New addition to the Jedi creed

• Whyte Horse
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Inactive
  • Do not try to understand me... rather realize there is no me.
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #373834 by Whyte Horse
Call me American but I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees. "Prefiero morir de pie que vivir de rodillas". This should be added to the creed, if you ask me.The phrase in Spanish means "I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." It's a quote attributed to the Mexican revolutionary Emiliano Zapata.The phrase expresses the idea of preferring to die fighting for freedom and justice, rather than live a life under submission and oppression. Zapata was a peasant leader who fought in the Mexican Revolution for peasants' rights and agrarian reform.The deeper meaning of the phrase is that it is better to die with dignity defending your ideals, than to live a life without values or freedom. It represents the spirit of rebellion and struggle against oppression. It's a phrase that calls for putting one's own principles before survival, if it implies giving up or betraying oneself.It has become an emblematic quote about rebellion and resistance, conveying the importance of fighting for justice and not bending to tyranny. It's a very popular phrase in Latin America, frequently used in contexts of social and political protest.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #373837 by Carlos.Martinez3
You said to call you an American so, hello American. I am American too. I like the ZEAL of the warrior. As a metaphor and symbol, we use the Knight. In our own doctrine, we have ideas we unite under. One of them is the idea of RECIPROCITY.
" The ethic of reciprocity is a social norm that expects people to respond to each other in similar ways."
When we find hills or idea to die for, we are full of Zeal. It can be noted that our zeal can be manipulated. See Revenge of the Sith or any Star Wars really. When we reach a point of wanting to harm or death seems to be the only way out... I call a time out.
****AUDIBLE
It's a football term in which the coach can change strategies instantly to what is present.

Death is usually not the ONLY answer. I would see it as a last resort but then, as humans with the human potential dwelling in us all, death is never the end of anything really. What happens to people who out manner or out class everyone? What happens when you stand alone, and everyone is against you, or it would seem that way? Why fight all the time? Is there another way to live besides conflict?

4. Jedi are wary of attachments, both material and personal. The obsession over possessions and people creates the fear of losing those possessions and relationships which can cause ourselves to be trapped in a state of depression and loss.

Be careful the hills we build to die on.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Locksley, The Coyote, Asakura Shoji

More
8 months 1 week ago #373947 by Streen

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." 
I couldn't agree more.  It reminds me of something I read in the book of the Samurai.  Even when they were on the verge of death, they could commit one final act to secure their victory.

The truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it.

• Whyte Horse
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Inactive
More
8 months 2 days ago #374017 by Whyte Horse

You said to call you an American so, hello American. I am American too. I like the ZEAL of the warrior. As a metaphor and symbol, we use the Knight. In our own doctrine, we have ideas we unite under. One of them is the idea of RECIPROCITY.
" The ethic of reciprocity is a social norm that expects people to respond to each other in similar ways."
When we find hills or idea to die for, we are full of Zeal. It can be noted that our zeal can be manipulated. See Revenge of the Sith or any Star Wars really. When we reach a point of wanting to harm or death seems to be the only way out... I call a time out.
****AUDIBLE
It's a football term in which the coach can change strategies instantly to what is present.

Death is usually not the ONLY answer. I would see it as a last resort but then, as humans with the human potential dwelling in us all, death is never the end of anything really. What happens to people who out manner or out class everyone? What happens when you stand alone, and everyone is against you, or it would seem that way? Why fight all the time? Is there another way to live besides conflict?

4. Jedi are wary of attachments, both material and personal. The obsession over possessions and people creates the fear of losing those possessions and relationships which can cause ourselves to be trapped in a state of depression and loss.

Be careful the hills we build to die on.

I think you meant this one from the 21 maxims:Courage: To have the will.To be a Jedi sometimes means choosing the more difficult path, the personally expensive one. A Jedi knows they must make the right choice, take the right side and that the weak they have sworn to defend often stand alone.  A Jedi puts aside fear, regret, and uncertainty yet knows the difference between courage and sheer stupidity.

It's hard to say whether creed or maxims are the appropriate place to enter the principle of "don't be stupid" and "be willing to die for something". Really, if you're not willing to die for something, you can't live for anything.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

• Whyte Horse
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Inactive
More
8 months 2 days ago #374018 by Whyte Horse

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." 
I couldn't agree more.  It reminds me of something I read in the book of the Samurai.  Even when they were on the verge of death, they could commit one final act to secure their victory.

Good point.

More
8 months 18 hours ago #374058 by Cornilion Seadragon
I know the OP was banned so this might be a moot conversation, but I thought it was an interesting one either way.

On its own without historical context, the phrase "I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees" seems to actually contradict the message of the creed to me. The creed is all about being humble and serving the needs of others. On the other hand, put in context of not sacrificing your principles, or perhaps better put not choosing inaction purely out of fear for oneself, I do see it aligning well with other principles. I think, as others pointed out, it's already built in to other aspects of the doctrine such as the maxims. Either way, the phrase itself is interesting because its meaning could be very different depending on how it is interpreted. When I first read it, I interpreted as the opposite of humility, as picking a fight even when it is not necessary or beneficial. On the other hand (and in the interest of reciprocity) looking at it through the lens of not backing away from a fight that does need to be fought purely out of fear is an important principle.

Mostly I'm just adding that my initial knee jerk reaction to the phrase before reading the historical context was very different, and I think that initial reaction adds a new dimension to the conversation.

Regardless, it probably doesn't need to be added into the creed as the principles are already in the maxims, still an interesting discussion topic.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi