Jedi Knight in one word

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #178835 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Knight in one word

Arcade wrote: The past couple of days I've been trying to identify a word that would be appropriate. As Brenna wrote, it might be impossible to choose a single word that would be totally accurate and meaningful to every individual.

But... wholeness maybe? I wanted to say oneness, but that doesn't feel completely representative of what I believe makes a Jedi Knight. Wholeness, to me, says everything (love, oneness, self-awareness, compassion, balance, perceptiveness, patience, integrity, reason, etc.) and remains open-ended enough to support additional or alternative interpretations.

Like Brenna I have been thinking alone the same sort of lines. When I first saw this question posted on Facebook I wanted to wait until I could get the language behind what I wanted to say correct.

But:

Kitsu Tails wrote: With only one word. Describe what makes a Jedi Knight.

"No."

That would be my one-word response.

I of course understand what you are getting at when you ask that question, but since you want some kind of considered answer here is my explanation... (such as it is)...

The problem with asking this question is, as Arcade points out, no one word could fully explain what it means to us to be a Jedi, much less a Jedi Knight. Jedi, in my opinion, reject the simple reduction of things to "parts", instead looking beyond what is immediately obvious to reach an holistic understanding of the universe. Jedi are forever journeying somewhere, training never ends, and to appreciate this is to realise that society (yet alone the universe!) cannot so simply be reduced down to "parts" as though it were some machine where each "thing" or each "being" is some sort of separate cog that is in some way removed from the whole.

The Force leads one to an holistic view of understanding reality, so whatever "part" might be glorified at any one time is simply what happens to be popular (either to an individual or group of individuals) at any particular time and has no basis in absolute permanence.

Reality is change and dividing it into boxes is to do it an injustice.

Well there's my considered answer :P please don't look at it as "criticism", these are just my musings!
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #178894 by
I fully agree and "GET" that Jedi or rather Jedi Knight, can't be fully expressed with one word. A "Exercise" or "Mind Game" isn't meant to encompass or describe an entire path of enlightenment. It is meerly meant to get the person to reflect and THINK. It's got nothing to do with putting the idea into a box. If anything it is meant to make you think outside of it ;)

for over 20 years Jedi have discussed in lengthy lectures, journal posts, lessons, debates, argued, and held conversations of the full meaning and purpose of what it means to be a Jedi :) This was simply meant to encourage inner reflection. As many of you have stated. You took several DAYS to find your answer, and in those days I bet you all did alot of thinking and concideration of what the path means to you. That is more important than the word ;)

However. Akkarin. In reading your post I think you did find your word....just too caught up in the "Big Picture" to see it.

"Journeyman"
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 2 months ago #178932 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Jedi Knight in one word
I obviously can’t speak for the others, but in both my apprenticeships, “games” of this kind have been played in order to help teach me. Particularly when I’ve been stuck on a concept or digging in my heels.

Which is generally an interesting experience, an one that has a double edge, because most people spend a good deal of their life breaking themselves and their experiences down into single words or sentences that they can then use as a mental loop and get caught up in a process of definition.

The idea itself is a good one. Just yesterday I was asked to select three words that invoked the direction of my business as I started work with a new mentor. Wasn’t an easy task, but a valuable one in that it gave me a starting point. But it is just a starting point. While I get what you’re saying, I believe that Akkarin is right. Too often we spend our time with a limited perspective. Our noses right up against the “reality” of ME and I. Part of our focus here IS to shift our vision to the bigger picture.

I wondered as I re read this thread if that's why it took the knights longer to settle on a word. Maybe once you're aware of the bigger picture, its harder to go back to a point where you're required to limit your view.

But as I said, good exercise. It’s a good teaching tool.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Jestor

More
9 years 2 months ago #178934 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic Jedi Knight in one word
I dont think picking a word limits your view.. In fact adaptibility which is the first word I thought of means a lot to me..
I think that maybe our thoughts behind the words we choose may be a lot more open and involved than what you read.
:)

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Brenna, Edan

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #178935 by Brenna
:) I did not say that picking a word limits your view, only that it can. If a persons focus is solely on a single definition, there is the possibility of limitation.

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Brenna.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #178937 by
Exceptional?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #178939 by

Brenna wrote: :) I did not say that picking a word limits your view, only that it can. If a persons focus is solely on a single definition, there is the possibility of limitation.

I can understand were some folks may have that issue. :) I think that this is great for that problem as well, as it helps the Master to see where the student needs to work. Which would be, in my opinion, the ability to see big pictures in small things.

See, to me, I have been around the community since before 2000. I have seen, debated, argued, discussed and taught "The Big Picture" for many many years ^_^ So it is not that I do not see it or know it. I do.

I quite like this quote:

“Simplicity is about subtracting the obvious and adding the meaningful.”
― John Maeda, The Laws of Simplicity: Design, Technology, Business, Life

Great discussions guys! Keep it up!

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
9 years 2 months ago #178941 by Brenna

Kitsu Tails wrote: See, to me, I have been around the community since before 2000. I have seen, debated, argued, discussed and taught "The Big Picture" for many many years ^_^ So it is not that I do not see it or know it. I do.

I quite like this quote:

“Simplicity is about subtracting the obvious and adding the meaningful.”
― John Maeda, The Laws of Simplicity: Design, Technology, Business, Life

Great discussions guys! Keep it up!

I like this one

"The Tao which can be expressed in words is not the eternal Tao"

So if you're not trying to teach the big picture now, what are you trying to teach us with this particular game?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #178943 by

Kitsu Tails wrote: See, to me, I have been around the community since before 2000. I have seen, debated, argued, discussed and taught "The Big Picture" for many many years ^_^ So it is not that I do not see it or know it. I do.

I appreciate the fact that you've probably been through all this before. I've only been around since August 2014 so for me it's nice to see people discussing the 'why' of the excersice as well as participating in it.

For me the word would still be 'Knight' I know, kind of a cop out, but when I say the word Knight several things come to mind: Batmand (the Dark Knight), King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, Sir Bowen in Dragonheart (love that movie :lol: ), Aragorn in his armor at the battle in front of the Black Gate at the end of the Return of the King, etc. The word counjours up images of shining armor and noble quests, of chivalry and "the old code." All the things I still want to see in a Jedi Knight (though possibly less shiny armor :laugh: ) I think that sums it up pretty well.

If asked to pick a different word I couldn't. I do believe that any other word would be too limiting.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

More
9 years 2 months ago #178947 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Jedi Knight in one word
The reason I picked "Love"...

What is love to you, vs what love is to the next person? Is it ever exactly the same thing from one person to another?

Is love something that can be contained at all in the word "love"?

How much of being a knight involves love?

;)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi