Spritz - Reading up to 1000 words per minute

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #140659 by
I'm posting this partly to remind myself to look into this in the next few weeks, but also because it is just awesome.

There is a new app being developed that rapidly increases the words-per-minute speed of your reading. I can't wait to try it out proper.

http://tab.co.uk/2014/03/06/speedy-reading-new-app-will-help-you-finish-an-entire-book-in-90-minutes/?noset

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #140660 by
What books would you want to use this for, and which ones wouldn't you want to use this for?

I wouldn't want to read a novel like this. Maybe it would remove the fun of reading it. But, if I wanted to read the Bible in a day or two... lol. Or, a science textbook for an overview. Or, a manual on building a car...

I could see it being very useful in some situations.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 1 month ago #140661 by Jestor
I bought a speed reading program a few years ago, it trained your eyes to move quicker, and with more precision...

This looks VERY cool, lol...

And I will probably buy it too, lol...

The program I purchased was about $200USD, if I remember right, and did seem to work....

But, becasue the muscles of your eyes were being trained to move faster, and more efficently, you have to maintain the practice, and practice an hour a week (If I remember right)...

Well, at that rate, I fell off, lol...

I am a fast reader, but, I think because I skip words, most often the little words, but, occasionally bigger words, and get told to reread something, becasue I missed a point...

While it will be interesting, I wonder how it would help on standard things, like PDFs and walls of text like in a legal document...

Im very interested too...

The program I have, also claims better retention at remembering what you read... I wonder about this...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #140662 by
I have heard that this program claims better retention as well as better comprehension. And the whole point is that you can read faster because your eyes don't have to move at all. So it could potentially help you read even faster than something that was helping you train to move your eyes faster. It would suck if you missed a word though or hit a word you didn't know. You could get backed up very quickly if you weren't confident with the words you were reading.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
10 years 1 month ago #140665 by Jestor

William CM wrote: I have heard that this program claims better retention as well as better comprehension. And the whole point is that you can read faster because your eyes don't have to move at all. So it could potentially help you read even faster than something that was helping you train to move your eyes faster. It would suck if you missed a word though or hit a word you didn't know. You could get backed up very quickly if you weren't confident with the words you were reading.

I just went back to it, and reread the 500 word speed...

It does claim that... lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #140666 by
Well there can be lots of reading that needs doing for university, I hope this is compatible with PDFs, because that would help a lot lol.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #140668 by
Oh man, that would be incredible!

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #140678 by Proteus
This is nothing new. These things have been around for many years.

Also... did somebody mention something about having to pay for this?

http://www.spreeder.com/

There are all kinds of these all over the web, of different types too, that do this, without having to pay anything for it.

Also, while these little apps help the brain to recognize and process words faster, it fails to train the eye's back-forth twitch which is responsible for our rhythm of scannining lines of text.

A better trainer would be one that takes a line, or even paragraph, and highlights a certain amount of words in it to guide you to glance at the group of words to process it altogether, and untrain them to process each word one at a time. This would also have to untrain your tendency to mentally say each word to yourself, as this also plays a role in slowing you down. People who can read very fast and thoroughly have trained themselves to remove that extra process of mental verbalization while they read, and instead process each idea that a group of words represents directly. This is what you want a trainer to do.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Proteus.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
10 years 1 month ago #140680 by Jestor
Not necessarily Proteus..

Proteus wrote: A better trainer would be one that takes a line, or even paragraph, and highlights a certain amount of words in it to guide you to glance at the group of words to process it altogether, and untrain them to process each word one at a time.

http://www.spritzinc.com/the-science/

There are lots of other reading techniques out there such as skimming (not reading every word), avoiding sub-vocalization (talking to yourself while reading) and enlarging the peripheral span (reading an entire page at a time by mental “snapshot”) that attempt to increase reading speeds. While these methods can be effective, achieving significant improvement requires intensive, continuous training and dedication. By contrast, spritzing can be learned in less than 5 minutes and, if you don’t spritz for a month, no practice is needed to return quickly to your previous speed or skill-level.

I have done the speed reading stuff to improve my speed and retention...;)

This is promising...

I think...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #140681 by
The point is that this, while it is a 'skill', is only possible through an App. That's the key difference between this and other methods.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi