Mayweather vs Paquiao

More
8 years 11 months ago #190120 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Mayweather vs Paquiao
Thought you guys might appreciate this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGpdlYIl51M

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190154 by
Replied by on topic Mayweather vs Paquiao
Yup I'm in the same boat as Alex, when I read that title I thought it was a civil rights case or something, shows how much I know about sport... :P

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 11 months ago #190175 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Mayweather vs Paquiao

Ratcliffe wrote: I wonder about this forum. My concern, for what is worth. is that we are giving Mr. Mayweather time. He has been charged 5 times, over 15 year, and convicted, with jail time once, of domestic violence. The judge moved when he had to go to jail so he could box. The boxing federation has never limited his ability to participate in fights. Much like my concerns with the NFL I am not sure we want to give him more publicity. Just my two cents for what it is worth.

You wonder about this "forum"?

Do you mean the site, this actual forum this is posted in, or the thread? Just curious..:)

I dont watch sports either...;)

This guys job is a boxer, having personal problems in life does not mean we cannot appreciate his professional accomplishments...

I understand you are talking about the "worship" status of a 'hero' because he is not an all around good guy, but few people in the world are...

Even in the fiction, as we are talking about in the "deception" thread, the hero sometimes has a dark side...

Worship a teacher? Just saw a news story about a female teacher taking advantage of two students... A neighbor? Parents?

Who?

He is not just a doer of 'domestic violence', but could be a loving dad, help with charities, help little old ladies cross the street...

Life is hard for us all, some of us are in the spotlight, and have to face public scrutiny when we screw up...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #190222 by
Replied by on topic Mayweather vs Paquiao

Jestor wrote:
I understand you are talking about the "worship" status of a 'hero' because he is not an all around good guy, but few people in the world are...

Worship a teacher? Just saw a news story about a female teacher taking advantage of two students...

He is not just a doer of 'domestic violence', but could be a loving dad, help with charities, help little old ladies cross the street...[/color]

To the technical part I think I mean thread :blush:

As for the worship status of a hero... In deed good sir.

To the teacher part I wonder as I am want to do.

For the teacher was the coverage overall positive and does it appear she will be returned to work without penalty. If she is returned to work is it likely her class attendance will rise?

As for being a loving dad this appears to be true.

Help with charities- indeed he has one of his own.

Help little old ladies cross the street- maybe and the fact one of his domestic violence citations was for attaching a female bystander it seems incongruent with his history.

As I noted in my post I am not sure we should give him more publicity.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by . Reason: typo

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 11 months ago #190224 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Mayweather vs Paquiao
well i don't have any "hero worship" for him....as i said i hope pacquio wins...mayweather is an arrogant pompous twit that needs to be knocked down a peg or two...just like silva did in the ufc....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Edan

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #190245 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Re:Mayweather vs Paquiao

RyuJin wrote: ..just like silva did in the ufc....

And a fan of the ufc? Excellent :)

Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #190246 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Re:Mayweather vs Paquiao

If it's just the domestic violence issue that you have a problem with, then I can only say that despite finding it despicable, he has served his time. Without any evidence to prove that he is doing similar now, despite how classless or crass you find him, I find it unfair to hold someone's past crimes against them when they have been through the justice system and out the other side.

Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Edan.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #190248 by Reacher
Replied by Reacher on topic Mayweather vs Paquiao
I get the sense that it's going to be a pretty spectacular fight - explosive over several short engagements. Mayweather is world-class at encouraging his opponents to try to pressure him. He has that singular shoulder roll that deflects hooks like water off a duck's back. Thing is, most guys get sucked in to trying to throw the hook (because he drops his hands) until they can barely keep their gloves up. Then comes the very deliberate counter-punching later in the match. Mayweather's fight against Canelo Alvarez is a textbook example of this strategy. Thing is, Pacman isn't a young, strong, dumb kid. He's watched Floyd for years and knows exactly what he'll try to do. He knows Mayweather will want him to play the hunter to a very coy prey until Mayweather has him sucked in. Manny will have to change that dynamic...perhaps darting in and out with very explosive combos of straight punches, but never full-court pressure that will get him good and tired like Mayweather likes. Bottom line is, he HAS to know that Mayweather's game isn't one he's going to win. Pacquiao is very explosive, so the straight combos with a lot of motion to limit counter-punch exposure COULD get him a win. Both guys can end it with one solid combo, though, so it's any man's fight.

I think we're going to see quite a chess match - one with small bursts of fireworks, but not a lot of constant pressure. That's Manny's only real move that capitalizes on his strengths and isn't playing straight into Floyd's hands. The real question is if Manny Pacquiao can beat Floyd Mayweather in the flash-instant of those combos without tiring himself out. If so, he'll win. I'm skeptical, but he certainly could.

Both have over a decade of reputation riding on this and neither are spring chickens. I'm excited to watch two of the great masters ply their trade against equal mastery. For every one move we see on camera, there will be four we never saw that brought them to the one.

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Reacher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190249 by
Replied by on topic Re:Mayweather vs Paquiao

Edan wrote:

If it's just the domestic violence issue that you have a problem with, then I can only say that despite finding it despicable, he has served his time. Without any evidence to prove that he is doing similar now, despite how classless or crass you find him, I find it unfair to hold someone's past crimes against them when they have been through the justice system and out the other side.

Just to pick up on this, once someone has been duly dealt with for their crimes (I don't know any details about this case) the best thing to be done is a show of forgiveness afterwards, providing the ex-criminal has in some way demonstrated "repentance". If we treat an ex-criminal as though they are still a criminal then this is all the more likely what they will become again...

Reacher it's funny you mentioned boxing being like a chess match, have you ever watched chess-boxing?

More
8 years 11 months ago #190270 by Reacher
Replied by Reacher on topic Mayweather vs Paquiao
I sure haven't, Akkarin, but the visual I have just now is pretty amusing.

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi