Aurebesh

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #178161 by
Aurebesh was created by
I learned Aurebesh a long time ago so I can read the ads and messages in Star Wars movies and games, and I like being the one person of my friends who can read it.

Do you think it should be part of the Jedi Curriculum? Why or why not?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #178162 by
Replied by on topic Aurebesh
I can't see any practical application to it... Honestly, I think there's no problem if a Jedi (or anybody else) wants to learn the language. But, part of the curriculum? No.

More
9 years 3 months ago #178168 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Aurebesh
Nope, I don't think it should be required. There's vey real-world use for it and I can think of several other things that would be of more importance.

Although that is very cool! I wish I had the time to learn it XD

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #178180 by
I don't see any reason to either, but if we had a physical Temple perhaps some Aurebesh scripts would be on the walls here and there.

I have the Code and the Creed printed out with the Aurebesh translation under it :P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #178185 by
Something tells me that using Aurebesh would decrease our credibility, not enhance it. I shouldn't worry about credibility. But, I do. haha.

More
9 years 3 months ago #178186 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Aurebesh
Credibility will establish itself i think
eventually

i like to point out that learning klingon certainly never gave the impression of absurdity amongst the star trek community

right?
:-)

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #178187 by
It should develop organically. I think... I don't take Aurebesh seriously. So, I don't expect others to. :whistle:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #178188 by
Honestly I spent some time studying Quenya, the ancient elvish language in The Lord of The Rings. It's not the one most commonly spoken in the movies but it is the one Tolkien spent the most time on and is the precursor to the one used in the movies (as far as that world's timeline goes). I say this only so that you all know that 1) I'm a huge nerd :P and 2) I have nothing against learning languages constructed solely for entertainment purposes.

That said, I don't think it should be a requirement. If you want to study it please do, but it's a tie to the fiction that serves no real world purpose for us. I love the fiction and frequently draw inspiration from it, but I believe that every tie we have to the fiction must serve a purpose and this one wouldn't.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #178190 by
I tried to learn Elvish once. Sindarin was the dialect. It was a good experience. :)

You know, there IS a benefit to learning languages. If you like learning this way, maybe think about supplementing with languages that have diplomatic benefit. Spanish, Chinese, and middle eastern languages are all very important to business/diplomacy these days. I would rather spend my energy on that.

More
9 years 3 months ago #178196 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Aurebesh
Aurebesh is a cypher though, not a language right? Isn't it a one-for-one swap of characters to English Alphabet?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi