What Are You/We Looking For?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #192594 by
It seems to me most people come here looking for something. People leave because the don't find what they are seeking.

What are you looking for that you think you will find at the Temple of the Jedi Order?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #192599 by
Replied by on topic What Are You/We Looking For?
Tough question. The answer changes as I spend more time here. When I first arrived there was a void in my life and I was looking for something to fill it. I was watching Star Wars and listening to Obi-Wan speak in A New Hope and I thought, "Man that's cool. There has to be something like that in real life." I was looking for a way to feel connected with the universe and to complete myself as a part of it.

I guess that's still my goal, it just seems somewhat more solid now. At the time it was just a vague feeling, now it all makes more sense, and somehow less sense at the same time (thank you Alan Watts :laugh: ).

I was looking for somewhere that would present deeper mental and spiritual challenges. As a martial artist I had always trained my body and had been told to train my mind and spirit, but I had neglected those because nothing seemed right. This did, and still does.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #192614 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic What Are You/We Looking For?
In my first journal post (probably my second post on the forum) I wrote:

Ultimately, I can't really say what I am after; experience has told me not to expect, just to do.

I still have the same attitude. I can tell you why I stay here, I can tell you what I get from being here, but there's nothing I'm really looking for. I definitely felt some kind of 'hole' when I joined, because I'd realised not that long before that I wasn't religious and I'd chucked away pretty much my whole belief system that centred on that. I joined though not to fill the hole but because reading the doctrine I found myself agreeing with it, and it was the first time I'd found somewhere where I felt that way.

I speak to a lot of new members through PM greetings and there are people who really are searching for something, although I'd say they're searching for something within themselves and it seems to them that they might be able to find that here. I think it's a mistake to look for something in a place or a faith because there are people with similar ideas but who end up with different religions. It's really down to what you find within yourself; just that the places you go to can encourage you or open you up to finding it. That's what I feel about the IP and other 'tools' we give people, it's not to look at something within the rest of us, but for them to look for something within themselves.

Not everyone stays here because maybe something suits them better, but it doesn't mean that there wasn't anything useful for them, just that their and our paths diverged.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Adder, Locksley, Alexandre Orion, , , Loudzoo

More
8 years 11 months ago #192619 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic What Are You/We Looking For?
I'm not really looking for anything any more.

What I've learnt about TOTJO is that although there is much that you can/will learn here, it is often not what you expected or intended to learn.

And even if you do find the thing that you are actually looking for, if you are too focused on a particular outcome then other wonderful things might pass you by unnoticed...

So, I don't have any particular aims or goals in mind. I'm interested to see what more I will find here, but I'm happy in the knowledge that whatever I do find will be a nice surprise...

What keeps me here (and has kept me coming back in times when I have wavered) is the sense that the Temple is home for me. I don't have to look for anything or do anything or achieve anything to maintain that feeling...it's just the way it is. :)

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion, , , Loudzoo

More
8 years 11 months ago #192620 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic What Are You/We Looking For?
I came here because I felt an extreem lack of the spiritual side of my life (and at the time a large lacking of social. I could handle one but not both) and that's what I was looking for.

I didn't directly find that, but a close friend I met here did point me where I needed to go.

I stay for the self-exploration, the conversations, and the relationships :D Always seems like there's something new to learn here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion, , , Loudzoo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #192623 by
I ran across Alan Watt's 'The Book' on a friend's bookshelf a year before finding TotJO and fell in love with the idea. I came to the Temple for a sense of understanding and connection to my rough draft spirituality that seemed deeper here than other Jediism groups. Nothing against them, they just seemed caught in the Star Wars mythology more than TotJO.

I stay, and come back, for the openness and sharing of knowledge. Everyone here seems willing to explore and I appreciate that lack of dogma.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #192629 by
I came to the path 10 years ago looking for power.

Now I don't know anymore.

More
8 years 11 months ago #192646 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic What Are You/We Looking For?
I think I was looking for people that understood the strange way I viewed the world.
I found people that opened my eyes to even stranger ways :)

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion, , , , OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 11 months ago #192663 by PatrickB
I'm looking for the way to live forever . And as a community I hope we looking for the ways to build somehow great positive thinking matter. It's simple but it come to great potential this school of Jediisme to put in forward good and action figure . I saw a great idea today from apprentices and other ranks to build a radio for sermons and probably more .

I'm looking to feel good everyday and learn new way of putting my mind into productive status . Not only that I can feel here at the totjo . I read a lot and it makes me feel better because I'm rather lonely in the present time but life is like stages it comes and it goes . It seem to me that with a understanding community it for fill my life bit by bit .

Event do we are from different parts of the wold it's event better I love discovering other culture . But i think we have to establish a basic language . I'm making effort and others to . :blush: :side: :pinch:

The one that posses with a devices is responsible for others . Being at large is brought too my attention . An armor is the key to unarm devices .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion,

More
8 years 11 months ago #192664 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic What Are You/We Looking For?
A landing platform, to orientate my conceptualizations and research to and from so to order association and meter effort. I would have made my own site, but I think community brings lots of benefits.

:lol: :P

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, PatrickB, , OB1Shinobi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi