Lightsabers Anonymous

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #206905 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Lightsabers Anonymous

CryojenX wrote: I know this video isn't directly related to lightsabers per se, but it is relevant to the discussion I think.

https://youtu.be/mASQmEQBd_Y

lol ; "you got a freaking TRACKING NUMBER" i just thought that was funny for some reason :-/

anyway the subtopic of material possessions and collecting them reminded me of this scene in this movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr5eVMav0cs

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #206915 by
Replied by on topic Lightsabers Anonymous

OB1Shinobi wrote: anyway the subtopic of material possessions and collecting them reminded me of this scene in this movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr5eVMav0cs

I was so young when I last watched that, I never saw the significance of it. Thanks!

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #206920 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Lightsabers Anonymous
i take it as being a statement of more than just material possessions - basically the idea of staying in our "safe" little rooms, clinging to the things (and thoughts and perspectives and attitudes) of yesterday

the scene symbolizes (to me) all the junk we collect, yes, as consumers, which we think is sooo important and really isnt, but also as personalities

and the choice we make, daily, to hold on to that junk or to let it go

i love the dialogue too

"you cant LOOK where youre going if you dont KNOW where youre going"

"i was searching for something"

lol, yeah me too!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #207617 by
So here's the deal: I finally received my Saberforge saber in the mail, and I won't lie, the thing looks amazing and feels fantastic in the hand despite being a bit weightier than I'm used to from my Ultrasaber. But the blade weight for the InfinityEdge blades is simply too much for my weakling fibromyalgic muscles, think less Popeye and more Olive Oyle. Putting in a 30 inch midgrade blade from ultrasabers made it feel like when you first put your regular shoes back on after taking off rollerskates, so I could manage that...

But the real reality check came a few hours later (this was saturday) when I found myself in the E.R. with one of the worst migraines I've ever had in my life (which I'm still trying to recover from)! Ok, I get it. Real-world lightsabers and migraineurs don't mix, especially when we're talking about a 12 watt, 6 was a little hard to look at for too long, but 12? Forget about it.

So now I find myself the humbled and not so proud owner of what is for me at least, a beautifully crafted yet ultimately useless paperweight. Maybe I'll put it on eBay and give the proceeds to charity or something. Lessons learned.

Attachment h3275169.jpg not found

Attachment h8eb54e3.jpg not found

Attachment hb2a5fd2.jpg not found

Attachment hc3af414.jpg not found

Attachments:

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 6 months ago #207623 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Lightsabers Anonymous
order a 6 watt led module from saberforge and swap it with the 12 watt....it's 2 wires and being from the same source the wires will likely be identical...as to the weight of the infinity edge blade...yeah it took me a bit to get used to it...but i did get used to it....oddly when i put it in my newly finished hilt the blade feels lighter than when in my older hilt....of course the newer hilt moves the blades balance point closer to the hilt due to a deeper blade socket...another option is to shorten the saberforge blade a couple of inches which will reduce weight...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #207632 by
I guess I'm questioning my interest in them altogether, for me they really have no practical application. I know not everything in life needs to, that's why I have my books, my poetry. When I think of the amount of food that $280 bucks could have bought for homeless youth out on the street, I have serious difficulty justifying it when for me, with my disability it has little to no use, other than something to sit there and always serve as a reminder of a lesson learned the hard way.

My mind is my lightsaber. This is all I need.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #207642 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Lightsabers Anonymous

CryojenX wrote: My mind is my lightsaber. This is all I need.

Hehe, yep or from a Kundalini perspective perhaps, your hips are your hilt and your spinal cord your blade... with the emanating light being the mind
B)

finally a reason to use the sunglass emoticon!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Adder.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 6 months ago #207655 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Lightsabers Anonymous
sounds like "buyers remorse"....it's not uncommon...anytime someone buys something for any reason other than practicality there's a chance to experience it....sometimes we need to make these "impulse buys" and simply move on from them

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #207667 by

RyuJin wrote: sounds like "buyers remorse"....it's not uncommon...anytime someone buys something for any reason other than practicality there's a chance to experience it....sometimes we need to make these "impulse buys" and simply move on from them

Yeah, that sounds about right. I need to contemplate contributing factors behind the desire to buy "insert shiny new thing here". I suppose particular hilts with styles based off of particular fictional Jedi whom I admire have a certain appeal due to what their image represents in my thinking. The flaw in this faulty logic is that owning a Saberforge Guardian or Ultrasabers Consular is NOT going to help me to internalize the traits I admire in Qui Gon Jinn, unless the trait I'm looking to share with him is being completely broke. Yet the appeal is still there...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #208809 by
I'm going to get myself a Lightsaber from Hasbro, the Force FX, or something like that, since the dollar to brazilian real exchange rate is too steep, and we have noone making those amazing custom-made lightsabers.

I have two questions about it. First, some people said they can support some hitting, is that true?
Second, which color should I get? I was thinking about getting the Obi-Wan Kenobi blue one, since he's my favorite character not named Darth Vader. Does the color make any difference for us as jediists, since I've heard (correct me if I'm wrong) they can be used for ceremonial purposes?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi