Japamala can be useful ?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #173459 by
Japamala can be useful ? was created by
Japamala is a Buddhist bead with 108 accounts and is used during meditation , is intended to count mantras usually , but can also be used to count breaths and stimulate the nervous and circulatory system.
I was wondering if this practice conflicts with the Jedi doctrine and if anyone knows something about the technique really helps.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #173462 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Japamala can be useful ?
It's no problem.... I imagine they could be quite useful!!

Generally speaking, I imagine anything would have to conflict with something in the Doctrine or rules to be considered unsuitable - so you can always cross reference those materials if in doubt about something unusual. It's what we'd do to answer I guess, but yes also feel free to ask, its a good topic starter!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #173493 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Japamala can be useful ?

MrBruno wrote: Japamala is a Buddhist bead with 108 accounts and is used during meditation , is intended to count mantras usually , but can also be used to count breaths and stimulate the nervous and circulatory system.
I was wondering if this practice conflicts with the Jedi doctrine and if anyone knows something about the technique really helps.

I made a Japamala out of jade and wooden beads last year some time... I did find it helpful. The one I made I ended up giving to someone else as a gift, but I have something similar that I use instead.

They are additionally helpful to count breaths when I'm stressed.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Edan.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #173496 by
Replied by on topic Japamala can be useful ?
In terms of what conflicts with Jedi doctrine, you can read the whole of this Temple's doctrine here in about 10 minutes. If it helps you move towards the kinds of things spoken about on the doctrine page, and doesn't conflict with other aspects mentioned there, go for it.

I have used mala beads before, and they were useful for me up to a point. These days I still practice mantra based meditation as my primary form, but I've given up on counting. A timer works better for me, I find I'm less distracted waiting for the guru bead to turn up.

Meditation is such a personal thing it's really hard to advise someone on what will or won't work for them. My best advice is just to give things a try and keep what works for you.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #173499 by
I asked now because I have not got the lesson on the Doctrine of the temple.
To some extent I am afraid , because before I was a Christian and Practically Everything is against the Christian Doctrine ; I'm still getting used to this whole Freedom
I'm looking for techniques to refine my meditation , and ran into the Japamala . Tell accounts helps concentration and empty the mind naturally, without force , a natural silence.
Some time ago I went to a Buddhist temple and the monks taught me a few things , but one of them said that there are techniques that they only share with the older students.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 4 months ago #173502 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Japamala can be useful ?
The "freedom" you are noticing applies to every personal thought you can have...

Most (all? I can't think of any, but say "most" anyway, lol) most of our rules apply to the website....

We (TOTJO) does not tell you how to act, or think... Not officially....

There are ongoing conversations about "profanity" and "manners" but they are conversations, not policies...:)

Most conflicts I've seen are when people try to hold on to their "old ways"... The "old ways" often don't like change...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #173522 by

MrBruno wrote: Japamala is a Buddhist bead with 108 accounts and is used during meditation , is intended to count mantras usually , but can also be used to count breaths and stimulate the nervous and circulatory system.

I breath count in set of ten X ten times. I try to do 2 sets. 3 sets are nirvana, sort of. Try it if this works for great. If not try something else.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #173523 by
As I used to be a practicing Catholic, I understand how certain Christian doctrine can be very oppressive. That being said, I have incorporated certain parts of the Catholic doctrine that I find useful into my own personal Jedi path. That includes using Rosary beads in a similar manner that some use japamala. Rather than counting Hail Marys and Saints, I use my Rosary to count breaths.

As to my opinion about conflicts with the TotJO Doctrine, I believe that the Force is all inclusive. Jediism, as a syncretic religion, can live side by side with other religions and even include them in one's personal hero's journey. I include philosophies of Buhddism, Islam, Toaism, Bushido, and many more into what my idea of the kind of person a Jedi should strive to be. They are guides; tools, if you will. As an example, I may not worship Jesus Christ the way I used to growing up, but I still think he was a pretty awesome guy and someone I consider to be a great example of being a beacon of light for others to follow.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #173529 by
Thanks everyone for the advice. It has been very useful indeed . If anyone has any other technique of using rosaries for meditation , please.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #173549 by
The 'Hail Mary' prayer itself can actually work as a mantra. Mantras are a word, phrase or syllable that is repeated over and over to aid in meditation. Sounds kind of like 'Amen', right? Catholics are taught to repeat the 'Hail Mary' for similar reasons. One reason is to help you focus on the conversation with God.

If you stop focusing on the meaning of the words in the 'Hail Mary' and simply repeat the 'Hail Mary' as words and sounds in a rhythmic fashion, it actually works very well as a mantra for meditation. Combined with counting the Rosary beads as you go or using the beads to keep track of your breaths, it can be a very effective aid to meditation.

I also like to start at the cross and then the work my way around the Rosary touching each bead for a few seconds until I get back to the cross. When I get there, it's a gentle reminder from Jesus to take a deep breath and get back to the business of living. :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi