Star Wars does a great job of creating an interesting narrative, driven by conflict, that incorporates these living parables. Every Jedi, every Sith, and the struggles between them, each is its own living parable. Each one has a spirit... a way of thinking/being... that can be absorbed. Our ability to absorb these deeper story elements, these concepts... these not-so-self-evident truths... that's what tends to separate spirituality from religion. Right? And that's why religious people (meaning those who are more religious than spiritual) are typically those who have the hardest time grasping the inner quality... the inner understanding that is the spirit of the things they are being taught. And religious practices are repetitions meant to push it deeper into their hearts/minds and into their subconscious/conscious so that they can do it and change their very nature without conscious thought.

So is it bull? Of course, it is! But "bull" was once food to the bull. Some of it the bull was able to use. Some of it the bull was unable to digest. That's how every story is. We mentally consume these stories for the nutrients they contain. Now if a person can't get the nutrients out then all they know is the story and what they're reacting to is the promised benefits that come from them doing whatever surface thing the story told them to do as interpreted by their teachers (who are also at different levels of religious programming, understanding, and enlightenment. And for many it's just a job that allows them to give people pep talks and guidance). So if those people are treating others better out of fear of going to hell... that's the level they're on. However, that's not at all what the NT is about (coming from a devout Atheist lol). The spirit of the entire bible can be summed up by 1 John 3. The spirituality of the entire bible was meant to produce "children of God". This was a concept that is mostly lost on religious Christians because they couldn't help but to take the concept literally. 

Therefore Adam was the son who squandered his inheritance. Is this a singular person? The first man? NO. Adam is actually the Hebrew name for humanity.

Again... the ancestral teachers used the concept of gods in order to teach different concepts, especially scientific ones like how the earth was created (not by a person but rather in phases). So if you start taking the symbols literally you're going to eventually hit a ceiling in your understanding. And people just assume there is no ceiling there because they're assuming that what they see is the whole truth (there's not really anything that tells them when they're still lacking). Yeshua (JC) addresses this when he spoke of spiritual blindness. Many people wanted to see him as a "son of God" and then eventually "God the son" because they didn't understand the concept of what that was supposed to mean. And they weren't being taught by the people who understood it so the problem was compounded. But it's right there real clear in 1 John 3, showing that the author did understand the symbolism was about righteousness.

If God represents "Love/Goodness/Perfection/etc" then logically that's how children of God would also behave. And if we all behaved that way the world would change to reflect those same qualities. This is how Jedi view changing the world by changing ourselves. But if we act and represent the opposite then we're going to want to kill each other which is the same as being suicidal as a species. It's the same as us creating our own hell. And hell is symbolic of the grave. And that's why death was always connected to unrighteousness/sin in the bible. It's not so much about being worthy of death but rather being able to sustain life. And that eternal life or eternal torture is not what the individual human experiences. It's what our SPECIES experiences. It's what Adam experiences. Do you see?

That isn't simply a foreign story. It is our current reality simply viewed from a different point of view. By experiencing different points of view and philosophies we can find greater truth. But if we imagine that one of these views IS that greater truth then that is where we will naturally stop and we can only know "the truth" according to that particular view. And that's like looking at the entire planet with only one pair of eyes. You can never see the whole picture that way.

More
6 months 4 days ago #374600 by ZealotX
"What kind of loving God is this? It’s sick. And if I can say that as a human being, how could an all-knowing God do something so heinous? Furthermore, why would God set up such a broken system in which ANYONE could ever face eternal torture?"

Anything written by a human is a reflection of that human because a human can only output what is first input. In other words, humans evolved both mentally and socially and this had to be reflected in the writing. Everything we produced was a reflection of our inspirations. Just as we are inspired by modern myths, the bible writers were also inspired by myths and legends passed around in ancient times which formed their culture just as it helps to form ours. So it's not even so much as they created a flood myth but rather that they were inspired by the Epic of Gilgamesh and had to change the story to fit the God they also created. At this point, I would argue that the writers didn't believe these myths were real either. And anyone who says "God told me..." I think either they believe God is speaking through their conscience or they know there is no god a so that leaves the door open for them to make up a story. But you can't make up a story and believe it at the same time because you know it came from your imagination.

The imagination is very powerful. It can construct worlds. It can conceive of hell and therefore hell exists in the minds of all those who fear it. And that alone, is a psychological science that a person, if aware of it, would be able to manipulate by pushing that idea inside a story. For Jews, the Satan figure, isn't the demon monster that Christians believe in. The Hebrew word satan just means adversary so they used the same word for human adversaries; like foreign kings who wanted the land they stole. So for Jews, the satan is more of a prosecutor in God's court of righteousness. Christians believe so strongly in the literal interpretation that they imagine satan has metaphsyical powers to tempt and influence human behavior. 

But human behavior isn't influenced by... but rather blamed on. Someone who is drinking alcohol is imbibing "spirits". And getting drunk lowers your inhibition so the part of you that says "No, I can't do that." that voice becomes smaller and smaller until easily ignored or not heard at all. The angel on one shoulder and devil on the other is just an artistic expression of the mind and its inherent dichotomy in making decisions. Making decisions between right and wrong is a conflict of positive and negative thoughts, selfish and selfless, etc. The more a person chooses negativity the more negativity they become capable of because the voice doesn't grow louder but their deafness or sensitivity to those voices is slightly changed. So if a person kills, a part of them killed by the act of killing; a part that says killing is wrong and you shouldn't do it.

So in our heads, there is a war between good and evil that is acted out and expressed through the actions of our body. Everything first happens in mind. And that is the setting of Spirituality. It is the war for the mind. If the mind is in hell then the mind is "possessed" bit by bit; an infection of malevolent ideas and concepts, based on "knowing". One doesn't just cross over to the "dark side". One explores it. It's a path. But it is a path that leads to hell. The consequences of taking power or desires this way is that in the dark you cannot see where the things you're taking come from and what the consequences are because that voice is being slowly suffocated. In the end, a person is consumed by the darkness such that they lack the empathy that would normally keep them from hurting people. And so people start to see them as demons and the story of demon possession spreads.

If I were an alien who came from a peaceful world I wouldn't land my ship because from a safe distance I would see humanity killing itself with war, violence, mass shootings, guns everywhere to kill or protect people from other people everywhere with guns, slavery/human trafficking, elder abuse, molestation, etc. While Christians wait for hell, we're like the frog in the pot that has no clue how hot the water is because we grow more cold-blooded as to be immune to the pain of the rising temperature. We're already in hell because that's the world we are creating.

However, hell is also a mental place and so is heaven. Yea though I walk in the valley of the shadow of death... I don't fear death because my focus is on being alive and the positive things I can do with that life. I don't hate life because of the things I don't have because I'm happy with and grateful for the things I do have. I don't have the people around me because I focus on the people around me who I love. When a person masters being positive then heaven is a place they take with them wherever they go and they can spread a piece of heaven to other people. When we understand these things are mental constructs and the physical representation/symbols are only expressions of our mind's way of visualizing them (ie. Dante's Inferno), then we can go beyond the shallow waters that most religious people stay in for their own safety. But if you're being taught by people in the shallow water who take everything literally it makes it harder to see the deep water in the horizon. And I'm not saying that every religion is deep.

Every religion revolves around a person who made it further from the shore than his peers and that's why their words were valuable. But we often assume that those people found the edge of the world and there is nothing after that. But no, it's a sphere. Many of us imagine that an all-knowing God knows what's over the horizon. Some of us simply keep sailing because we understand that everything God knows is a reflection of what we, on our own boats, discover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: skyman

More
6 months 4 days ago #374601 by Zanthan Storm
Religion is a dangerous thing. As certain religions, including Christianity, hold what they call, "Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven." Meaning that unless you follow them, you will never reach the "good" afterlife. 

Most organizations see power in this. There is no ONE way, in my opinion. While belief systems give us a great basis in morality and ethics, it should be meant as something that is an introduction. The ownus is on each person to find their own morality and code of ethics. 

As we go through our lives, our beliefs will be challenged. Our ethics and morals will be challenged. It is in the end our choice to use our religion to back those up, or if we are swayed. 

Zanthan Storm
AKA Rev. Michael Ziskovsky OCP D.Div.

Master Knight of Jediism
Founder of Roseville, MN Chapter of TOTJO

Current Apprentice: The Coyote
Past Master: GM Neaj Pa Bol
Past Apprentices: Sr. Knight Kira, Knight Myos, Doriann

"Let no one thing control your life, seek to be complete and at peace."
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Coyote

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #374786 by ZealotX
It is dangerous. Most tools are dangerous. Depends on the intent of the hands. But part of that danger is the power and this is something that grows over time. Humans are attracted to power. Humans are influenced by power. Humans are corrupted by power.

It sounds very good to say "thou shalt not steal" but the fact is that "stealing" already existed in their language when this was said. Otherwise, it would have needed to be defined. So I would submit to you that religion doesn't teach morals and values the way we think it does. It just capitalizes on what we already know in order to have power.

When the bible said "Don't do X", it wasn't new. There were people who did X and people who did not do X. How would the people who didn't do X be able to stop the people doing X? They had to create a means to judge them. And in their minds, one was right and one was wrong so if they got rid of those people then they could have a better society. But while you can judge without higher authority you can't mete out some kind of punishment without higher authority. Therefore, I would submit that God was a means of punishing X. And as an added benefit, anyone who believed in this God would automatically agree that X is wrong because 'he' said so. So not only did they invent a way to punish X but also a means to validate their own position that X is wrong by ascribing that position to a higher authority.

They then established this "fear of God" as making people afraid to do X because of some kind of earthly or eternal punishment. This enabled them to have more control over society which, in turn, attracts more people to that power. But again... it never established X was wrong. It played on ideas people already had.

Religion is a dangerous thing. As certain religions, including Christianity, hold what they call, "Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven." Meaning that unless you follow them, you will never reach the "good" afterlife. 

Most organizations see power in this. There is no ONE way, in my opinion. While belief systems give us a great basis in morality and ethics, it should be meant as something that is an introduction. The ownus is on each person to find their own morality and code of ethics. 

As we go through our lives, our beliefs will be challenged. Our ethics and morals will be challenged. It is in the end our choice to use our religion to back those up, or if we are swayed. 

More
4 months 1 week ago #375106 by Streen
Replied by Streen on topic My Problem with Religion
Thank you for your responses.  I know it's been a while since I wrote that original post.  I was rather angry at the time.  Certain things have changed in my life that have calmed me down, though my view of religion has stayed the same.

The truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Serenity Amyntas, The Coyote, khwang, Cornilion Seadragon

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi