First LED saber

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Re: First LED saber 30 Apr 2012 19:46 #58426

The problem is that Ultrasabers is having very good low pricing. Where it comes to good quality you will not find anything in that price range. What I think is trustable that is not manufacturing (almost) exclusively unique sabers (but in fact even MHS sabers) is JQ Sabers (jqsabers.com). GrandMaster Kana Seiko as to my information bought some of his sabers there. They seem to be respected in the branch they work in (ultrasabers got its issues braking contracts etc) and reviews I am aware of show products with apparently proper work invested. Also, they do not highlight their products but feature reviews coming from customers.

Where it comes to entirely custom handcrafted (and reasonably expensive) sabers, Vader's Vault (vadersvault.com) are having one of the best reputations.

There are others such as Genesis Custom Sabers (genesiscustomsabers.com) and LDM (ldmcustomsabers.com) with good reps, but I'm not certain about the quality they offer where it comes to original and beautiful custom designs and about how appropriate their prices are.

Oh, and since custom builds may take months (not to mention the build logs), JQ (or Vader's stunt sabers) is probably what you are looking for. Maybe until Christmas there'd be time for other options.
To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the human spirit. - Stephen W. Hawking
Last Edit: 30 Apr 2012 19:53 by Gisteron.

Re: First LED saber 30 Apr 2012 22:04 #58437

Just so everyone knows, thecustomsabershop now has electronics module kits, so even if you're not good with electronics, you can just order the parts and plug them in. No soldering! He also has a ton of new parts, so almost any design you can think of, you can reasonably build yourself. There's plenty of sabersmiths on the forums who can help you out if you get stuck.

Vader's Vault does have great quality sabers, but be prepared to spend around $1000 or more, and he has a pretty long back log.

First LED saber 30 Apr 2012 22:57 #58441

Definitely going to be getting a lightsaber from Ultra Sabers as a gift to myself when I complete the Initiates program. I've been lurking that website for a few weeks and absolutely love the work they do.
Love Is My Religion

Re: First LED saber 01 May 2012 04:15 #58471

Yes, that is because they do not show the downsides like lacking of any LED optics, glued (instead of screwed) parts on the inside, tape attachments of wires and modules, lack of fixation for the most fragile modules, fragile so-called "heavy duty" blades with their heaviness given through plastic wrap.
No customer support on problems, deletions and bans for any critic comment or question, violation of copyright laws through distributing commercial sound fonts, violation of their contract with TCSS through providing saber parts and MHS compatible parts (which is btw a trademark of TCSS either)...
Okay, nothing else that comes to my mind right now, but do you need any more reasons to check out every alternative to and every quality of the UltraSabers company? I don't.

There are two upside though: Their hilt designs are pretty neat so one could buy just the hilt parts and the prices they sell their work at are just appropriately low for the sloppy products their offer. So, one gets what one should expect for the money (meaning not what they promise). Wether this makes a product worth investing into though I dare questioning. Most of us could spend the same money on TCSS and craft a saber all by themselves that in the long run at least would be durable and functional at all.
To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the human spirit. - Stephen W. Hawking
Last Edit: 01 May 2012 04:25 by Gisteron.

Re: First LED saber 02 May 2012 15:14 #58703

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 3037
ultrasabers must of changed since i bought mine a few years ago...i've put it through the wringer and it's still working perfectly...are you talking about their low end sabers?...mine was an MHS saber from them with the last of the old soundboards(they changed to the usb2.0 soundboard)...all my electronics still work like new and my blade has yet to even get a crinkle in it...i've even let my nephew(who's notoriously destructive) use it
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.
sometimes you have to enter the darkness to save the light
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
J.l.lawson, knight, b.div, o.c.p
Intake officer, Eastern Studies S.I.G advisor
Former masters: GM KanaSeikoHaruki, Br.John
Current Apprentices: Raikoutenshi, Zenchi, Baru

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • alternatives to Facebook? (Last post by baru)
    • since FB seems to be targeting Jedi oriented user names, do you think its worth it to "push back" on FB for religious persecution?
    • Jedi and Drugs (Last post by 6h057)
    • Based solely on my own experiences and observations, LSD and Entheogens in general are not necessarily used for exploration of external space, but rather internal space. Your 'vision' of external space begins to fall in line with you perceive as your internal life. You project the beauty or ugliness you see in yourself at that moment onto the world. Not as an actual divorce from reality, but as an understanding of, this is what I'm experiencing inside myself right now. It helps you to pick out the internal and external factors that lead to your current mental and emotional state and understand interdependence. From what I see in the culture surrounding these particular substances, people don't see them as recreational at all. More as a powerful tool. Timothy Leary, et al. all believe that it was something to be done carefully and with great respect for the experience. There should always be someone present that functions as ground control for you when you go down this path. The only way for one to understand consciousness is to experiment with it. Limit it, expand it, alter it, whatever you need to do in order to observe the change that happens. Since it is intangible and only observable by the person in the experience, we have to rely on subjective experience. Then again, consciousness IS subjective experience. Without a sense of self or separateness, we can't experience what it means to be objective in the first place, to even experience belonging. Meditation can get you to these places with immense amounts of practice, sure. But there is a reason that scientists and doctors both use Entheogens to assist in the study of consciousness, because the results can be acquired in a regular and predictable time frame. Do I think that these substances can be considered useful to Jedi? Absolutely. I've had a few eureka moments because of LSD, Dipropyl-Triptamine and Mushrooms. I would say that my current understanding of the flux of energy in the universe and how karma/law of reciprocal energy exchange work are rooted in these experiences. I wouldn't have broken through my religious indoctrination as a Conservative Christian or dealt with my history of sexual abuse as positively if I didn't have a history with these chemicals. Dipropyl-Triptamine (DPT) is actually legal to possess, the experience is rather short lived and quite enlightening. It's my favorite of these kind of experiences. Am I advocating? No. Be responsible and enter at your own risk. You're playing with your mind here. Those of unsound mind should avoid at all costs.
    • Today I.... (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • Spoke with a Democratic Party Organizer at Starbucks. He is awesome, the reason he got involved in politics is to get people to exercise their right to vote in order to exact the change they want in the world. ^^ When he and I talked, he didn't once try to talk me into voting for Hilary either- instead we spoke on the concerns we had with different policies- one particular one being Obamacare. After listening to my one and only real grip with it, he ended up suggesting that I look into an Independent candidate. We spoke in great depth on the subject of how Bernie Sander's idea could work, and what problems which have been faced on the matter. He has a passion for building a means of retaining resources (environmental projects), which is a major part of why he believes in the Democratic Party. The knowledge he possesses on the subject of water problems is vast, and the gentleman is only 23 with a lot of experience. Today, I held a good conversation with someone that is in an opposite party to my own. Neither one pushing our ideologies onto one another, just a good talk, with valuable information- and a shared interest in inspiring others to vote regardless of whether they agree with our concerns or not. :)
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Kamizu)
    • You know, Anxiety, I'm really tired of your @)$(*. You've been clinging to my back all week. Go. Away. I'm going to be flying solo as a parent for the next three days and I don't need your 'help'. *)@* off!
    • Ethics - Stop just saying the word (Last post by Adder)
    • Is every choice we make motivated by a moral consideration? I doubt it. Does not every soldier and officer choose to obey until such time where their conscience wouldn't let them? Pretty much. I think 'to obey' is being cast as the wrong way to look at it, such that orders are not standalone instructions but parameters within a larger set of instructions - which do include the individual's welfare to some extent and recognition that the individual might have access to information which could influence those parameters and thus the order (where applicable). And on that note, is it not ludicrous to presume that without sitting together in a circle of arm chairs and discuss fundamentals of morality an armyman would be nothing but a mindless robot executing a program thrust at him from up above? I don't think that is an accurate presumption but it would be ludicrous if it was. Are they any less human than the rest of us? I say ludicrous to avoid calling it insulting to their characters. I'd imagine warfighting can be quite dehumanizing. But of course there is more. I shall assume a consequentionalist position in this paragraph and would like in advance to point out that I recognize its limits and hold to other mechanisms beyond those. Yeap, I'd say so. Say you have an officer executing a particular either morally justifiable or neutral command according to themselves, their COs and the observer. If you must not ask the officer whether they made it by choice or out of obedience, could you tell the difference? Nope, I guess not. And if you cannot tell a difference, why would it possibly make one, again, unless you presume that an obedient soldier in one morally unobjectionable situation would never ever disobey an evil command? Because being engaged in knowing the circumstances of decision making is required to keep information accurate or improved versus not knowing and just making decisions - and in complex fast paced situations training is designed to solve problems fast, but this can easily be at the expense of accuracy, sometimes there is no choice but I think its a discussion about focus within the context of warfighting. And in fact what about morally neutral actions? What about things that you wouldn't do without being commanded, not because they are evil, but just because it wouldn't cross your mind for any other reason? Dunno, what about them? What is wrong about obedience in a structure that heavily relies on a solid chain of command? And if you would do the things you happen to be commanded regardless, then why would you need that command structure in the first place? Chain's of command associate responsibility to sets of duties, and the resultant access to information and authority to accomplish that. It's not about replacing the individual decision making with authority so I'm not sure what your argument is. Civilian society works without a universal command structure penetrating it throughout and people do what they deem moral and avoid what they deem immoral and for the most part that works just fine. Could it be that there is a very good reason a system like that couldn't work for an armed defense force? Yep, because information and authority would not be able to be used effectively for the purposes being discussed. Finally, all of this assumes that choice is something free. Well, I didn't choose what motivates me. I didn't choose where and when and to whom I was born or how they raised me or the course of my life beyond the family. I have no say in what thoughts occur to me or the feelings I experience or why. Whenever I stop myself from a particular course of action, I do so because of a new thought or feeling that came to stop me without me having a choice in the matter. No matter how I twist it, at the end of the day I am a slave to mechanisms, causal, random or both, within my brain and outside of it, current and past, over which I neither ever had control nor, as far as I know, ever could have any control over. Just because our sense of agency is accepted in our society as to being an individual entity, with associated responsibilities (and rights) which are exerted over that by society. How we relate to this as individuals is through some nature of sentience - and its this ability which we engineer temporally to observe and interact beyond that agency of self. The how of how we are able is what is being discussed, in a small way :silly: Of course that free will is a notion that makes no sense on any level may be impractical, and I seldom raise the problems with it, because in the end we are influenced by our thoughts and our sharing them and that is good enough with and without free will, but if the issue specifically emphasizes the importance of choice in a matter, perhaps we should consider whether choice is something we have to begin with. Not useful on the battlefield perhaps LOL
    • Edan, Knighthood, Announcement and Ceremony, 2015 (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: Many congratulations, Edan. Very much looking forward to being able to share in the occasion with you. :) I am pleased I can share it properly with some of my fellow Jedi, however I won't pretend the prospect doesn't scare the hell out of me a little! If you fluff your lines you have to go back to the beginning of Apprenticeship and start again... :whistle: I don't think Jestor would mind too much :P
    • NO CHLORINE IN POOLS? CRAZY! (Last post by Adder)
    • I gotta salt water pool, and unfortunately it still has chlorine in it. It's got a widget thingamebob attached to the pump and filter which chlorinates the salt water as it pumps water through. It's much better then physically keeping chlorine levels high in a pool, because the salt seems to do most of the work, and the chlorination just adds a bit to kill the algae. So its not as bad as a chlorine pool, but not chlorine free. At least as far as my experience of them goes. When I"m too lazy to use it (like through winter) and don't want to spend a fortune running the pump every day I will just throw in a chlorine tablet and treat it like a chlorine pool until summer rocks up and then let the chlorine levels drop and start using the pump and chlorinator again for reduced chlorine swimming (or floating around as I prefer). Love the link in the OP!!! Wow, add fish for company :silly:
    • "The Death of Expertise" (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: @Gisteron Interesting, thank you! I value your opinion. Also, I'm just going to point out that I previously mentioned appeals to authority being logical fallacies, and this point is in fact addressed in the article, which I would have known had I read the article before responding! :D Appeals to authority are only fallacies in certain situations and contexts, most of which involve using such appeals to attempt to negate opposing evidence, or when cited with no supporting evidence of their own.
    • Watch what happens when regular people try to use ... (Last post by Goken)
    • I would like to point out that it repeatedly stated that people without firearms training were the issue. They said that they used people with varying degrees of training but then only compared people with no training to police officers. What about the citizens with a good amount of training? People like myself, who carry a gun on a regular basis but also have years of training not only in using the firearm but in handling those kinds of situations, would most likely react more like the officers. Of course throwing someone with no training into that situation would be bad. The same thing would happen if you threw someone with no experience driving into a high speed chase then compared them to a cop in a high speed pursuit. Also, many cities with strict hand gun laws (including entire bans) have loads of gun related violence. Then when guns are allowed in those cities the gun violence seems to go down. Here are some articles about the decrease in violence in Chicago since enacting a concealed carry law: http://www.illinoismirror.com/one-year-after-concealed-carry-chicago-homicide-rate-plunges-to-56-year-low/ http://truthinmedia.com/crime-rates-in-chicago-plummet-after-il-implements-concealed-carry/ The idea always seems to be that if someone is pro-gun they are pro-buy-as-many-guns-as-you-want-and-don't-register-them-or-bother-training-with-them. That's not true. The average person who wants to carry a gun wants to train with it and know how to use it. If a person isn't willing to train with a gun then they shouldn't be allowed to carry it. That is what I got out of that article and I couldn't agree more.
    • TotJO on Vice (French) (Last post by mdk)
    • Merci Alex. Belle representation. On peut se sentir fier d'être Jedi ;) (bien que ça ne soit pas le but, bien sûr)
    • Terrance McKenna - Reclaim your mind (Last post by Connor L.)
    • I think you're definitely right. That's why I listed out my Hierarchy of Creative Achievement above. We have to have foundations, fulfillment, a sense of purpose, a compassionate mind (toward the self and others), a connective spirit and attitude of service, and then be able to have a feeling of Artistic Achievement. Without foundations, we are lost in our inability to stay alive. Without fulfillment, we are forever searching for something we don't have. Without a sense of purpose (notice: I didn't say actually having a purpose), we continue to try and fill a void which does not exist. Without compassion, we only seek to fulfill the self, therefore the art is not reaching out... only pulling in. Without a spirit of service, the art is cold and unfeeling. But, with all those in place, the art is magical. We can be an artistic Engineer. An artistic Blacksmith. An artistic Janitor. Or, even, yes, an artistic Painter, poet, writer, etc. Art must be supported by the rest of the foundational material. Which, I think, must come from having a good relationship with our mind and spirit. Which, is the point I think McKenna is trying to make.
    • online education and e-learning (Last post by Adder)
    • Do you have much experience with different e-learning websites? I've done heaps (too many am burnt out lol) at Coursera, and had a look at various other MOOCs such as EdX. I think the Uni I did postgrad at used an early version of Moodle but that was awhile ago now. What qualities in an online class do you like? What do you "not like"? Video lectures, and the speed up playback option of Coursera was great as some lecturers speak a little slow sometimes. I like a tight assessment process such as a timer - as without the pressure it does not forge learning IMO. I liked provision of lecture content such as text and images available as separate downloads to assist self study. The forum mediated participation has potential but would need to be much more structured, perhaps like more like a live lecture in 'text' form but over 24 hours and not actually live. I was never able to participate in live video lectures due to timezones so unable to comment on that. I don't like self paced stuff so much... the internet is big enough already for me to self pace in basically anything, so I think an online class should push the student through a body of material as a supported process of mental exercise. What sites rise to the top? Coursera was my fav, of those few I tried. Has anyone used google classroom? Nope, I had not heard of it, will have a look though, thanks!

There are 473 visitors, 6 guests and 51 members online (2  in chat): Br. John, Sarus, Grom Fett, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Shadouness, baru, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, Kitsu Tails, Connor L., Adhara, V-Tog, isisinabi, Xaii, Archaic Smile, PatrickB, Kamizu, Edan, klyde, Avalonslight, Senan, Pyrus Erath, Cabur Senaar, Ratcliffe, Cristris_Jons, Goken, Tarran, Morrison, Archpoet, Loudzoo, Krieger, Howl, Protonix, Tellahane, herbalc, Corsair Gorscue, adventureexcitement242, WRRPhoto, Spartanmeup, 6h057, Trazyn4211, ZenJo, Grinch320.

Follow Us