The Fremen.....

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190637 by
The Fremen..... was created by
So, if anyone has read my journal, or read anything I have posted really, you will find one thing tends to be a recurring theme. Like a few others; I have a connection, a fascination, with Frank Herbert's Dune saga. Just his works since I have not read the prequels.

I have always considered myself a Fremen, even if I am still working on what that means. Which brings me to the point of this thread.

Not sure if this should even be here, but I did not know where else to put it.

Does anyone else here identify as or with the Fremen? How does one combine the teachings of the Temple with the structure and culture of the Fremen? (What bits we are able to piece together from books and forums that is)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #190639 by Tarran
Replied by Tarran on topic The Fremen.....
You've got me wondering now, if one might consider Prana-Bindu and the Weirding Way of the Bene Gesserit as aspects of the Force... although the Fremen (if I remember correctly) weren't practitioners so much, until Paul of House Atreides, the prophesied Kwisatz Haderach, had brought it to them...

...P.S.~ I've often said, "Fear is the mind killer... but laughter is the fear killer" ;) :D

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Tarran.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190640 by
Replied by on topic The Fremen.....
From my understanding (and I'm always open to being wrong) Prana Bindu and the "Weirding Way" of the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood are more in line with the yoga practices of extreme body control. Being able to control every aspect of your physical self. Paul Atreides and his mother the Lady Jessica took it a bit further with the Fremen given the huge amounts of spice melange in the Fremen diet giving them an edge very similar to Paul's prescient abilities. Add in that the Fremen were a nomadic warrior-esque culture and the 'Weirding Way" goes from dangerous to down right lethal.

I was thinking more along the lines of Fremen philosophy and culture than the warrior aspect.

More
8 years 11 months ago #190641 by Tarran
Replied by Tarran on topic The Fremen.....
Yeah, fairly physical... as far as the Bindu part (musculature), but the Prana part (breath) is Sanskrit for "life force", and how it is tied to the breath... much like qi and jing in qigong, and therefore somewhat Force related.

But yeah, the warrior aspect... hmmm... good question - now you got me wanting to dig deeper into that cultural aspect... totally geeking out here! :D haha :)

Apprentice to J. K. Barger

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190642 by
Here's something fun (and maybe a little relevant)!

I have never read Dune.

I downloaded a BUNCH of occult books a while back. And, promptly forgot about them.

On a plane ride last winter, I found the Bene Gesserit manual in my occult book collection.

I read it. And, I was like: You know.. this sounds like a really cool organization. I should check it out!

I'm on the plane, of course, so I don't have internet access. And, I get all excited about researching this amazing organization.

Turns out it was fictional, and I was highly disappointed. I thought being a male sexual subject could be fun! ;)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190643 by

Connor L. wrote: Turns out it was fictional, and I was highly disappointed.

One person's fiction is another person's fact. Just because it does not exist in this reality currently doesn't mean it can not exist in the future.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #190644 by

Connor L. wrote: Here's something fun (and maybe a little relevant)!

I have never read Dune.

I downloaded a BUNCH of occult books a while back. And, promptly forgot about them.

On a plane ride last winter, I found the Bene Gesserit manual in my occult book collection.

I read it. And, I was like: You know.. this sounds like a really cool organization. I should check it out!

I'm on the plane, of course, so I don't have internet access. And, I get all excited about researching this amazing organization.

Turns out it was fictional, and I was highly disappointed. I thought being a male sexual subject could be fun! ;)

I would argue that its about as real or valid as any of those other occult books you downloaded.

Arguably, you could say real people were part of those other books, but a real person wrote Dune.

Just like....Star Wars....

I was always more a Dune fan than a Star Wars fan myself.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 11 months ago #190646 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic The Fremen.....
i always considered fremen to be a play on the words "free men" since everyone else served the emperor, the navigators, or the sisterhood whereas the fremen were free men (and women), they served no one....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: PatrickB

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190648 by

RyuJin wrote: i always considered fremen to be a play on the words "free men" since everyone else served the emperor, the navigators, or the sisterhood whereas the fremen were free men (and women), they served no one....

I can see where that could work, yet the Fremen did serve someone, or rather something. They served the tribe and the seitch. They served the Naibs as the leaders. Towards the end of Dune they served the Emperor, and House Atreides.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 11 months ago #190650 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic The Fremen.....
i didn't see them as serving paul....but rather as being loyal to him...to me there is a difference between serving and being loyal...in either case they were free to choose whom they were loyal to/served....whereas everyone else had to serve one of the 3 factions....and the freedom to choose makes all the difference

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi