What Are You/We Looking For?

More
8 years 11 months ago #192736 by Breeze el Tierno
Looking where I had always looked, I found what I had always found. It was time to stop looking all by myself.

I came because it was clear that I didn't know what to look for.

I stay because the answers and, more importantly, the new questions satisfy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #192750 by SilverWolf
I will tell you why I joined TOTJO:

All my life I belonged to a Baptist church, and then one day my mother stopped taking us. I never understood why, but I continued to read my bible and believe in God.

My dad was a old-time movie buff : Top Hat, Easter Parade, Show boat, The King and I, so I guess you could say my first teachings of "how to be a gentleman" and treat women with respect came from watching those movies, with the help of my dad teaching me how those movies translates to real-life.

As I got older, I watched movies like Star Wars, Camelot, Tron , Dragon Heart, and began going to National Geographic Lectures in Washington,D.C. with my parents. Though the lectures were long and sometimes boring, they awakened my mind to different cultures and religions and I began learning about religions of all types throughout elementary school, middle school, high school. Religions such as Mormonism, wicca, Satanism, Buddism. Basically, if it was a religion or belief system, I learned about it.

When I finally started to play MMO games, I played "Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire divided" and was a Jedi, I was so helpful and kind, I gained a reputation that extended through two separate servers. I was kidded many times by people "Wow you really are a jedi" I laughed it off at first, but then I started to think about my life, and the friends I've made, the help I've given others in real-life and in the games I played.

I am Disabled, I have epilepsy and cerebral palsy, I live on a limited Income, but yet I go out of my way to help others for no other reason other than it is the right thing to do. I then laughed and said "Oh My God! I'm basically living the life of a Jedi" However, In all fairness there are other religions that teach the same things as well.

I believe the turning point for me was when my Son Aiden was born. I went to the pastor of each church within 50 miles and asked the same thing "Will you please just say a non-formal simple blessing over our son please?" Nothing fancy, just a simple "I bless this child so he may grow up strong and healthy and safe, may he learn the ways of right and wrong, and grow to be a kind, loving child.

EVERY SINGLE PASTOR within 50 miles denied us a simple prayer over our son.

That is when I began my search for churches in other states, and I found TOTJO. I had looked at other Jediism sites, but this one seemed to be the most forthcoming, and honest, and Though I sometimes disagree with certain members posts and beliefs on certain subjects. I find that the Majority of people here are very good, honorable, people and I have been very lucky to consider all of them "Friends".

I am currently doing two types of classwork. The Jedi studies lesson ("The book" by Alan Watts) Though It is considered a very good lesson.
I am also working on getting my Associates degree in Business Administration at Ohio Christian University.

For my opinion and belief of what a Jedi is goes something like this: A jedi is not what is in the movies, a Jedi is like what someone would describe what a hero is "A person who helps another person for no reward other than just because it is the right thing to do" Jediism as far as I know has no rules on wether or not a woman can become a clergy, or a Jedi. Compared to most other religions they don't have many restrictions. I actually admire the Women of the Order, they can give very well thought out posts and can give as good as they can get sometimes too. They are just as formidable as any guy in this place.

So that is my story, that is why I became a Jedi, and why I am staying with TOTJO and going to work on becoming clergy at some point. If you join a religion, it must feel "right" it must feel like family. Speaking for myself alone, TOTJO feels that way for me. So much so that my son wants to learn TOTJO lessons just like daddy ( he is 5) I only wish TOTJO had lessons for his Age.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, , Amaya, Edan

More
8 years 10 months ago #193791 by Tellahane
A community which is hard to find, those who believe in the force, are few and far between even 20 years after its creation, and there is still quite a bit of skepticism and humility out in the communities around each person over the belief in itself and whether it actually exists or not, that with today's internet access its nice to find a place to come together with other like minded individuals walking along the same path or close enough to each other's paths that you can discuss and learn and progress without any fear of negative criticisms. I think people come here not just for knowledge exchange and guidance, but for comfort and community as well.

Myself I'm following a very unique path that I haven't as of yet been able to find a like-minded individual...yet and while there's nothing wrong with any of that, I find coming here and reading everyone's views and opinions and discussions helps me define my path by asking myself the same questions and opinions, so as the community grows, each individual themselves grows within the community. As long as the respect for one other holds out, it will be a long fruitful path for everyone I would think.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #193854 by
Replied by on topic What Are You/We Looking For?
I'll admit that when I first came here it was so I could call myself a Jedi. After going through the forums and some of the IP, I realized that Jediism, as it is practiced here, is actually what I believed spiritually all along. Now I am "looking" to complete my studies and become a frequent, valuable member of this wonderful community.

More
8 years 10 months ago #193858 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic What Are You/We Looking For?
Three years ago, my first initial motivation for applying for membership here at the TOTJO was to further my personal quest to understand what is commonly referred as life force, aka, "the Force." Although admittedly, I had not discovered precisely what I was searching for, I discovered in its place a plethora of teachings, a philosophy that includes (but not exclusive to) the Tao, Shintoism, Buddhism and that of the Bushido. Together, they have assisted in my better understanding myself, and as a result, I have changed much since I first joined. It has assisted in my establishing a balance within myself I thought not possible.

I have since that time left, only to be called back. It wasn't the religion, the teachings or the philosophy that motivated my return. It was the people. The few who made attempts to get to know me without judging, regardless if I had identified with being a Sith. They know who they are.

My motivation for staying is that I do wish to see this philosophy evolve. I have, in my three years in this community, been witness to hundreds of disgruntled Individuals voicing their discontent over how this religion/philosophy is being handled and mismanaged. These same Individuals have done little to contribute to the direction of Jediism, and yet they continue to complain.

The future of Jediism will not be influenced by those who sit back and complain. It will not be directed by council seats. The future of Jediism will be molded and shaped by those that follow it, practice it, and live it on a daily basis. It will be given new life by those that are willing to push it to new limits. By followers that think outside of the box, by people that dare to dream and individuals that are willing to sacrifice time and energy to help it flourish and thrive. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that? Who wouldn't want to be surrounded by these kind of people?

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi