Inmate complains that prison 'bigots' are preventing him from practising his JEDI religion

More
10 years 4 days ago #145461 by Alethea Thompson
Looks like ToTJO got named:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/471647/Star-Wars-Jedi-prisoners-planning-to-sue-prison-service-for-not-recognising-religion

"There are at least 50 Jedi convicts in UK jails and a number of them have contacted the Jedi Knight Society and Temple of the Jedi Order to get backing for their "long" legal fight."

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 days ago #145462 by
A census just lists stuff, it has zero authority, so cannot officially recognise anything lol.

That stuff about Yavin 4? Umm... what?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 days ago #145463 by

Alethea Thompson wrote: Looks like ToTJO got named:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/471647/Star-Wars-Jedi-prisoners-planning-to-sue-prison-service-for-not-recognising-religion

"There are at least 50 Jedi convicts in UK jails and a number of them have contacted the Jedi Knight Society and Temple of the Jedi Order to get backing for their "long" legal fight."

We have never been contacted, certainly not as far as I'm aware.

More
10 years 4 days ago #145470 by Ben
It's actually not the first time that TOTJO has been referenced in the Daily Mail.

I noticed during my absence in the autumn that they ripped off the Details article. By the time I returned I forgot to flag it up. The Daily Mail version even embedded a brief snippet of video from Wescli's Knighthood Ceremony (which annoyed me somewhat as I assumed that they didn't check that we were okay with that...) and provided a hyperlink to our Youtube channel underneath it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2465445/Jediism-THOUSANDS-believe-religion-based-Star-Wars-franchise.htm

B.Div | OCP

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 days ago - 10 years 4 days ago #145472 by
Anyone else find it amusing that in the Daily Mail (Inmate) article the link to TotJO (after the blue box containing the 18 recognized religions) is simply listed as "Home"? :)
Last edit: 10 years 4 days ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 days ago #145477 by
V, the article was posted here I think, and they don't need our permission for that video, it only matters if it is slanderous etc, anything non-private on youtube is fair use.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 4 days ago #145482 by ren
Many religions are missing from this list (although, should there really be a list?). And i'm not sure why. Is it because no criminal ever happened to be taoist? Are many prisoners zoroastrian?

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
10 years 4 days ago #145484 by Ben
I don't think the Daily Mail version was linked to on this site (certainly not in this News section), it seemed that it slipped through the radar...

I know they don't need permission and that when we post something on YouTube we more or less sign away the rights to it, but as it only features three clearly identifiable individuals, it seems to me that it would be polite to say "we'd like you to know that we're using your material..."

But, I suppose that it would be very foolish of me to expect the Daily Mail, of all sites, to live by my standards of social etiquette... ;)

But was just sayin'...although that annoyed me on principle, I guess it's good that they obviously know who we are and have now mentioned us specifically more than once. And both times with parts of our genuine doctrine referenced. Alexa currently has the DM at 96th most-visited website in the world...it's a big audience.

B.Div | OCP

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 4 days ago #145486 by ren
V, they simply inserted a youtube video into their article, they don't need to do anything, or ask anyone. It's quite literally a link, which isn't copyrightable.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
10 years 4 days ago #145491 by Edan

V-Tog wrote: Alexa currently has the DM at 96th most-visited website in the world...it's a big audience.

On a slightly off-topic point (I apologise), if you search for TOTJO on Alexa, the fifth of the top five search terms that lead to this site is 'r2d2 translator'. :laugh:

It won't let me have a blank signature ...