alternatives to Facebook?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #199030 by
Replied by on topic alternatives to Facebook?
Facebook is not targeting anyone specifically. It is deleting any and all fictitious accounts it discovers, as is stated in their terms of use and privacy policy. This went into effect in October of last year. The goal is to prevent people from creating fake accounts to "catfish" or con other users. It is also meant to prevent people from impersonating celebrities. It could also potentially cut down on advertising spam being posted by bots that are not real people.

Working at a radio station, I had to learn all about this because Facebook was threatening to delete pages owned by radio personalities who use their on-air names on Facebook rather than their real names. The only ways around it are to create a "fan page" that has different posting and sharing capabilities, or to have your user name officially verified by Facebook. You have to submit proof to them that the alternative name you are using still represents a real person and that you are not using the name to deceive anybody. It's a pain in the ass.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #199036 by Whyte Horse
FB makes money selling your personal data to the NSA, advertisers, politicians, hell anybody! If you want to use a fake name, you'll have to be creative. There is a nickname field. There are phone books with millions of real names to choose from. Also keep in mind the workers at FB who are deleting accounts are probably third world slave labourers and so they may have a hard time recognizing fictional names that aren't a part of pop culture. For example, R Daneel Olivaw is a robot in Asimov's fiction books, but most people wouldn't recognize it B)

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #199044 by

Goken wrote:

baru wrote: since FB seems to be targeting Jedi oriented user names, do you think its worth it to "push back" on FB for religious persecution?

Well is it targeting organization's names or individual people's names? I'm pretty sure that would be the line as far as if it could be pushed back against. Unless you could prove that having a Jedi name was required by your religion, I don't think it would go anywhere.

Actually it's been targeting Transgender and Pagan groups as well. Both of which use Special Names to better represent themselves and their beliefs. Not just Jedi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #199046 by

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Goken wrote:

baru wrote: since FB seems to be targeting Jedi oriented user names, do you think its worth it to "push back" on FB for religious persecution?

Well is it targeting organization's names or individual people's names? I'm pretty sure that would be the line as far as if it could be pushed back against. Unless you could prove that having a Jedi name was required by your religion, I don't think it would go anywhere.

Actually it's been targeting Transgender and Pagan groups as well. Both of which use Special Names to better represent themselves and their beliefs. Not just Jedi.

As a transgender pagan Jedi, I can vouch for this. Thankfully I had my legal name change a decade and a half ago.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #199058 by Tarran
Replied by Tarran on topic alternatives to Facebook?

Br. John wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Tarran wrote: Please tell me more about this?? :D

EDIT: I feel like such a boob - Gathered Force Community is in FB :P lol And here I thought it was a Jedi social media thing all on its own :D ahahahaha

Umm.....It is....it's own thing....all on its own ;) The Facebook Page is just a platform of connectivity....much like TOTJO's very own facebook page ;) Try putting the words together.....and a .com at the end of those words ;) maybe even add a http://www. before the words.....Warning<-- Kit is being silly

http://gatheredforcecommunity.com/

My derpiness knows no bounds... ahahahahahahahaha
Hey, I've always said I'm about as sharp as a bag of wet mice! LOL ;)

THANKS, YOU TWO! ^_^

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Tarran.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #199063 by

Tarran wrote:

Br. John wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Tarran wrote: Please tell me more about this?? :D

EDIT: I feel like such a boob - Gathered Force Community is in FB :P lol And here I thought it was a Jedi social media thing all on its own :D ahahahaha

Umm.....It is....it's own thing....all on its own ;) The Facebook Page is just a platform of connectivity....much like TOTJO's very own facebook page ;) Try putting the words together.....and a .com at the end of those words ;) maybe even add a http://www. before the words.....Warning<-- Kit is being silly

http://gatheredforcecommunity.com/

My derpiness knows no bounds... ahahahahahahahaha
Hey, I've always said I'm about as sharp as a bag of wet mice! LOL ;)

THANKS, YOU TWO! ^_^

haha!! No worries! XD I have my own airheaded-ness XD I was in a silly place the day I wrote that XD

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #199089 by Tarran
Replied by Tarran on topic alternatives to Facebook?
OMG, WOW... so like, I go over to my new ello - RIGHT HERE - and I try to scope things out some more, feel around for what's what, etc. - and I try to search for other Jedi...

In the search field, I typed "Jedi", and of course, I found a lot of posts with that tag, and was all like, DUH! LOL Then I changed it to "Jediism" (I'm so derpy lol), and hit 'enter' - nothing found, and I realized the search was set to 'posts', and not 'people'... so I changed it appropriately, and then *whammo* - NOTHING!!

So then, I, at this very present moment, in an entire single social media platform, am the sole, singular, solitary Jedi there is... how odd/cool is that? It's like, Holy Highlander, Batman! "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!" WAHAHAHAHA!! :P :D

Just thought I'd share that wee bit of silly with y'allz hehe :D

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Tarran.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John

More
8 years 8 months ago #199090 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic alternatives to Facebook?
Two years ago I vowed not to post anything further to Facebook. No likes, no comments and no anything. I did not delete my account for one reason. Just in case someone was trying to find me (and could not elsewhere) and messaged me there, I would answer them with my email, phone number, etc and tell them I don't use Facebook - that I might check it for messages every month or two. It's come up a few times. I'm possibility a hypocrite for that but I hope just a petty one.

Our page for The Order is for the sole purpose of telling people we're here. Here as in http://TempleOfJediOrder.org .

Personally I find Facebook repugnant for a wide variety of reasons all of which I consider valid.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #199091 by

Br. John wrote: Two years ago I vowed not to post anything further to Facebook. No likes, no comments and no anything. I did not delete my account for one reason. Just in case someone was trying to find me (and could not elsewhere) and messaged me there, I would answer them with my email, phone number, etc and tell them I don't use Facebook - that I might check it for messages every month or two. It's come up a few times. I'm possibility a hypocrite for that but I hope just a petty one.

Our page for The Order is for the sole purpose of telling people we're here. Here as in http://TempleOfJediOrder.org .

Personally I find Facebook repugnant for a wide variety of reasons all of which I consider valid.

I think the only reason I haven't been able to leave is because when I have, my friends never bother to keep in touch otherwise. But I have to wonder if it's worth it, if they only find me worth interacting with as long as I'm on the same network.

More
8 years 8 months ago #199092 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic alternatives to Facebook?
I don't use it much, but check it. I was the same with Myspace. Was good to see FB support VR at Oculus though, I'd love VR to have affordable market penetration and growth. I'm not sure what it's advantages are besides an evolved email contact list, to include all that other media and connectivity at the cost of real functionality. Yea a social platform, online, lol - a bit of a contradiction in terms but I get it. I just prefer things to based around functional output rather then face connection. The idea has some merit but eventually might be absorbed into the desktop of some OS
:blink:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi