Christmas Service

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167529 by
Christmas Service was created by
As I am sure we are all aware Christmas will soon be upon us and I am sure we are all looking forward to the good times it brings. I usually spend the day at my mothers house but my second year with the little one the day will be split at half the day at our house with her folks and then the night at my mothers house with a 4 course meal with all the lovely sides and puddings.

However whilst we enjoy the day with our families and exchange gifts over a warm fire there are many people who are going to go without. There are many homeless people on the streets who on Christmas aren't going to have that warm fire, tree, gifts or even a one course meal. Christmas will not be that same happy day that we know.

As Jedi we are of service to others and I feel this is a great opportunity to help those who are not as fortunate. So I ask you to hear me out.

I am going to create small boxes with a few "gifts" inside to give to the homeless and I ask that you join me in this Christmas service. A couple of bottles of water, some fruit, a bar of chocolate, some hand warmers if its cold, some sandwiches anything you would be willing to go out your way to provide. I am not asking you to go and spend a lot of money on this and even if you can only make one box for one unfortunate person that is good enough. This can be as cheep as you can make it and I am sure the homeless who will go without will greatly appreciate not just the gift but the fact you gave them your time to help out.

If anyone is willing to join me on this Christmas service that would be excellent. We can create a small facebook group to round up some people to do what we can to make this Christmas a little better for those who don't have much to celebrate.

May the Force be with you.
Tai

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167555 by
Replied by on topic Christmas Service
Facebook link for anyone interested.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/christmasserviceforhomeless/

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167855 by
I think that is a great idea. I'd also have a suggestion, that for the boxes we handout / ship out that we put something in the box as well that would be about Jedi, that way we can increase awareness as well as help others. Maybe it could be the Jedi Code, something else. Or if the Council is supportive of this idea and wants TOTJO to sponsor it, that could make something, and put their logo and URL on it as well. Just a thought, will leave that up to the Council to discuss that, if they wish. :)

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #167867 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic Christmas Service

taidavrikaurvan wrote: As I am sure we are all aware Christmas will soon be upon us and I am sure we are all looking forward to the good times it brings. I usually spend the day at my mothers house but my second year with the little one the day will be split at half the day at our house with her folks and then the night at my mothers house with a 4 course meal with all the lovely sides and puddings.

However whilst we enjoy the day with our families and exchange gifts over a warm fire there are many people who are going to go without. There are many homeless people on the streets who on Christmas aren't going to have that warm fire, tree, gifts or even a one course meal. Christmas will not be that same happy day that we know.

As Jedi we are of service to others and I feel this is a great opportunity to help those who are not as fortunate. So I ask you to hear me out.

I am going to create small boxes with a few "gifts" inside to give to the homeless and I ask that you join me in this Christmas service. A couple of bottles of water, some fruit, a bar of chocolate, some hand warmers if its cold, some sandwiches anything you would be willing to go out your way to provide. I am not asking you to go and spend a lot of money on this and even if you can only make one box for one unfortunate person that is good enough. This can be as cheep as you can make it and I am sure the homeless who will go without will greatly appreciate not just the gift but the fact you gave them your time to help out.

If anyone is willing to join me on this Christmas service that would be excellent. We can create a small facebook group to round up some people to do what we can to make this Christmas a little better for those who don't have much to celebrate.

May the Force be with you.
Tai

Fortunately, I live in a country where there aren't many homeless / people in distress. But coincidentally, I just got word that our local Catholic and Protestant churches must have read your mind: they're organizing a present drop-off. The presents should contain 1 toy, some chocolate and some crayons and pencils and will be collected and sent to desperate children in the Ukraine, Belarus, Georgia, Russia etc. My wife and I have already decided to participate. So while I can't physically contribute to your cause due to my geographical location, we'll be doing the same here in Switzerland and I hope that many others here will contribute to your and to similar causes.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Cyan Sarden.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167882 by
You'll be surprised how many distressed people there are. I agree with you that in some countries you won't find 2 dozen homeless people under every bridge. That doesn't mean there isn't a salvation army or something similar who gives those people a place to sleep. That not counting the people who do have a home but for example can't afford Christmas gifts for their kids.
They are there, they just arn't wearing a funny hat labelling them so.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167887 by
Thank you all for the replies and some great ideas and suggestions.

Cyan that sounds great and it is good to know there are likeminded people.

Tex while there is the salvation army how many people ignore the homeless on the streets everyday? The reason I don't want to hand the boxes into an organisation is because I want to show them that people care enough to stop and speak to them. Show them they care you know.

More
9 years 5 months ago #167889 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic Christmas Service

Tex wrote: You'll be surprised how many distressed people there are. I agree with you that in some countries you won't find 2 dozen homeless people under every bridge. That doesn't mean there isn't a salvation army or something similar who gives those people a place to sleep. That not counting the people who do have a home but for example can't afford Christmas gifts for their kids.
They are there, they just arn't wearing a funny hat labelling them so.

Totally - I'm not saying there aren't any people in need here - it's just that I wouldn't know how to perform this particular act in my surroundings, so I'm glad that the church here offers me the opportunity to do this nevertheless.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi