• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #174864 by
Replied by on topic "The Interview" gets pulled

ren wrote:

Venator Mortis wrote:

Venator Mortis wrote:

ren wrote: The US put ballistic missiles in turkey (with a range that could hit moscow). The US attempted an invasion of cuba. The US had ballistic missiles on US soil (and that's close to cuba). It made perfect sense for cuba to acquire ballistic missiles as well after this. And in fact, it has served them reasonably well; the US had to agree not to attack cuba unprovoked again. It also has high quality education and medical care... As can be observed in the vast list of international awards castro has received.

I truly feel sorry for you...You do realize the missiles were put in Cuba before we even tried anything. ALso they had Czar missiles which was the most advanced nuke during that era. Since you support a man who tortured and starved his own people (Yes Fidel Castro) than you sir are no Jedi.

Yeah, coz supporting the US is so much better. Highest incarceration rate in the world, cops shoot you at will, CIA assassinates and tortures, only country to ever have deployed weapons of mass destruction on anyone, constantly meddling in other countries' internal affairs, etc. Don't try to pull that old "holier than thou no true jedi" crap on me.

Cops shoot at will? Ok well next time your getting robbed call a crack head and not the police :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #174867 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic "The Interview" gets pulled

Goken wrote: As you may know they movie "The Interview" was scheduled to release next week. The movie is about a TV talk show host who gets recruited by the CIA to kill Kim Jong Un during an interview with him.

Recently some hackers made threats that if the movie was released they would blow up movie theaters that showed it. These cyber attacks have been traced back to North Korea. As a result many theater chains decided not to play the movie and that led to Sony ultimately cancelling the release all together.

Now for the discussion part. Was this the right call?

I can see how on one hand it is just a movie. It's a joke and many movies previous to this have had similar plots and were still allowed to show without question. Kim Jong Un needs to have a sense of humor about himself. As the leader of a country people are going to make jokes about him. Also, by pulling the movie we are giving in to terrorists demands which is not a great thing to do as they then would start making more demands.

On the other hand I can see how Kim Jong Un could be offended. Also, a major part of military strategy (and life strategy) is picking your battles. It's not just about if you can win, it's about if the fight is worth the effort. In this case we could see mass casualties because of a movie being released. A movie seems like a silly reason to risk lives if there's a credible threat so I can see how pulling the movie would be a good option. We can swallow a bit of pride to save lives. Another thing to consider, how mad would we be at Sony if they did release the movie and people died. If they knew ahead of time and still did it and it resulted in deaths many people would blame them.

Overall I'm still not sure how I feel. If this weren't all over a movie I'd probably be upset that we caved, but as it stands I also think it's a small price to pay to keep our country safe.

So was it the right call?

Well, let's try and use this example to hit a little closer to home, yes?

Let's say, for the sake of argument that there are certain members of the TOTJO community who have abrasive, demanding, and intolerant attitudes towards certian topics which do not validate either their personal agenda, or the beliefs that they would try to force upon others. These particular members (for the sake of argument) use their hostile personalities to badger and manipulate forum staff to get certian topics taken down, and certian members removed since their claims do not conform with the individuals personal agenda.

An example would be topics such as misandry, and misogony to name two. Most commonly, certian members of one gender who have a particular agenda to push forth, will use their supposed (and inflated) claims of abuse to shame and degrade members of the opposite gender.

But of course, we don't have any problem with censoring free-speech regarding controversial topics.....right?

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren

More
9 years 4 months ago #174872 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic "The Interview" gets pulled

Kohadre wrote: But of course, we don't have any problem with censoring free-speech regarding controversial topics.....right?

Conceptual distinctions do provide valuable insight into ourselves and others, but the art of working with them does not have to incorporate genuine strong emotions - though it is normal to have invested some of ones sense of identity into particular paradigms/views which then can tie down a person to ownership/possession of them and acting in defense and promotion of them. It could be more useful to not be so tied to any in particular except those you've chosen to use, as I think ideally their value lies in their functionality/usefulness in a broader context, and not as paradigms of self identity. So those hypothetical forum moderation actions which might target things 'within the letter of the rules but seemingly outside the spirit' might be best assessed to some interpretation of user intentions to facilitate or contradict the purpose of the Temple - but generally I think that would be rare and instead rely on the application of rules literally. Though if it were to happen then it might become a question as to the perceived v actual the purpose of the Temple.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 4 months ago #174873 by ren
Replied by ren on topic "The Interview" gets pulled

Venator Mortis wrote:

ren wrote:

Venator Mortis wrote:

Venator Mortis wrote:

ren wrote: The US put ballistic missiles in turkey (with a range that could hit moscow). The US attempted an invasion of cuba. The US had ballistic missiles on US soil (and that's close to cuba). It made perfect sense for cuba to acquire ballistic missiles as well after this. And in fact, it has served them reasonably well; the US had to agree not to attack cuba unprovoked again. It also has high quality education and medical care... As can be observed in the vast list of international awards castro has received.

I truly feel sorry for you...You do realize the missiles were put in Cuba before we even tried anything. ALso they had Czar missiles which was the most advanced nuke during that era. Since you support a man who tortured and starved his own people (Yes Fidel Castro) than you sir are no Jedi.

Yeah, coz supporting the US is so much better. Highest incarceration rate in the world, cops shoot you at will, CIA assassinates and tortures, only country to ever have deployed weapons of mass destruction on anyone, constantly meddling in other countries' internal affairs, etc. Don't try to pull that old "holier than thou no true jedi" crap on me.

Cops shoot at will? Ok well next time your getting robbed call a crack head and not the police :)

You've clearly never tasted the true efficacy of an addict in need.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #174898 by
Replied by on topic "The Interview" gets pulled
So yesterday select theaters showed 'The Interview' to completely sold out audiences. There's one point for the publicity stunt argument.

More
9 years 4 months ago #174999 by OB1Shinobi
Its no my place tell wrong or right for sony
I would not pull movie
I would publicize threats
theatres would then not play movie most likely and I would lose money. Im not howevrr motivated by profit so its different.

Fear is the dark side
Business is the green side

more fear more darkness
Always to act yes or no because afraid- is to give in to darkness

Act yes because yes is ones character
act no because no is ones character
and for me if I can resist domination by petty and cruel men then I feel no shame to man in mirror
if I bow to fear I will be vampire never sunlight and no reflection ever

And I think it was china anyway

People are complicated.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi