What would you expect from a knight and apprentice?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #201230 by
I'm just wondering what other people expect from a Knight and what knights expect from their apprentices?

Do you expect regular contact?
Do you expect to be able to physically see them?

Personally I expect regular contact (at least twice a week) and I would like to be able to physically see them once in a while but I don't require it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #201232 by TheDude
I only expect them to educate me at a pace that they feel comfortable with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

More
8 years 8 months ago #201235 by Loudzoo
Hi Metsu - you might well agree with my opinion that there's no such thing as a standard 'knight / apprentice' relationship. As far as I can see they're all different :)

I don't expect anything in particular from my apprenticeship. There has been plenty of learning but often lessons don't come in the form you can predict or expect (from either the perspective of the apprentice or the Knight) - and for me that's what makes an apprenticeship dynamic and most relevant.

Having said that - your expectations don't sound the slightest bit onerous or outrageous. Proteus and I are probably in contact every few days and Skype video calls are great for being able to see each other face to face - even if you happen to live on different continents. Its not always possible to physically meet and I imagine the majority of apprenticeships complete perfectly well without that interaction.

I might even go so far as to say that if the apprenticeship completes in the manner that you expected then it probably hasn't been the most effective apprenticeship ;)

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Proteus, Ben, , Edan, Breeze el Tierno

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #201242 by

Loudzoo wrote: Hi Metsu - you might well agree with my opinion that there's no such thing as a standard 'knight / apprentice' relationship. As far as I can see they're all different :)

I don't expect anything in particular from my apprenticeship. There has been plenty of learning but often lessons don't come in the form you can predict or expect (from either the perspective of the apprentice or the Knight) - and for me that's what makes an apprenticeship dynamic and most relevant.

Having said that - your expectations don't sound the slightest bit onerous or outrageous. Proteus and I are probably in contact every few days and Skype video calls are great for being able to see each other face to face - even if you happen to live on different continents. Its not always possible to physically meet and I imagine the majority of apprenticeships complete perfectly well without that interaction.

I might even go so far as to say that if the apprenticeship completes in the manner that you expected then it probably hasn't been the most effective apprenticeship ;)

I agree with you in regards to it going as you would expect, I also agree that there's no standard, my expectations aren't necessarily what I would hold other knights and apprentices to, ultimately my expectation of regular contact is really just something I would prefer rather than adamantly require.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #201251 by Jestor
Stuff like that should be ironed out if its a concern, I agree Metsu....

With my duties, sometimes I am out of reach, or just busy for a bit, and don't communicate for some reason...

So, I point out how there are times when my duties (online and off) keep me too busy to deal with "assignments", and I need a bit of "catch up" time to read and understand, as my.mind gets divided sometimes...

Not only styles, and such, but physical expectations as well... :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 8 months ago #201252 by Breeze el Tierno
Expectations are a sticky thing. I certainly had the general expectation that I would learn a great deal, that my perspective would be shifted, but I didn't have anything specific in mind. I suppose if I had a specific list of things I wanted to learn, I could just go find out on my own! :laugh:

With regard to the level of contact, that has entirely to do with whom you forge a Master/Apprentice bond. It is entirely possible that I will never see Alexandre Orion standing in front of me. That would be a great shame, but life is funny that way and the Atlantic is wide. Still, we are in regular contact.

At some point, I will have to consider whom I might take on as an Apprentice. Choosing a Master was, for me at least, much easier, much less daunting.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #201253 by
I think the communication and relationship between rider and apprentice relies heavily on each one, I never expected that my relationship with my maƮtresse was something so beautiful. For me, being learner, it was something that marked my life. Just do not expect anything from anyone, just do your best and everything will be great

More
8 years 8 months ago #201255 by Edan
I don't really expect anything except conversation... Goken and I talk... we both get something from it (I hope!).
Sometimes I will be busy, sometimes he will be busy.. but we'll get around to it :)

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #201256 by

Jestor wrote: Stuff like that should be ironed out if its a concern, I agree Metsu....

With my duties, sometimes I am out of reach, or just busy for a bit, and don't communicate for some reason...

So, I point out how there are times when my duties (online and off) keep me too busy to deal with "assignments", and I need a bit of "catch up" time to read and understand, as my.mind gets divided sometimes...

Not only styles, and such, but physical expectations as well... :)

Speaking of ;)

For me Expectations are dependent on the determined outcome. Here at the temple the determined outcome, to me, is the participation and interaction of it's members, learning from eachother, and having someone to speak to directly when you have need of communication. I don't expect anything more out of it. Most of the Knights here are way too far for us to meet up in person so asides from getting the next expected assignment and having a few conversations. I don't expect more than that.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #201257 by
I expect to be challenged to grow as a Jedi. My former master, Alan, always pushed me to do things that I weren't always my favorite thing to do but it was helping me understand some things. I don't think the amount of contact or being able to meet a teaching master is nearly as important as being challenged.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi