Healthy Whole Grains Are ANYTHING But Healthy

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 11 months ago #192274 by ren

CryojenX wrote:

ren wrote: Your body isn't being lobbied, quite grains, go paleo, see the results for yourself. I don't regret switching wheat products for meat/veg/fruits at all.

You are correct. Regardless of the causes, I have felt very noticeable quality of life improvements since I began avoiding such products. I suppose Proteus' challenge cast me into self doubt, and fear began ruling my judgement. If anything, I believe the real problem may not just be one of gluten, but rather of glyphosphate pesticides (AKA Roundup), which are used not just as pesticides, but in the case of wheat the non-GMO crops are drenched in stuff 3 to 7 days before harvest, because it kills the plants. This may seem contradictory, however as the plant is dying, it gives a last gasp so to speak, and releases more seeds that it naturally would have. Glyphosphate use on dessicated seeds causes the kernels to absorb the roundup as it would any moisture, with long term toxic effects.

With the budgetary constraints my family and I are under, buying organic isn't very practical. Regardless, I let fear of making the wrong choice affect my behavior. Thank you for helping me to see this.

I think it may be down to nutrients per calorie. I don't eat organic, so the foods I eat instead of grain have just as likely been tampered with, especially fruits... When it comes to nutrients though, grains are mostly high calorie and don't contain much of anything else....

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #192277 by OB1Shinobi
this is relevant

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/whole-grain-foods-not-always-healthful/

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #192279 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: this is relevant

That really does give the whole topic another layer of "things that make you go hmmm...", doesn't it?

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #192280 by OB1Shinobi
theres a lot of stuff to sort through

the gist of what ive found suggests that even if wheat is generally good for you (which is not that strong of a claim - its biggest PRO was that it was MORE healthy than processed and enriched alternatives - which could (loosely i admit) be kind of like saying that chewing tobacco is MORE healthy than smoking cigarettes) the term 'wheat" or "whole wheat" is basically a lie in many cases

"paleo diet" theory makes more sense to me than anything else

i dont think its reasonable to deny the value of eating the foods that we evolved with as a species, and eating them in basically the same way that we ate them as we evolved

i agree that there is constant hype in diet and nutrition campaigns - and its important not to just accept whatever anyone says

i would especially point out that as a general rule it is a bad idea to trust (in this case the grain) industry to tell you if a product they sell is healthy

it is proven by history time and again that industries lie blatantly and that they pay "scientists" to back them up

the ROUND UP connection you mentioned in a previous post is a huge factor imo

i dont recall if you posted link on that

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/real-reason-for-toxic-wheat-its-not-gluten/

anything monsanto touches in any way should be considered poison imo

the difficult part is how to get away from them

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #192288 by Adder
Gluten definitely does cause serious problems for some people, I've seen it first hand with my partner. The medical establishment were clueless about it [medical condition], and some even denied it [gluten cause] 'after' the fact... to protect their incompetence/arrogance/business model which had otherwise not only failed but made things worse
:(
Living is learning I guess, so don't assume (much), caution belief... and try not to be fooled :lol: :blink:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Adder.

• ren
    Registered
More
8 years 11 months ago #192290 by ren
The only thing people have to say against the paleo diet is that we may very well have evolved to digest other foods... Which may be true, except it doesn't invalidate the paleo diet as a balanced healthy diet in any way... And we may as well enjoy it while it lasts, it's not like with all the pollution we'll be able to eat living things for much longer.
Just recently the EU had to relax their rules for toxins in fish as it's becoming increasingly difficult to get safe-enough specimens... Can't eat fish more than three times a week because of the levels of mercury in them, avoid it altogether if pregnant...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #192298 by
Hundreds of thousands of people grow to be 80-100 with all kinds of diets. One lady made it to 100 drinking 3 dr peppers a day. That's insane.

Each body is different.

But, there are some things we can see with trends:
1. No sugar = good for blood sugar levels. If blood sugar levels are spiking, we will have an imbalance in hormones: http://dtc.ucsf.edu/types-of-diabetes/type1/understanding-type-1-diabetes/how-the-body-processes-sugar/blood-sugar-other-hormones/

And, this imbalance can lead to all kinds of weird issues. Could make us irritable. Could make us lethargic. Lots of possibilities. Of course, it may also do none of those things. We all react to hormones differently.

2. Being Obese is never good. And, time and time again, we see that carb-rich foods will lead us to a gut. If you exercise for two hours a day, eat all the tacos you want. If you're like me and you lead a mostly sedentary life, I'd advise getting lettuce wraps. http://www.webmd.com/diet/20150105/study-debunks-notion-of-healthy-obesity?page=1

3. Fat is not bad. I don't understand where this "fat is bad" idea. My parents have it. This article lists some pros AND cons of fat: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/111114p32.shtml

So, I've come to find that a good place to start is:
Moderate protein.
Moderate fat.
Few carbs.
Eat less than your BMR (what you burn just by being alive, calculators online) to lose weight.
Eat around your BMR to stay the same weight.
Eat more than your BMR if you are too skinny.

Now.. how you figure out how to do that... Oy. ;) I've been roughing that for years.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 11 months ago #192299 by RyuJin
there are good fats and bad fats....just like good sugars and bad sugars.. etc...

white bread is unhealthy because all of the nutrients are "bleached" out. i only eat wheat bread or whole grain....

at one point i was up to 264+ pounds...this wasn't because of any particular food, but due to limited activity and a lack of concern with what others think of me....i'm down to 187 pounds now...i still eat all the same things, i'm just a bit more active and changed the manner in which i prepared my foods, and the frequency i eat...i did this simply to prove to my sister and brother in law that i actually do know what i'm talking about with weight loss and fitness...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
8 years 11 months ago #192300 by Adder
One thing that tends to make fat 'bad' is that it might accumulate chemicals, which means things like medicines might need to be at a higher level to achieve a similar target impact which then increases the work by the liver to process excessive amounts to achieve that impact at the target site - but also that if the fat cell's are accumulating chemicals, then they can be released at a later time causing unexpected influences and interactions which might lead obesity to having statistical connections to things which might not themselves be a result of the accumulation of fat cells (rather the overlap of the impact from whats inside them).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioaccumulation

So I tend to view fat as an evolutionary offshoot for hibernation/winter mode which can sort of mimic your normal summer healthy diet in both energetic terms but also perhaps other chemicals which one might have settled on as healthy..... except we don't starve ourselves as a replacement for food anymore so I tend to view fat as largely redundant in a modern/future life. Makes the Paleo diet seem logical, eat berries and fruits all day for the established balance of nutrients, and then eat a meaty dinner before sleep to capture it in fat cells overnight from the meat - as a mechanism to combat scarcity. Just thinking out loud, I aint no foodie or scientist!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan,

• ren
    Registered
More
8 years 11 months ago #192329 by ren
Something I don't understand about wholegrain, is how it's healthier than processed ones? I mean, they contain pretty much the same things as the processed stuff, plus insoluble fibre. And insoluble fibre is useful for.... passing stools (It doesn't get digested). May cause irritable bowel syndrome. It's not all of them though, oats are fine for instance as they contain soluble fibres which apparently are good for the heart and cholesterol levels.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi