5 rights women have that men don't

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #182616 by
I find the concept of privilege an interesting one.
In general, we all have privileges and restrictions. This is generally a perspective. How do I perceive this situation - am I limited or am I free?

When I teach grappling, I always ask my student - "who is winning? who has the advantage? Who is in control?" The only correct answer - no matter what position or lock the person is in is - I am in charge (of myself). If I feel empowered, then I am. If I surrender to my victim mentality, then I am a victim.

People talk about "White Male Privilege". What people seldom talk about are the limitations, expectations and restricts that come with that supposed "privilege". Everything is a blessing and a curse. Everything has a good and a bad.

Women have curtain attributes that "allow them privileges" and these attributes can come with a lot of challenges and "baggage".

In the end, nothing about life in the Earth is "fair" or "equal". But in spirit, all things are one, equal and unified.

What we should be focusing on is: how do we lift ourselves out of the victim state and into the empowered state so topics like this disappear?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #182617 by

1. Women have the right to genital integrity

I really have nothing to say about the first point except that it did state that it was only in regards to current US law.

2. Women have the right to vote without agreeing to die

Regardless of how any of it came to be, men still have to agree to be drafted before they can vote and women don't. Not exactly equal no matter how you look at it.

3. Women have the right to choose parenthood.

The simple fact is that women can say "I don't want it, take it away" while men are forced to pay child support regardless of what they want. I'm not against men supporting their child but the fact remains that the law says they have to if the woman wants them to while women can give up the child in multiple ways.

Admittedly I'm a little biased on this because when my parents got divorced my father's lawyer must have been really bad at his job. My mom got the house, was our (my sister and I) primary caregiver (getting into part four keep this in mind) and my father had to pay child support. My father made a lot less money than my mother and while she was our primary caregiver they split time with us 50/50. Why would my father have to pay child support in that scenario. It was so bad, he fell behind once and managed to gather enough up to pay it all at once. My mom took us to Disney world with it. My father is still bitter, understandably.

4. Women have the right to be assumed caregivers for children.

If a woman wants to be the primary caregiver for a child in the case of divorce she pretty much just has to say so. For the man to get primary he basically has to prove that they woman is unfit to be a good mother. Anyone who has gone through their own divorce or is a child of divorce can attest to that. Whatever the law might actually say, that is how it is.

Please note that I love both my parents but my father was way more instrumental in shaping my life and he got screwed in the divorce.

5. Women have the right to call unwanted, coerced sex rape

This has less to do with law and more to do with perception, that I'll admit. Their argument is that when it happens to a man it has to be classified as something other than rape which means that it's not treated the same or used in most rape statistics. Not equal treatment, but...

What the article is really getting at is that men can't really come forward and say that a woman raped him because...well...he's a man. Society expects that not only does he always want to have sex regardless of who it's with but that he could stop a woman from forcing him to do it if he didn't want to. The article is not wrong about that.

[hr /]
What the whole article comes down to, for me, is that there are still laws in the US that are different based on gender and that's not equal. I'm not a fan of the authors obvious slant against feminists specifically, I think it would have been more effective if simply talking about how the laws aren't equal without calling out a specific group.

More
9 years 2 months ago #182619 by rugadd
You can not change the system and expect things to get better without first changing the people who support that system.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Jestor, OB1Shinobi

More
9 years 2 months ago #182631 by OB1Shinobi

baru wrote: I find the concept of privilege an interesting one.
In general, we all have privileges and restrictions. This is generally a perspective. How do I perceive this situation - am I limited or am I free?

When I teach grappling, I always ask my student - "who is winning? who has the advantage? Who is in control?" The only correct answer - no matter what position or lock the person is in is - I am in charge (of myself). If I feel empowered, then I am. If I surrender to my victim mentality, then I am a victim.

People talk about "White Male Privilege". What people seldom talk about are the limitations, expectations and restricts that come with that supposed "privilege". Everything is a blessing and a curse. Everything has a good and a bad.

Women have curtain attributes that "allow them privileges" and these attributes can come with a lot of challenges and "baggage".

In the end, nothing about life in the Earth is "fair" or "equal". But in spirit, all things are one, equal and unified.

What we should be focusing on is: how do we lift ourselves out of the victim state and into the empowered state so topics like this disappear?

cosigned

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #182856 by

Goken wrote: I came across this article the other day and I found it rather interesting.

5 rights that women have that men don't

Obviously the laws change by country, this is going by US laws currently.

3. Men have this right, it's just a little more invasive. Today for about $800 or so you can have a vasectomy, for about $40 a month you can bank sperm.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #182868 by

rugadd wrote: You can not change the system and expect things to get better without first changing the people who support that system.

Very well said, Rugadd. This is true, whether you are talking about changing laws, changing a business or even changing how you run your house. But I will take it one step further. You cannot change the system and expect things to get better without changing the people who support that system, but you have to first change yourself and demonstrate your influence to others in order for them to change and then move on to changing the system.

Any and all change has to first come from you. When people see you change, then question it. When they watch you work and fight for what you believe in, they will be inspired. When they see you are commited and accountable to your fight, they will start to rally behind you. When you stand before the people as a leader, you then cast the vision for what you are wanting to do. The people have already bought into you and now you have to get them to buy into the vision. Once they have bought into the vision, then you can create a movement. None of this can happen until you agree and effectively change yourself and then prove yourself. This goes for anything from business to politics to managing your own home.

May the Force be with you all.

More
9 years 2 months ago #182871 by OB1Shinobi

Silvermane wrote:

rugadd wrote: You can not change the system and expect things to get better without first changing the people who support that system.

Very well said, Rugadd. This is true, whether you are talking about changing laws, changing a business or even changing how you run your house. But I will take it one step further. You cannot change the system and expect things to get better without changing the people who support that system, but you have to first change yourself and demonstrate your influence to others in order for them to change and then move on to changing the system.

Any and all change has to first come from you. When people see you change, then question it. When they watch you work and fight for what you believe in, they will be inspired. When they see you are commited and accountable to your fight, they will start to rally behind you. When you stand before the people as a leader, you then cast the vision for what you are wanting to do. The people have already bought into you and now you have to get them to buy into the vision. Once they have bought into the vision, then you can create a movement. None of this can happen until you agree and effectively change yourself and then prove yourself. This goes for anything from business to politics to managing your own home.

May the Force be with you all.

cosigned

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #182897 by

Goken wrote: I'm not a fan of the authors obvious slant against feminists specifically, I think it would have been more effective if simply talking about how the laws aren't equal without calling out a specific group.

I'm with you on that one. Pretty much sums it up for me.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

More
9 years 2 months ago #182916 by Kit
You know what else men have that women don't? This drives me up the wall!!

Buttons...

I demand to either have clothes with right-handed buttons or someone to dress me! :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #182917 by

Kamizu wrote: You know what else men have that women don't? This drives me up the wall!!

Buttons...

I demand to either have clothes with right-handed buttons or someone to dress me! :woohoo:

You know what I wish women had that men have? Pockets. I swear I have to carry all of my fiance's stuff because none of her clothes have functional pockets worth a darn. LOL

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi